Hasek still has it

Two or less

Cool article on former Sabres goalie Dominik Hasek. He is dominating the KHL about about to win the goalkeeper of the week award at age 46. Crazy! Not sure to talk about our current Sabres besides fantasies of trades/management until we all wait for our savior Terry Pegula to come in and give us good news, i figured i'd post this article i read for those who care.

Hasek Aging Well

By BY JEFF Z. KLEIN AND STU HACKEL

Dominik Hasek, who turns 46 on Jan. 29, just keeps on rolling.

Widely considered modern hockey’s greatest goalie and now tending the nets for Spartak Moscow, Hasek added another to his long list of honors this month when he was named the Kontinental Hockey League’s goalkeeper of the week for winning three games, two by shutout.

Hasek has five shutouts Hasek’s statistics. this season, including four in eight games from Dec. 8 to Jan. 8. The second of those clean sheets, a 24-save effort in a 3-0 victory over Spartak’s archrival, CSKA Moscow, was a special one.

It made Hasek, at 45 years 327 days, the oldest goalie to record a shutout in a premier league. He surpassed another great, Jacques Plante, who was 45 years 325 days old and an Edmonton Oiler when he shut out the Michigan Stags, 7-0, in a World Hockey Association game in 1974.

Link- http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/hasek-aging-well/?ref=hockey

• 3 weeks later...

Dominik Hasek interviews with the NY Times-

Q.For the Sabres’ 40th anniversary, the Buffalo fans picked their all-time team. They voted you No. 1.

A.

Did this happen? [Yes.] I did not know this.

Q.

They picked you No. 1, ahead of Gil Perreault. It was something of a surprise.

A.

Well, you know, it’s probably because a lot of people are too young to remember Perreault, but they saw me play.

Link- http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/the-hasek-interview-k-h-l-is-a-different-hockey/?ref=sports

Mainly talks KHL vs. NHL.

definitely still the same old dom. One of these days im sure give him his due with a sabre sword and retired number.

Once everyone is a little less pissed about the situation he left the team with (demand a trade to a contender AND demand that said contender not give up a player of commensurate value in return), that will happen. In fact, maybe those wounds already have healed.

Maybe a certain new owner will have something to say about that.

I like the idea of Pegula brokering peace here. He'd have to go to Dom and tell him why a lot of fans are still upset. A guy like Dom might not even be aware of it. Dom could be asked to apologize. But Terry would also have to communicate with the fans, ask them to forgive and forget, make a statement something to the effect that, hey, let's not blame Dom for the situation in Buffalo hockey circa 2001 that forced him to ask for a trade. Blame it on the crooks.

As it stands, you just can't risk bringing back one of your top 2 all time players and having that player booed off the ice in a number retirement ceremony.

I like the idea of Pegula brokering peace here. He'd have to go to Dom and tell him why a lot of fans are still upset. A guy like Dom might not even be aware of it. Dom could be asked to apologize. But Terry would also have to communicate with the fans, ask them to forgive and forget, make a statement something to the effect that, hey, let's not blame Dom for the situation in Buffalo hockey circa 2001 that forced him to ask for a trade. Blame it on the crooks.

As it stands, you just can't risk bringing back one of your top 2 all time players and having that player booed off the ice in a number retirement ceremony.

And it always seemed like more of a management thing than a fan thing to me. If he really is the fan that they're making him out to be, he should be far more appreciative of what Hasek meant to this team than the typical owner would be.

I bet a WTF wave would be involved.

Nothing can beat Al Smith's final moment as a Sabre. I've attached the wikipedia description, which is quite accurate for those who don't remember:

One of the most infamous moments of his career came on February 13, 1977 when he quit the Buffalo Sabres. Reunited with former Maple Leafs coach Punch Imlach, now the Buffalo General Manager, Smith was to replace injured Sabres goalie Gerry Desjardins in a game against the Minnesota North Stars. The Sabres had also called up Don Edwards and less than an hour before gametime, Imlach ordered Sabres coach Floyd Smith to play Edwards instead.[1] After the playing of the National Anthem, Smith stepped off the bench, saluted Buffalo owners Seymour and Northrup Knox and headed for the dressing room.

The trade to Detroit was a good trade for our goalie legend.

He can end his career with the knowledge that he has won the cup once. Ok not with Buffalo, but we will win it anyway.

Boston did the same wit Ray Bourque and i thinks this is just fair.

LaLaLafontaine

The difference is, Bourque didn't force the trade. Boston came to Bourque with the idea. It was a goodwill gesture on Boston's part, just like when Buffalo offered to trade Mike Ramsey to a SC contender near the end of his career. Hasek forced his trade and demanded the terms of the trade. If he didn't get his way he had every intention of taking his puck and going back to the Czech Republic. That trade scuttled the Sabres for quite a few years.

@weave: yes there s a difference. But he did not saw any perspective at this time and Buffalo did not make an offer like Boston.

And you can not be one of the greatest goalies without a Stanley cup championship.

I understand that some fans may have a problem with this story, but for me this ok.

LaLaLafontaine

Nothing can beat Al Smith's final moment as a Sabre. I've attached the wikipedia description, which is quite accurate for those who don't remember:

One of the most infamous moments of his career came on February 13, 1977 when he quit the Buffalo Sabres. Reunited with former Maple Leafs coach Punch Imlach, now the Buffalo General Manager, Smith was to replace injured Sabres goalie Gerry Desjardins in a game against the Minnesota North Stars. The Sabres had also called up Don Edwards and less than an hour before gametime, Imlach ordered Sabres coach Floyd Smith to play Edwards instead.[1] After the playing of the National Anthem, Smith stepped off the bench, saluted Buffalo owners Seymour and Northrup Knox and headed for the dressing room.

Thanks for this. I didn't know how good ole' Al ended up. Sounds like a Patrick Roy moment, but without the illustrious career.

Archived