GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Teams aren't successfully rebuilt through free agency alone. Montreal is not significantly better than they were before their rebuild. There are rarely, if ever, A level free agents; there are usually just B level free agents at A level prices (you've already balked at Brad Richards for $7 million, but that's the best FA center deal you will get this year, if he's even available come July 1.) That is fine for one or two players, but to successfully rebuild a franchise takes shrewd moves in all methods of change: free agency, trades and drafting. I haven't been as impressed with Regier's draft history as some - his early picks haven't been that great, he's admitted to relying on scouts more for latter round picks where they've done better, and the high % that become NHL players is artificially inflated by the fact that he has built a mediocre team with his own draft picks - and he has done very little in recent years in terms of significant trades or signings. Whether or not that is because he has had his hands tied, nobody here knows, but if this team is going to get where we all want it to, we're going to need a GM who explores all options available, has the courage to utilize each of them, but also the smarts enough not to get drawn in toward any one too far. That includes free agency (see, for example, the New York Rangers.) This team has been too far in one extreme and the solution is not to go too far in another; its to have a balanced, but aggressive approach.

Excellent post.

The announcement is going to improve the power-play? New ownership doesn't mean a white knight is going to ride into the Sabres Nation and instantly make everything OK. All it means is that one of the names we will complain about is going to change. It's not going to make any of the players on the roster better and it is not going make a roster full of bad contracts disappear. Just because he donated $88 mil to a college doesn't mean he is going to pay $21 mil to Pominville, Hecht and Gaustad not to play hockey by buying them out.

The state that Regier has this franchise in right now is dire. It's a situation much like the Bills. It has to get much worse before it starts getting better. That process doesn't begin until Regier is fired and a new GM is brought in.

+ 1 :thumbsup:

I just got done watching the 2nd period (which was pretty much the whole game).

Why was Miller not pulled?

Does anyone in the organization care anymore?

Regier and Ruff have a different agenda now which doesn't necessarily include making smart hockey decisions. They are in self preservation mode. Also, we don't have a back-up capable of winning a game and we haven't had one for a few years now despite the glaring need for one. Another of Regiers failures as a G.M. Hopefully when Pegula takes over this ship he puts Regier and Ruff in the life raft and sails on without them. The media is fond of calling the Islanders perennial doormats but the way that game went we can't be that far off. What a sad sack bunch of losers from the top down.

Regier and Ruff have a different agenda now which doesn't necessarily include making smart hockey decisions. They are in self preservation mode. Also, we don't have a back-up capable of winning a game and we haven't had one for a few years now despite the glaring need for one. Another of Regiers failures as a G.M. Hopefully when Pegula takes over this ship he puts Regier and Ruff in the life raft and sails on without them. The media is fond of calling the Islanders perennial doormats but the way that game went we can't be that far off. What a sad sack bunch of losers from the top down.

I don't know if you've seen our record lately, but more often than not, we don't have a starter capable of winning a game.

Pegula, from all accounts, is a hockey guy. He loves the game and understands it, again from the speculation we have all heard. I just wonder how easy it would be for Ruff to convince him that his system works and the issue was Regier's inability to bring in players to properly implement that system.

I look at the Islanders and am I convinced the only difference between the Sabres and Islanders is that Miller is healthy and Depietro has not been. The Sabres are no more a Cup contender than the Islanders and are no closer than the Islanders from turning it around.

It's the worst part of Lindy's coaching resume. It also showed Miller's stubbornness this time.

I couldn't help but notice Montador yanked the cap off of Lalime when Miller got wiped out. A very strange gesture. Almost done out of frustration.

If Lalime is as popular with his teammates as has been reported, could there be some lingering resentment toward Miller?

I can't imagine Miller is the most popular guy in that room given some of the goalie's comments the last couple of seasons ("fragile little kids"). The guy hasn't been great for two full half seasons now, and he wants to lecture his team after every loss.

I can't imagine Miller is the most popular guy in that room given some of the goalie's comments the last couple of seasons ("fragile little kids"). The guy hasn't been great for two full half seasons now, and he wants to lecture his team after every loss.

Tavares is about the only threat on that team.

Nobody had a body on Tavares for 3 straight shifts. I don't think Miller would be out of line if he was swinging his stick at those teamates with vacationing brains. :beer:

Nobody had a body on Tavares for 3 straight shifts. I don't think Miller would be out of line if he was swinging his stick at those teamates with vacationing brains. :beer:

Why wouldn't they cover him like they did Crosby? idk

Or he could make a save or two or three.

Archived