[OT] Computer thread

ROC Sabres

Reminds me of the very first error message I ever saw as a young pup going to RIT for Computer Science. This was back in the days of the VAX machine. We used to get a ubiquitious error meesage that said, "A603 Load Module does not exist". Can't remember much from those days any more, but I sure remember, A603... Always reminded me of a comment that would come from the Martian on Bugs Bunny.

Hahaha VAX. I think they still had the VAX for class registration until either my second or third year then they finally got rid of it. It was kind of sad actually. I thought that was the easiest for a while. Either that or call the registrars at 6am. Always worked.

Hahaha VAX. I think they still had the VAX for class registration until either my second or third year then they finally got rid of it. It was kind of sad actually. I thought that was the easiest for a while. Either that or call the registrars at 6am. Always worked.

They were just introducing, err, mandating, the "Rainbow" laptops when I left. What a concept, a personal computer for each student. That's lunacy. That'll never catch on...

They were just introducing, err, mandating, the "Rainbow" laptops when I left. What a concept, a personal computer for each student. That's lunacy. That'll never catch on...

Wow, that's beyond anything that I've ever even heard of on campus. What year did you graduate if you don't mind aging yourself?

Wow, that's beyond anything that I've ever even heard of on campus. What year did you graduate if you don't mind aging yourself?

I was there from Fall '79 to 'Spring '84. Program lasted two years as I recall and fell apart. The Rainbow PCs were misnamed, they weren't PCs but rather POS. They were made by DEC and sold for a gasping $2500 per (although I think RIT was able to bulk buy that price down somewhat). They had 4Mhz Z88 processors with 64K RAM. I think the program came out in 1982-ish for new students.

I was there from Fall '79 to 'Spring '84. Program lasted two years as I recall and fell apart. The Rainbow PCs were misnamed, they weren't PCs but rather POS. They were made by DEC and sold for a gasping $2500 per (although I think RIT was able to but that price down somewhat). They had 4Mhz Z88 processors with 64K RAM. I think the program came out in 1982-ish for new students.

And now we approach the Singularity baby!

I was there from Fall '79 to 'Spring '84. Program lasted two years as I recall and fell apart. The Rainbow PCs were misnamed, they weren't PCs but rather POS. They were made by DEC and sold for a gasping $2500 per (although I think RIT was able to but that price down somewhat). They had 4Mhz Z88 processors with 64K RAM. I think the program came out in 1982-ish for new students.

Funny part is, every other computer has gone down in price but that's still about the same for a Mac. I love when people pay extra for a name.

Funny part is, every other computer has gone down in price but that's still about the same for a Mac. I love when people pay extra for a name.

It's what all the non conformists have conformed into buying. At the cafe I always go to, I'm the only one that is running pc.

Now who is the non conformist?

I have a PC and mac. My mac is always running smooth, even 6 years later. My HP is pretty strong, no major issues but a few hiccups.

Apple is certainly more expensive and part of that is brand name, but you cant discount the fact they are far more reliable than almost all PCs.

http://ctwatchdog.com/2010/08/30/computers-which-are-most-reliable-asus-least-dell

http://www.pcworld.com/article/139958-2/technologys_most_and_least_reliable_brands.html

Year after year they rank at the top or near the top in reliability and customer satisfaction. You cant fake that with marketing.

I have a PC and mac. My mac is always running smooth, even 6 years later. My HP is pretty strong, no major issues but a few hiccups.

Apple is certainly more expensive and part of that is brand name, but you cant discount the fact they are far more reliable than almost all PCs.

http://ctwatchdog.com/2010/08/30/computers-which-are-most-reliable-asus-least-dell

http://www.pcworld.com/article/139958-2/technologys_most_and_least_reliable_brands.html

Year after year they rank at the top or near the top in reliability and customer satisfaction. You cant fake that with marketing.

It's all about how well you take care of it too. It's not always what you buy but how you treat it.

It's all about how well you take care of it too. It's not always what you buy but how you treat it.

Yes true. But in general Macs are more reliable. Yes you can get a PC to outlast a mac just like you can get one brand of car to outlast one shown over time to be more reliable.

Mac isnt just hype and hipster commercials, they do make a solid product, admittedly not for everyone.

I think the whole mac v PC thing is blown way out of proportion anyway. I work on a PC all day and it serves me fine, but i do enjoy going home to my old MBP.

Yes true. But in general Macs are more reliable. Yes you can get a PC to outlast a mac just like you can get one brand of car to outlast one shown over time to be more reliable.

Mac isnt just hype and hipster commercials, they do make a solid product, admittedly not for everyone.

I think the whole mac v PC thing is blown way out of proportion anyway. I work on a PC all day and it serves me fine, but i do enjoy going home to my old MBP.

I really just disagree with this (as I type on my iPhone). I've never known anyone that has owned a Mac for more than three years before it fatally kills itself. Especially Mac Books. I've had the same desktop PC since 2004. Only thing I've ever had to fix was a power supply. My Asus netbook is a tank and I would expect it to last me at least 6 years without problem. Meanwhile my friends are off to the apple store because their 6 month old MBP just crapped the bed.

Not saying my experiences are generalizable, just that this is what I've observed.

Also, badger hair brush + shave soap>foam>gel. I like a nice wet shave now and then, always feels good.

Basically what I was thinking. I have had my PC for around 5 or 6 years and have never had any problems with it(hardware or software). The average user doesn't understand that "Congratulations, you've been selected to win a free Ipad" is actually going to be the slow death of your computer.

EDIT: I don't have a problem with Mac's other than you have to pay what would be the down payment on most cars for a product that you can barely upgrade.

I really just disagree with this (as I type on my iPhone). I've never known anyone that has owned a Mac for more than three years before it fatally kills itself. Especially Mac Books. I've had the same desktop PC since 2004. Only thing I've ever had to fix was a power supply. My Asus netbook is a tank and I would expect it to last me at least 6 years without problem. Meanwhile my friends are off to the apple store because their 6 month old MBP just crapped the bed.

Not saying my experiences are generalizable, just that this is what I've observed.

Also, badger hair brush + shave soap>foam>gel. I like a nice wet shave now and then, always feels good.

I will be the first in two months, then. ;)

As a former Dell repeat customer, I bought my MBP because my 2003 Dell killed itself after 18 months. I repaired that thing via ebay multiple times for another 3 1/2 years, till early 08. That was when the only option Microsoft had was Vista. So, when I saw reviews that said Apple ran XP faster than everything except a monster Toshiba laptop, I said, why not try an Apple?

The only problem I've had is my wireless nic had to be replaced.

I bought my wife MB in Aug 09, and she loves hers, as well...

Mac = Unix (BSD Unix), PC = Windows

Nuff said...

Windows keeps TRYING to become more Unix-like, without admitting it (so it gets more stable..., slowly...).

I have heard of a few peeps who complained about their Macs, but for most part, they are rocks. My MBP is about 2 years old now (I have been brain-washed in recent years, since do most stuff on my Windows Laptops..., and I still "cringe" when I type ipconfig on a Unix / Linux box..., but it has given me no issues, and don't understand the complaint about upgrades..., nowadays, not an issue). Before that, I had one of those old color iMac that I gave to my daughter (got mainly so I could play with OS X). It's probably still being used by someone. Then again, my Sun Sparc V100 Server and HP C3000 Unix workstation still work too...

And I was at U/B when it was a Vax shop, at about the same time (I am a DBA / SysAdmin). I preferred VMS to Unix (but Unix won that war... VAX/VMS more of niche machine, and U/B had a ton of them...).

Anyhow... Perhaps Pegula is on a PC, and lost the files?

Wonder if this isn't going to happen? He did have an out...

Wonder how long he lived in Orchard Park?

I always get a kick out of these arguments because it's all perspective. It's funny (really, I'm not being sarcastic) that you say that. I've never had a Mac die in under 3 years nor do I know anyone that has. It's kind of like the whole "I'm a Ford guy because I've never known a happy Chevy owner" argument. Unless it's a software issue, they die for the same reasons for the most part.

The really cool bit? They're mostly the same parts. My MBP has an Intel chip, NVidia GPU, Apple SSD (which I'm certain is probably an OEM'd Toshiba or something). Same Von Numan architecture and probably SpecTek or some other mass-produced RAM chip. Well, that's mostly true. There are some really, really crappy quality Windows-based Notebooks out there (I'm looking at you, ASUS Netbook crowd) and EFI BIOS and whatnot.

I keep using 'em simply because I feel constrained by the Windows UI/FS/tool chain & the UI seems rickety. I work on Linux boxes all day, so the Mac is close enough to keep me happy.

I always get a kick out of these arguments because it's all perspective. It's funny (really, I'm not being sarcastic) that you say that. I've never had a Mac die in under 3 years nor do I know anyone that has. It's kind of like the whole "I'm a Ford guy because I've never known a happy Chevy owner" argument. Unless it's a software issue, they die for the same reasons for the most part.

The really cool bit? They're mostly the same parts. My MBP has an Intel chip, NVidia GPU, Apple SSD (which I'm certain is probably an OEM'd Toshiba or something). Same Von Numan architecture and probably SpecTek or some other mass-produced RAM chip. Well, that's mostly true. There are some really, really crappy quality Windows-based Notebooks out there (I'm looking at you, ASUS Netbook crowd) and EFI BIOS and whatnot.

I keep using 'em simply because I feel constrained by the Windows UI/FS/tool chain & the UI seems rickety. I work on Linux boxes all day, so the Mac is close enough to keep me happy.

Not that I can disagree with you about anything else you said but the highlighted part is the reason I type regedit so much in my run command.

I work in an environment where everything is controlled by a sys. admin. Best part about windows is pretty much everything can be controlled and/or changed, by a simple registry key.

I work on all of them(Linux/Windows(all OS's)/Mac Tech support and all). In the only perspective I have, Mac is the most stable and the hardest to change it's ways. You don't get a virus, you still have to deal with users. PC is the worst when it comes to viruses but when/if you know how to use it, it is just as good as either of the other two. Linux, once you get past learning how to do anything, is by far the best.

I could go on all day about the pros and cons about all three but I still stick to PC because that is what I grew up on and is the easiest to work with in my environment.

I'm sure if I was a graphic designer I would have nothing to say other than MAC MAC MAC!!! but I'm not.

EDIT: and yes, my sys admin hates me for breaking all his patches.

Not that I can disagree with you about anything else you said but the highlighted part is the reason I type regedit so much in my run command.

I work in an environment where everything is controlled by a sys. admin. Best part about windows is pretty much everything can be controlled and/or changed, by a simple registry key.

I work on all of them(Linux/Windows(all OS's)/Mac Tech support and all). In the only perspective I have, Mac is the most stable and the hardest to change it's ways. You don't get a virus, you still have to deal with users. PC is the worst when it comes to viruses but when/if you know how to use it, it is just as good as either of the other two. Linux, once you get past learning how to do anything, is by far the best.

I could go on all day about the pros and cons about all three but I still stick to PC because that is what I grew up on and is the easiest to work with in my environment.

I'm sure if I was a graphic designer I would have nothing to say other than MAC MAC MAC!!! but I'm not.

EDIT: and yes, my sys admin hates me for breaking all his patches.

I will give you kudos, if you use regedit as much as you claim, and have NEVER brought down a Windows system...

The registry is the anti-christ. Windows will finally grow up when it dumps that POS.

You can essentially do the same thing (don't tell your sysadmin I told you this) by updating the kernel in Linux via /proc... But on Windows, b/c it doesn't work as-advertised, they HAVE to make you, the user a local admin on your own box (that is WHY regedit works for you...). That's also a key point as to WHY Windows has virus problem(s), and Linux / Mac, etc... doesn't. Get to know the inner-workings of your system(s), and maybe then you won't be so enamored... Every vendor enters their own tweaks to the registry. (IT IS A MESS!)

Adding (so this is still a hockey post...) Go Sabres!! :)

Archived