[OT] Computer thread

ROC Sabres

I will give you kudos, if you use regedit as much as you claim, and have NEVER brought down a Windows system...

The registry is the anti-christ. Windows will finally grow up when it dumps that POS.

You can essentially do the same thing (don't tell your sysadmin I told you this) by updating the kernel in Linux via /proc... But on Windows, b/c it doesn't work as-advertised, they HAVE to make you, the user a local admin on your own box (that is WHY regedit works for you...). That's also a key point as to WHY Windows has virus problem(s), and Linux / Mac, etc... doesn't. Get to know the inner-workings of your system(s), and maybe then you won't be so enamored... Every vendor enters their own tweaks to the registry. (IT IS A MESS!)

Adding (so this is still a hockey post...) Go Sabres!! :)

I use regedit pretty much everyday. I have tons of programs that I write in either C#/VB/VBscript/batch, pick a windows programming language, that are constantly blocked by GPO's/regkeys and start up scripts that my sys admin enforces. I beat them at their own game.

I had a problem for about a month or two where none of our computer would accept a usb flash drive on public computer for a non admin on the computer. I wrote a program that would delete the catroot and catroot2 folders while disabling system services and rewrite the files so all the files could be copied and work properly. If anyone I work with on here works with me, I just gave away my identity.

I use regedit pretty much everyday. I have tons of programs that I write in either C#/VB/VBscript/batch, pick a windows programming language, that are constantly blocked by GPO's/regkeys and start up scripts that my sys admin enforces. I beat them at their own game.

I had a problem for about a month or two where none of our computer would accept a usb flash drive on public computer for a non admin on the computer. I wrote a program that would delete the catroot and catroot2 folders while disabling system services and rewrite the files so all the files could be copied and work properly. If anyone I work with on here works with me, I just gave away my identity.

Cool. You sound like you have made the registry work for you (I have done same..., mainly with Win32 perl, but my opinion on Windows registry still stands...).

Anyhow, the mods here have moved all of our computer chatter to a different thread (And nothing i said was meant to incense anyone..., it was all nerdy computer chatter, no one's right / no one's wrong, kind of like other comparisons we all like to make).

As for Pegula and the Sabres decision... It is what brought me here, so I HOPE it happens sooner than later.

GO SABRES!!

Cool. You sound like you have made the registry work for you (I have done same..., mainly with Win32 perl, but my opinion on Windows registry still stands...).

Anyhow, the mods here have moved all of our computer chatter to a different thread (And nothing i said was meant to incense anyone..., it was all nerdy computer chatter, no one's right / no one's wrong, kind of like other comparisons we all like to make).

As for Pegula and the Sabres decision... It is what brought me here, so I HOPE it happens sooner than later.

GO SABRES!!

I didn't even know. Oh well. I'm gonna guess a 3pm presser tomorrow so those A$sclowns at 3pm on wgr, you know who they are, have something to talk about.

I will give you kudos, if you use regedit as much as you claim, and have NEVER brought down a Windows system...

The registry is the anti-christ. Windows will finally grow up when it dumps that POS.

You can essentially do the same thing (don't tell your sysadmin I told you this) by updating the kernel in Linux via /proc... But on Windows, b/c it doesn't work as-advertised, they HAVE to make you, the user a local admin on your own box (that is WHY regedit works for you...). That's also a key point as to WHY Windows has virus problem(s), and Linux / Mac, etc... doesn't. Get to know the inner-workings of your system(s), and maybe then you won't be so enamored... Every vendor enters their own tweaks to the registry. (IT IS A MESS!)

Adding (so this is still a hockey post...) Go Sabres!! :)

You know, I spend all day writing software. I've even written books on Python. I can't say that I've ever edited a Windows registry. I'm of the opinion that a central configuration base is theoretically a good idea as APIs can be provided to standardize and control access. But as implemented? Sounds like it's only firing on a few cylinders. The registry, from what I understand, isn't just the quivilent of sysctl (/proc/sys). Rather, it's that plus a collection of user-space configuration NV pairs. So, a binary & standardized /etc, for lack of a better explanation. What mucks it up in practice? A Linux or a Macintosh package could easily do whatever it chose to do as well. Why is this not a problem on the *nix boxes while really hurting Windows?

That's because USB drives can be a festering pile of virus and malware. Non-admin users shouldn't be able to plug them in. :) "I can't be bother to learn how to email or use a share drive, I'll just spread crap around with USB sticks!"

FWIW, I'd strip your admin rights* to all company systems for breaking policies I set. Of course, you'd probably have been fired for subverting company computer systems where I work by now. But, if it works for your job, run with it. :)

* I'd give you a sandbox VM that you'd be free to play with. Got to be able to do your job.

Archived