10 Burning Questions About Terry Pegula

PASabreFan

Is he a diehard Sabres fan?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Is he a diehard Sabres fan?

• Yes, he bleeds blue and gold
    • No, just a big hockey fan who follows the Sabres
    • I dunno

I dunno. And really, I don't care. All that matters to me is if he has the ambition to want a team truly capable of vying for the Stanley Cup on a regular basis, the intelligence to select great people to build and run the hockey operations, and the common courtesy to not try to bull-###### the fanbase when plans don't work out like hoped.

I dunno. And really, I don't care. All that matters to me is if he has the ambition to want a team truly capable of vying for the Stanley Cup on a regular basis, the intelligence to select great people to build and run the hockey operations, and the common courtesy to not try to bull-###### the fanbase when plans don't work out like hoped.

That's a pretty tall order.

just sayin'

That's a pretty tall order.

just sayin'

I don't expect long term sustained success, just a desire to *try* to achieve it regularly. The intelligence should be a given in a self made billionaire. And the honesty? I expect that out of everyone.

Yeah, I'm frequently disappointed.

I went with just a big hockey fan. After all, it was reported he was a hockey dad. Be really nice to find out he has Buffalo blood flowing through his veins. Of course the current regime has it too so maybe that doesn't....

+1 and it sums up my opinion pretty well.

Frankly I dunno how anyone w/o personal experience with the guy could pick anything but dunno. Sure we all know he gave 88 million to Penn state for their hockey program and we can infer from that and some of the other information in the press about his hockey support but I gotta say we just dunno.

I do agree his background information does give a lot of hope though.

I have to agree that the only conclusion any of us can actually put is dunno.

If I were to guess, he's a big hockey fan with some level of a connection with the Sabres. He became a hockey fan while watching the Broad Street Bullies, so I'm guessing he has some connection there, too. I doubt that he bleeds blue and gold, but I'd guess that he would become a huge fan of whatever team he owns.

I grew up as a Blackhawks fan. My dad wasn't into hockey, so I just picked a team that I liked. It wasn't until later that I started following the Sabres. Now, I do bleed blue and gold. However, if I were to get the opportunity to own the Blackhawks, I would be a huge fan of that team and start bleeding black and red. Any team other than those two would mean just a little less and I'm guessing Terry is in a similar boat.

Wouldn't mind this one bit.

Truth is I have no idea what Pegula is, and frankly I don't care either, as long as he gets rid of The Three Stooges.

If I were to guess, he's a big hockey fan with some level of a connection with the Sabres. He became a hockey fan while watching the Broad Street Bullies, so I'm guessing he has some connection there, too. I doubt that he bleeds blue and gold, but I'd guess that he would become a huge fan of whatever team he owns.

If he cut his teeth as a Flyers fan, maybe he wants to get a team that hates the Flyers (I know I do ever since the '75 Cup Finals) so they can beat up on them regularly.

I grew up as a Blackhawks fan. My dad wasn't into hockey, so I just picked a team that I liked. It wasn't until later that I started following the Sabres. Now, I do bleed blue and gold. However, if I were to get the opportunity to own the Blackhawks, I would be a huge fan of that team and start bleeding black and red. Any team other than those two would mean just a little less and I'm guessing Terry is in a similar boat.

I was a Blackhawks fan in the '60s only because there were no Sabres yet. (I was a big Stan Mikita fan...) Once the Sabres were born, it was blue and gold, through and through.

If he cut his teeth as a Flyers fan, maybe he wants to get a team that hates the Flyers (I know I do ever since the '75 Cup Finals) so they can beat up on them regularly.

I was a Blackhawks fan in the '60s only because there were no Sabres yet. (I was a big Stan Mikita fan...) Once the Sabres were born, it was blue and gold, through and through.

What about the Bisons?

I was young enough in 1970 that I questioned why the Sabres wern't able to keep my favorite "good" players like Guy Trottier and Gilles Villemure

What I think is important is that he does not focus on The Sabres as being a business. This is Golisano's, and Ralph Wilson's major downfall. They are too busy worrying about profit margins of a running business, instead of building a winning franchise, whose value is measured by the the overall worth of the franchise. Golisano ran the Sabres with a mediocre vision, and still stand to make a 100 million dollar profit. Imagine what the franchise value would be if this was a cup winning organization. So in short I want a billionaire owner how views the Sabres as his "Rich Man's" toy, that he will make a winner no matter the cost. If the team wins, the franchise value will reflect it, and this owner will reap the rewards. No more "Nickel and Diming" please.

What I think is important is that he does not focus on The Sabres as being a business. This is Golisano's, and Ralph Wilson's major downfall. They are too busy worrying about profit margins of a running business, instead of building a winning franchise, whose value is measured by the the overall worth of the franchise. Golisano ran the Sabres with a mediocre vision, and still stand to make a 100 million dollar profit. Imagine what the franchise value would be if this was a cup winning organization. So in short I want a billionaire owner how views the Sabres as his "Rich Man's" toy, that he will make a winner no matter the cost. If the team wins, the franchise value will reflect it, and this owner will reap the rewards. No more "Nickel and Diming" please.

The CBA Cap pretty much takes away the playground aspect of spending even for the billionaires IMO. Unless you think the Sabres are $2.5 million dollars away from hoisting a cup, the Sabres are spending competitively.

The CBA Cap pretty much takes away the playground aspect of spending even for the billionaires IMO. Unless you think the Sabres are $2.5 million dollars away from hoisting a cup, the Sabres are spending competitively.

I'm sure he means this off-season. It'd be nice for our new owner/potential new GM to get involved in some big name free agency signings (with grier/neids/rivet/gerbe/staff/connolly coming off the books). You look at our roster for next year and we have Roy and Vanek who make decent money, but Ennis, hopefully Kassian and Foligno, Adam if he stays-- these guys are going to be on cheap entry level contracts which will give management plenty of cap room to "play" with. No internal budget ######, no shying away from the trade market, no more drafting 5'0" forwards expecting to find the next diamond in the rough.

There's a difference between "spending competitively" and handing out ludicrous contracts to career third liners. Half the time I think Regier just signed half of these guys to create the excuse of not having cap space to sign somebody else.

You can also actually hire scouts and do everything possible to SPEND player salary on the right people, not simply wait for kids you watched on video to "jell".

I'm sure he means this off-season. It'd be nice for our new owner/potential new GM to get involved in some big name free agency signings (with grier/neids/rivet/gerbe/staff/connolly coming off the books). You look at our roster for next year and we have Roy and Vanek who make decent money, but Ennis, hopefully Kassian and Foligno, Adam if he stays-- these guys are going to be on cheap entry level contracts which will give management plenty of cap room to "play" with. No internal budget ######, no shying away from the trade market, no more drafting 5'0" forwards expecting to find the next diamond in the rough.

There's a difference between "spending competitively" and handing out ludicrous contracts to career third liners. Half the time I think Regier just signed half of these guys to create the excuse of not having cap space to sign somebody else.

:thumbsup:

Poorly written question. "I dunno" is weakening the results. Of course none of us knows for sure how to classify him.

Assuming he is a Sabre fan of some kind (he did have season tickets), the question could have been, "What kind of Sabre fan is he" 1. Diehard 2. Follows them, but not religiously etc. etc.

Maybe by Question 10, I will get it right.

Spending to the cap, doesn't mean the money has been well spent. All NHL teams deal with the cap, some of these teams have much better rosters. I would also add only the player's salaries are capped. You can spend as much as you like on management,coaching,consultants,scouting,etc. Also deep pockets allow you to eat money when you need to. Let's say a highly paid player with 3 years on his contract isn't working out, and cannot be fairly traded. Most successful NHL teams would cut the player, take the loss (dead cap money included), and move on. In our current ownership this player would be here until the final year of his contract. So for me an owner with deep pockets, who is not concerned with "day to day" profits would be ideal.

I went with just a big hockey fan. After all, it was reported he was a hockey dad. Be really nice to find out he has Buffalo blood flowing through his veins. Of course the current regime has it too so maybe that doesn't....

What you said.

I just want someone who considers this a fan's game and not necessarily a business first. If Pegula is as big a hockey fan as it sounds, then I'll take him.

Archived