Hockey's Future Minor League System Update

Lanny

The Portland Pirates, the AHL affiliate for the Buffalo Sabres, boasts a great deal of talented young prospects including goaltender Jhonas Enroth and forward Corey Tropp. The team currently has a record of 19-11-4-1. The team is offensively prolific, scoring the sixth most goals in the league.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12661/youth_and_talent_dominate_buffalo_sabres_minorleague_system/

Even if it is a year outdated, it still doesn't highlight anything promising for Buffalo's future. Now that Adam is in Buffalo and doing fine the cupboard is pretty bare in Portland.

It's always cyclical. Right now the organizational depth is on the blueline. The last two drafts have been a little more offensive-heavy, so the forwards will be replenished in a year or two. The system gets the boost next year from Kassian and Foligno, and then who knows if there is some sort of reshuffling if the whole Pegula thing ever goes through.

Sabresprospects.com eats this garbage for breakfast. Some of their updates are over a year old. Way to stay on top of it.

His link was to a new hockeysfuture.com article. What does Sabresprospects.com have to do with this? :unsure:

Actually, the HF rankings for top Sabres prospects isn't quite a year old but it's definitely out of date. Coming into this season, they had Marcus Foligno as our 20th best prospect. He's probably one of our top 3 prospects right now.

Even if it is a year outdated, it still doesn't highlight anything promising for Buffalo's future. Now that Adam is in Buffalo and doing fine the cupboard is pretty bare in Portland.

The Sabres don't have any forwards in the AHL that you'd want to pin your future hopes on, but that's only because Adam is playing his first pro season in the NHL. Plus Kassian and Foligno are in juniors. If they're smart they'll also sign Riley Boychuk after this season to add a heavyweight/future 4th liner to the organization.

We have a bunch of defensive prospects. The Pirates have Shiestel, Brennan, and Crawford on defense and all three have potential. (The article correctly points out that Shiestel is having a breakout season.) The Sabres should be signing McNabb this summer and have Pysyk and Gauthier-Leduc from last year's draft.

Basically the Sabres farm is so-so, but some of that is because their first three picks in 2008 are all on the team right now (Myers, Ennis, Adam) and one was NHL rookie of the year last year. Their first three picks in 2009 might all be on the team next season (Kassian, McNabb, Foligno). Our 2008 and 2009 drafts look great right about now.

His link was to a new hockeysfuture.com article. What does Sabresprospects.com have to do with this? :unsure:

Actually, the HF rankings for top Sabres prospects isn't quite a year old but it's definitely out of date. Coming into this season, they had Marcus Foligno as our 20th best prospect. He's probably one of our top 3 prospects right now.

The Sabres don't have any forwards in the AHL that you'd want to pin your future hopes on, but that's only because Adam is playing his first pro season in the NHL. Plus Kassian and Foligno are in juniors. If they're smart they'll also sign Riley Boychuk after this season to add a heavyweight/future 4th liner to the organization.

We have a bunch of defensive prospects. The Pirates have Shiestel, Brennan, and Crawford on defense and all three have potential. (The article correctly points out that Shiestel is having a breakout season.) The Sabres should be signing McNabb this summer and have Pysyk and Gauthier-Leduc from last year's draft.

Basically the Sabres farm is so-so, but some of that is because their first three picks in 2008 are all on the team right now (Myers, Ennis, Adam) and one was NHL rookie of the year last year. Their first three picks in 2009 might all be on the team next season (Kassian, McNabb, Foligno). Our 2008 and 2009 drafts look great right about now.

For some reason I always read his name as Pie-stick. #Idunnowhy

It's always cyclical. Right now the organizational depth is on the blueline. The last two drafts have been a little more offensive-heavy, so the forwards will be replenished in a year or two. The system gets the boost next year from Kassian and Foligno, and then who knows if there is some sort of reshuffling if the whole Pegula thing ever goes through.

I cringe when I see posters use the word "depth." How can anyone say the Sabres have "depth on the blueline" while Craig Rivet is still in the lineup?

I cringe when I see posters use the word "depth." How can anyone say the Sabres have "depth on the blueline" while Craig Rivet is still in the lineup?

When the words "organizational" and "depth" are next to each other, it is typically referring to the farm system. That's the point here and it should have been more than obvious. In terms of prospects, there's no denying that the Sabres have more on the blue line than anywhere else.

When the words "organizational" and "depth" are next to each other, it is typically referring to the farm system. That's the point here and it should have been more than obvious. In terms of prospects, there's no denying that the Sabres have more on the blue line than anywhere else.

But is the term "organizational depth" accurate if maybe two of the guys in the system project to make any impact at all at the NHL level. I think that is part of Deluca's point. There are always 5 or so D prospects on the farm. That doesn't really change from year to year. But if 3 of the 5 or 6 aren't expected to make the big club at some point they aren't really "depth". The only guy in Portland I think might push for a roster spot someday is maybe, maybe Scheistel. The others are longshots at this point IMO. And none of them look to be able to make a push next season. So our "depth" is two guys still in Juniors really. That isn't indicative of depth IMO.

I guess I have to spell it out for you. If you want real time, up to date info on Sabres prospects, don't bother with hockeysfuture, it's garbage. Sabresprospects.com has daily updates, rather than yearly. :rolleyes:

Archived