When Lindy Ruff Was Hired....

bob_sauve28

I had gotten my first real job shortly after and traveled around looking for a better one. The firing of Ted Nolan and the "protest" that followed seem like a million years ago. Many young Sabres fan know no other coach of the team. Hasek, Afinogenov, Y2K, Clinton-Bush-Obama, a stanley cup appearance, a jailed owner, an absent owner and now a saviour owner? It's been a long time!

Change-for-sake-of-change not necessarily a good thing...

I think Lindy's speak (Read: press conferences that I have seen online / listened to) in recent years is also showing that he is frustrated.

I also think that anyone with hockey knowledge knows... The moment the Sabres let Lindy go, he will resurface elsewhere. He has done a lot with little for many, many years here... (And yes, he probably has to keep coming up with new motivations for his players, but the fact that he continues to do so speaks to his abilities as a coach...).

This present bunch of players appears "stuck" in a similar fashion to when Scotty Bowman coached the Sabres back in the 80's (they got to a Cup Semi-Finals in like his first season with his youth movement, then did little else...).

Lindy Ruff's coaching has led the Sabres through two generations of different players (The team that went to Cup Finals with Hasek and little else in terms of offensive production, and what's left of the team that went to two Eastern Conference Finals, before the front-office botched that...). He's a coach that can continue...

Will be interesting to see, if the ownership change goes through "what is next..." (??)

GO SABRES!!

I think Lindy's speak (Read: press conferences that I have seen online / listened to) in recent years is also showing that he is frustrated.

I also think that anyone with hockey knowledge knows... The moment the Sabres let Lindy go, he will resurface elsewhere. He has done a lot with little for many, many years here... (And yes, he probably has to keep coming up with new motivations for his players, but the fact that he continues to do so speaks to his abilities as a coach...).

This present bunch of players appears "stuck" in a similar fashion to when Scotty Bowman coached the Sabres back in the 80's (they got to a Cup Semi-Finals in like his first season with his youth movement, then did little else...).

Lindy Ruff's coaching has led the Sabres through two generations of different players (The team that went to Cup Finals with Hasek and little else in terms of offensive production, and what's left of the team that went to two Eastern Conference Finals, before the front-office botched that...). He's a coach that can continue...

Will be interesting to see, if the ownership change goes through "what is next..." (??)

GO SABRES!!

I think Bowman's "youth movement" came after they made it to the semi-finals.

GO SABRES!!

You've hit all the points except this classic: Who's out there who's better than Lindy?

Eventually... Over time, yes, everyone goes away, and Lindy will be replaced.

I, for one, think if a new ownership is in place, and they DO put the product on the ice at a higher premium, we should give Lindy the chance to be the coach of that team. Not throw him out, with all of the "old" bath water...

However, due to recent financial decisions that were made (when Galisano did open the purse-strings, and allowed Regier / Quinn to shell out some $$'s to keep team that is there in-place, maybe money that wasn't spent so wisely...), we may need the tear-down before the rebuild... Would Lindy survive that? Would he want to? He does bleed the blue-&-gold (as a player / coach ... I like that mix)...

On the positive side, with people like Quinn gone, do (other) people like Don Luce & Craig Ramsey come back into the fold?

See what unfolds...

GO SABRES!!

Lindy's like the Dow the past 12 years. A couple amazing years surrounded by disaster, stagnation, and apathy.

Is Lindy the reason for all of your Dow downs (of the Sabres)??

Should he start to coach such that "this player is a free-agent this season, so I won't play him, since next year, he will be gone"?

He gets the most out of what he has (normally). Eventually, that has to take a toll on everyone involved, Lindy included. Which I believe is where we sit today.

Any coach who actually won a Stanley Cup...

A bit hit or miss isn't it? A good place to start I guess.

Carlyle 4 out of 5 in playoffs, One CUP

Tortorella, 10 seasons, 5 playoffs, One CUP

Laviolette, 7 seasons, 5 playoffs, OneCUP

Lindy, 12 seasons, 7 playoffs, One CUP final anyway

Sutter?

How about Tony Granato?

Meh, I still like LR. Now DR...

Any coach who actually won a Stanley Cup...

Are you saying that any coach that has actually won a Stanley Cup is necessarily better than any coach that has not? Too many other factors determine who wins the Cup for that to be true.

Has any NHL coach won a Cup with two teams? I don't know the answer, but I seem to remember them talking about how none had in the NFL back when the Bills were looking (allegedly).

I'm all for tearing down the house, Lindy included, but I dislike the "bring in anyone who's done it before" argument. Everyone said that they had to bring in a player who'd won the Cup and we got Niedermayer (yes, I know that a coach probably has a little more impact than a single player.)

Are you saying that any coach that has actually won a Stanley Cup is necessarily better than any coach that has not? Too many other factors determine who wins the Cup for that to be true.

Has any NHL coach won a Cup with two teams? I don't know the answer, but I seem to remember them talking about how none had in the NFL back when the Bills were looking (allegedly).

I'm all for tearing down the house, Lindy included, but I dislike the "bring in anyone who's done it before" argument. Everyone said that they had to bring in a player who'd won the Cup and we got Niedermayer (yes, I know that a coach probably has a little more impact than a single player.)

Yes, Scotty Bowman won the Cup 9 times with three different teams - Montreal, Pittsburgh, and Detroit. I believe Dick Irvin won with the Toronto Maple Leafs and with the Montreal Canadiens. So, there have really only been 2 coaches in NHL history to win Stanley Cups with more than one team. It can be done, but I get your point. Bowman is the only person in any of the major sports leagues to win a championship with 3 different teams. Too bad he did nothing while he was in Buffalo.

Yes, Scotty Bowman won the Cup 9 times with three different teams - Montreal, Pittsburgh, and Detroit. I believe Dick Irvin won with the Toronto Maple Leafs and with the Montreal Canadiens. So, there have really only been 2 coaches in NHL history to win Stanley Cups with more than one team. It can be done, but I get your point. Bowman is the only person in any of the major sports leagues to win a championship with 3 different teams. Too bad he did nothing while he was in Buffalo.

Geez, how did I forget about Bowman. :oops:

I'd be happy to give Scotty another shot at four!

Eventually... Over time, yes, everyone goes away, and Lindy will be replaced.

I, for one, think if a new ownership is in place, and they DO put the product on the ice at a higher premium, we should give Lindy the chance to be the coach of that team. Not throw him out, with all of the "old" bath water...

GO SABRES!!

I believe he should be let go along with Regier.

I don't deny the current roster is among the worst I can remember, but what we're seeing now is hardly anything but classic Lindy Ruff hockey :

1. Everything stands and falls with the goaltending.

2. The PP is weak to non-existent.

3. Too deep in their own zone on D, points are always open and difficulty to clear pucks ensues due how much easier it is to forecheck a team that plays all 5 guys low.

4. Teams are not ready to play/take whole nights off on an all too regular basis, or only show up 20-40 minutes in to the game, down 2-0 or 3-0.

5. Has his doghouse players who are regularly healthy scratches, but the real floaters and underachievers are in the line-up night in and night out. Current reference specimen : Tim Connolly.

All of this is something we've seen on a regular basis since the 2000 season, and IMHO can't be attributed to the current roster, even though you could argue they amplify Lindy's obvious chortcomings as a coach.

I get a chuckle every time I hear that LINDY will get a coaching job the moment after he's fired. Is it because all teams will be throwing themselves at a .600 coach whose teams have missed the playoff 5 out of 11 years, 6 after this year and has really never had a player improve under his reign ? LINDY's a bum who has gotten a free ride because he's a former SABRE and is butt buddies with the GM, who should also be gone.

You really think this team shows motivation ?

I get a chuckle every time I hear that LINDY will get a coaching job the moment after he's fired. Is it because all teams will be throwing themselves at a .600 coach whose teams have missed the playoff 5 out of 11 years, 6 after this year and has really never had a player improve under his reign ? LINDY's a bum who has gotten a free ride because he's a former SABRE and is butt buddies with the GM, who should also be gone.

No idea what their motivations are, but hockey isn't one of them, I know that much.

compared to how the Devils, Sens, Islanders are playing this season? yes.

the Sabres however do seem to mail it in more often than the higher caliber teams do.

The idea of another team firing a coach in season to replace with Lindy, the INSTANT he is fired, is even goofier...

The idea of another team firing a coach in season to replace with Lindy, the INSTANT he is fired, is even goofier...

So, if TP takes over and cans DR and LR immediately, and then Bruce Boudreau is fired, do you think the Caps would hire Lindy?

(I actually don't think that either Lindy or Boudreau will get canned during the season, but the above is still plausible.)

So, if TP takes over and cans DR and LR immediately, and then Bruce Boudreau is fired, do you think the Caps would hire Lindy?

(I actually don't think that either Lindy or Boudreau will get canned during the season, but the above is still plausible.)

You've changed the question slightly. In your scenario, of course the Caps might hire Lindy.

But would the Caps see Lindy get fired and fire Boudreau immediately to win the Ruff Sweepstakes?

Even Lindy's not THAT hot a commodity. Has this scenario played out in NHL history?

You've changed the question slightly. In your scenario, of course the Caps might hire Lindy.

But would the Caps see Lindy get fired and fire Boudreau immediately to win the Ruff Sweepstakes?

Even Lindy's not THAT hot a commodity. Has this scenario played out in NHL history?

Maybe, they're sitting around Caps' headquarters saying to themselves "we could fire Boudreau, but who's out there that's better?" ;)

Archived