Will Miller's #30 be hung in the HSBC rafters in the future?

NowDoYouBelieve

Miller's number retired?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Yes
    • No

Just looked and saw that Miller is 3 wins away from a quick 200 for his career. He's also one of a small handful of superstars in the franchise's history, and a player that can singlehandedly win games. Does his number end up getting retired? I think it does, provided he sticks with the team for several more years at least.

The honor has been so watered down, yes.

But if he retires with 400 wins, a couple Vezina Trophies (perhaps even a Stanley Cup one of these days?!?!) it wouldn't be a watered down accomplishment in my opinion.

There needs to be at least one Stanley Cup Finals appearance in a Sabres uniform. That should be the standard.

But if he retires with 400 wins, a couple Vezina Trophies (perhaps even a Stanley Cup one of these days?!?!) it wouldn't be a watered down accomplishment in my opinion.

OK, but you're changing the question... a lot. You seemed to be hinting he has earned the honor already.

The honor has been so watered down, yes.

This. By the current standards he may have already earned it.

IMO the only guy that deserves to be up there is Gilbert. Noone else should be up there until someone wearing a Sabres uni leads the team to a Stanley Cup.

Realisticly, Hasek will probably find his way up there, and so will Miller.

This. By the current standards he may have already earned it.

IMO the only guy that deserves to be up there is Gilbert. Noone else should be up there until someone wearing a Sabres uni leads the team to a Stanley Cup.

Realisticly, Hasek will probably find his way up there, and so will Miller.

I can go along with making it harder to get there, but I don't see how you can exclude Dominik.

I can go along with making it harder to get there, but I don't see how you can exclude Dominik.

In my case it is personal hard feelings. The dude manufactured his way off the team in a lopsided trade he engineered that set the team back for years. And then said he was going into the Hall as a Red Wing after getting almost all of his awards while in a Sabre uni. I'm OK with never acknowledging him on the ceiling.

But hey, that's just me.

In my case it is personal hard feelings. The dude manufactured his way off the team in a lopsided trade he engineered that set the team back for years. And then said he was going into the Hall as a Red Wing after getting almost all of his awards while in a Sabre uni. I'm OK with never acknowledging him on the ceiling.

But hey, that's just me.

And there was that horrible cardigan he wore during the press conference in Buffalo, reason enough to disqualify him.

I've always said he would be booed off the ice during any ceremony, and he knows it. I really doubt he will agree to be honored in Buffalo, for that reason. Will time heal all wounds? I doubt it. The hate will be passed on to future generations.

Definitely, with the body of work he'll probably have by the time he retires (assuming no injury or whatever)....Cups will obviously help his case.

There are so many franchises across all sports that haven't won championships, that still have rings of honor and halls of fame.

Definitely, with the body of work he'll probably have by the time he retires (assuming no injury or whatever)....Cups will obviously help his case.

There are so many franchises across all sports that haven't won championships, that still have rings of honor and halls of fame.

But we're talking about retiring a number, the highest honor. Not for the Gares, Martins, Roberts or LaFontaines or Millers IMHO.

in the abstract, i am on the fence - 50-50. as a practical matter, PA is right. it feels almost like a foregone conclusion at this point.

this topic led me to yet another fascinating wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_retired_numbers

i could google it, but i wonder whether any other player has ever had his number retired from an entire league (a la gretzky).

But hey, that's just me.

i understand the animosity. fact of the matter is, though, that he is arguably the greatest sabre ever (didn't the local paper thusly opine?)

And there was that horrible cardigan he wore during the press conference in Buffalo, reason enough to disqualify him.

so awesome.

i could google it, but i wonder whether any other player has ever had his number retired from an entire league (a la gretzky).

Found this: The NHL's first league-wide number retirement was inspired by Major League Baseball's decision to retire Jackie Robinson's No. 42.

Archived