Name That Former Sabre!

PASabreFan

Good ones. I wouldn't have gotten Virta.

Is this one Gilles Hamel?

Just to clean up the previous "easy one" -- Tom Barrasso.

Yes, the other one is Barrasso, currently the goalie coach down here with the Canes.

The other one is not Hamel. I have a hint that will likely give it away, but I'm interested to see if DD can get it.

How are you getting these, at your age?!

The Sabres franchise is chalk full of mediocre players that have been made fun of for years. I just profile the picture I see, then run through a few who I figure it could be. Makkela was easy because of the blonde hair. Hannu Virta is one of the first names I think of from back then. Mal Davis was interesting, because the radio show looks from Finland, but the guy looks irish. I was thinking Sean McKenna off the top of my head, but then I googled the radio host and the paper trail led me to him.

I used to follow sports at 4 years old. My dad was a cop and would take me to the precient when I was 8 to compete in sports trivia and win money from the other cops. They got a kick out of it. Then on the way home I would look for people that resembled the police sketches on display.

The Sabres franchise is chalk full of mediocre players that have been made fun of for years. I just profile the picture I see, then run through a few who I figure it could be. Makkela was easy because of the blonde hair. Hannu Virta is one of the first names I think of from back then. Mal Davis was interesting, because the radio show looks from Finland, but the guy looks irish. I was thinking Sean McKenna off the top of my head, but then I googled the radio host and the paper trail led me to him.

I used to follow sports at 4 years old. My dad was a cop and would take me to the precient when I was 8 to compete in sports trivia and win money from the other cops. They got a kick out of it. Then on the way home I would look for people that resembled the police sketches on display.

My hint for Mal Davis was going to be Jody Gage before there was a Jody Gage.

Mal Davis scored either the tying goal or the winning goal in probably the greatest comeback in Sabres history. The Bruins led 6-1 early in the second period at the Aud, and the Sabres scored six unanswered to win 7-6. (Looked it up -- Davis got the winner.)

Moving closer to the turn of the century for the youngens:

post-136-053616300 1291592335.txt

Peca's pet Dixon Ward!

These are extremely entertaining to me. As a previous poster commented, the overwhelming obscurity of a lot of these guys makes it somewhat nostalgic to think back to their time period.

Peca's pet Dixon Ward!

These are extremely entertaining to me. As a previous poster commented, the overwhelming obscurity of a lot of these guys makes it somewhat nostalgic to think back to their time period.

Dixon was great. Loved that Ward-Peca-Varada line.

By the way, that photo comes from a site that says Ward is a hockey coach and vice president of a hockey school in British Columbia.

Archived