Name That Former Sabre!

PASabreFan

As long as we're having a brief intermission, here's a photo I spotted that is one part hilarious and one part extremely disturbing. post-136-035128300 1292364208_thumb.jpg

Didn't Barnaby threaten to or want to run Dom because he got Nolan Fired ? Pretty funny in my opinion if you think about it.

If I remember....Rip or someone had made up boxing robes for the tough guys and Dom had one too. I think the picture was them taunting Barnaby with a robe of his own....if he deserved to earn it yet.

You mean its real? It looks photo shopped. If it is real this is the kind of high jinks that can ruin a perfectly good username.

You must not be a boxing fan....

And it was Jim Pizzutelli that made up the robes.

I've always liked boxing. The industry doesn't make it easy to keep up with it these days.

I think after Klitscho-Rahman I decided I wasn't going to pay to watch any more fights. I thin Rahman landed only about 12 good punches in six rounds.

I've always liked boxing. The industry doesn't make it easy to keep up with it these days.

I think after Klitscho-Rahman I decided I wasn't going to pay to watch any more fights. I thin Rahman landed only about 12 good punches in six rounds.

It is such a comical industry.

In one of my surreal adventures, we were involved with a former top heavyweight that was making a return. He was a prefered name in the industry, and the goal was to have him win a few tuneups against schlubs, then beat another guy with a name but past his prime, only to set him up for a championship fight as a top contender. The plan worked, but his first fight back his opponent bailed out the day before the fight and they had to scramble to get someone because there were about 1,000 people at the arena and they would have rioted if he canceled. For a brief moment in time, we contemplated putting myself in the ring with him if we could get around licensing in time if worse came to worse. I've never boxed a round in my life, but was bigger than him and could look the part for 30 seconds and take 4 jabs at him before I crumbled to the mat. They got a guy to show up who was like 2-11. But for 30 fleeting minutes on a sunny January day, I coulda been a contenda. Sad, but true.

In one of my surreal adventures, we were involved with a former top heavyweight that was making a return. He was a prefered name in the industry, and the goal was to have him win a few tuneups against schlubs, then beat another guy with a name but past his prime, only to set him up for a championship fight as a top contender. The plan worked, but his first fight back his opponent bailed out the day before the fight and they had to scramble to get someone because there were about 1,000 people at the arena and they would have rioted if he canceled. For a brief moment in time, we contemplated putting myself in the ring with him if we could get around licensing in time if worse came to worse. I've never boxed a round in my life, but was bigger than him and could look the part for 30 seconds and take 4 jabs at him before I crumbled to the mat. They got a guy to show up who was like 2-11. But for 30 fleeting minutes on a sunny January day, I coulda been a contenda. Sad, but true.

:blink:

You gots balls to even consider that. I don't care how much bigger I am than the "has been", no way I step in a ring with a pro boxer. And a former ranked heavyweight at that? Youz crazy mang.

:lol: My grandfathter was a boxer.

He used to talk about his fights with these guys using fake names:

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/File:Vidabeck.Billy.jpg

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/File:FrancisJ29.jpg

:blink:

You gots balls to even consider that. I don't care how much bigger I am than the "has been", no way I step in a ring with a pro boxer. And a former ranked heavyweight at that? Youz crazy mang.

I had about a 15% chance of it happening. The guy is a good dude and would have tried not killing me for sure. Probably hammer my gut, give a few jabs, and I would crumple to the ground. I was not trained to take head shots from a pro. It was an emergency scenario in order to prevent a riot for all the $$ that had been collected. The 4 of us in the room looked at each other and laughed at the idea, but I was game if not stupid. The only reason I was involved is because we were tied to a lot of athletes on the finance side of things. He was represented by Don King at times and they were trying to do things in-house for that go around....but he ended up having to go back to the devil again for his big shots. It was a fun and learning tangent. If I wasn't a nobody, I swear I could write an interesting book with the crazy stuff I've seen.

:lol: My grandfathter was a boxer.

He used to talk about his fights with these guys using fake names:

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/File:Vidabeck.Billy.jpg

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/File:FrancisJ29.jpg

Ha! Yeah, I guess boxing has always been managed a lot like pop music. They groom these guys then do what they need to do to get them where they want them. Boxing was huge back then. Had to be fun times.

Archived