Vanek blog

spndnchz

So maybe I get more excited being a woman but AYK he's got twin boys coming. MONDAY!!

He says if everything goes well he'll make the game that night.

New entry: November 10th 2010 - Tom talks about the slow Sabres' start into the season and the imminent birth of his twins.

November 10th 2010

That was definitely not the way we envisioned our start into the season I really think that we didn’t play that bad for most of the games. A few really stupid mistakes have cost us some games and all of a sudden we were on a losing streak. Then it’s getting harder and harder to get out of that funk. You grip your stick to hard, even the easiest things suddenly get complicated. Our win in Toronto was all the more important in that situation, even though it was one of our ugliest. But to be honest, we couldn’t really care less. A win is a win. Now we’ve got to try and string together five or six wins and get our game back. That means puck possession and capitalizing on our chances.

Our special teams are surely one of our great weaknesses right now. During the last seasons we were always in the top 10 of the league but this year we just can’t get it going. We have problems entering the zone on the powerplay and getting shots on goal. It’s logical that I don’t get as many chances to tip pucks or get rebounds then. We’ve put a lot of work into improving our powerplay in practice – enter the zone with a few, quick passes and get shots on goal.

My personal negative streak isn’t very helpful, of course. The only good thing is that I don’t get as frustrated as in the last years. I know now that you can’t force anything, but also that every dry spell comes to an end. The sooner the better, naturally. At least I had a lot of chances in most of the games to date, sometimes it was bad luck that the puck didn’t go in.

There’s nothing to sugarcoat, we just didn’t look good in some games. But it would be wrong to put the blame on any single player of the team. Or even on the young ones like Tyler Myers. He’ll make his way, no doubt about that. Teams just know him better this year and try to take him out of the game. Like every player on the team, Tyler maybe just tries too much. I’m sure he’ll get through this phase and will emerge even stronger.

Things are starting to heat up at home. Next Monday is due date for our twins. Ashley is doing really well. Just today we had one of the last examinations and everything is running smoothly. Ashley will have a Caesarean. It’s safer, because one of our boys is lying upside down and a “natural” birth would be too dangerous. I don’t know if I’ll be on the team against Vancouver on Monday evening. Certainly not in the morning for the pre-game-skate as that’s the time of the birth. If everything goes according to the plan and my family is doing well I’d definitely like to play against the Canucks.

That explains it! I remember the last time Vanek had a kid he went on a pretty big scoring skid.

Kidding aside, congrats to TV. Having twins must be one of the coolest things ever - even cooler when you can afford them!

It'd be much cooler if he started scoring some goals.

That over-time miss is not excusable. For a team dying for points, he needs to finish that. Although, it was nice seeing the around the world again. lol

My personal negative streak isn’t very helpful, of course. The only good thing is that I don’t get as frustrated as in the last years. I know now that you can’t force anything, but also that every dry spell comes to an end. The sooner the better, naturally. At least I had a lot of chances in most of the games to date, sometimes it was bad luck that the puck didn’t go in.

There’s nothing to sugarcoat, we just didn’t look good in some games. But it would be wrong to put the blame on any single player of the team. Or even on the young ones like Tyler Myers. He’ll make his way, no doubt about that. Teams just know him better this year and try to take him out of the game. Like every player on the team, Tyler maybe just tries too much. I’m sure he’ll get through this phase and will emerge even stronger.

Tom doesn't have a place to leave comments on his blog so I'll just leave a few observations here.

First if he doesn't get as frustrated as in the last years, does that mean he doesn't care as much?

Second, why point out to a specific teammate like Tyler Myers? Is it to deflect negative criticism of himself?

I think by reading Tom's insights, he just sounds like he says a lot of negative things and you can tell alot about a person by the things they say, whether or not they're a positive or negative person.

Archived