GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Not trying to take away from one of the only good things Stafford has done all year, but really? You want the Sabres to jump people everytime someone lays a clean hit on Vanek? If it's a dirty hit, then sure, I expect a response from somebody and what Stafford did is good... or maybe even if it's on Roy, someone who has actually produced, then maybe you try to protect him. But IDK about giving up powerplays everytime someone cleanly checks a mostly invisible player.

I'm okay with Stafford doing it this time but seriously, I've seen other hits this year (not just Hjarlmarsson) that are a lot more questionable than that hip check... the hit on Vanek was as clean as they come. Great hit. No reason to give them a powerplay and potentially kill all the momentum they had up to that point.

Fortunately it didn't hurt us too bad. I want to see emotion from this team too. I want to see them stick up for each otehr. I just think they need to pick their spots a little better.

I want this team to respond every time. Until it becomes automatic with the entire roster.

This team is pathetic on the power play. Zero shots on tow of the three

I'm actually surprised they haven't had more shorthanded goals against with the way they have played the "I'm gonna carry the puck then drop it off to you at center ice" for the past two season.

I want this team to respond every time. Until it becomes automatic with the entire roster.

I'm with you. I want to see this sort of emotional display. Even if it means more PK work. The team as a whole seems to play better when they are playing with a little edge.

(hopefully next time I'll actually see it)

Sunofab!tch. Tied again.

That's not realistic at all -- actually a tad ridiculous. I get your point, and most of the board shares your wish for a more physical style of play, but you can't just go after people for clean hits. I know we rarely get to see it, but hitting IS part of the game and is not beyond the rules. If you want the Sabres to take a retaliatory penalty for every hit then we're going to need to get a hell of a lot better on the PK, since that unit will spend at least 30 minutes a game on the ice.

I'm with you. I want to see this sort of emotional display. Even if it means more PK work. The team as a whole seems to play better when they are playing with a little edge.

(hopefully next time I'll actually see it)

Sunofab!tch. Tied again.

Every team does. Despite what Regier, Ruff and many posters here think hockey is a physical and emotional sport. You have to have that "edge" to succeed.

That's not realistic at all -- actually a tad ridiculous. I get your point, and most of the board shares your wish for a more physical style of play, but you can't just go after people for clean hits. I know we rarely get to see it, but hitting IS part of the game and is not beyond the rules. If you want the Sabres to take a retaliatory penalty for every hit then we're going to need to get a hell of a lot better on the PK, since that unit will spend at least 30 minutes a game on the ice.

Teams go after teams who take shots at their better players. The difference between other teams and the Sabres is the Sabres have a growing history of losing players taken out by other teams. Miller, Vanek and Pominville are just the recent examples.

It wasn't as clean as you say. Vanek was already engaged with another player when Subban went low. My only complaint is that Stafford didn't knock him unconcious.