[OT] Tried something new while taping my stick

Sterling Archer

I taped my stick normally then hit it with a super hot iron to seal up the seams, waxed it, hit it with the iron, then waxed it again. Looks like it will hold up nicely and the seams look really good.

Interesting. I could see that tape being a huge pain in the ass to take off though if that glue has bonded better than normal.

Personally I've always preferred friction tape over wax, but everybody has their own tastes.

I just don't have an iron to ruin with stick wax. B-)

I just taped my stick this morning, getting skates sharpened for the game at 6:30

Can't wait.

Wednsday we do open skates, I think I will use a stick with no tape just to see what happens

I play with a kid on Tuesdays and Wednesdays who doesn't tape his stick. Needless to say, he has no puck control.

Well aren't you lucky? :nana:

I'm gonna have to give this wax and hairdryer thing a try. I'm curious now. It might help me get a cleaner tape job on my goalie sticks.

It makes the tape job last longer, but on a player's stick - you'll always be limited by the tape wearing out on the bottom. I put one extra layer down there and then melt the wax on it. It is worth the one extra step, but I doubt it is worth the hassle of the OP's method.

It makes the tape job last longer, but on a player's stick - you'll always be limited by the tape wearing out on the bottom. I put one extra layer down there and then melt the wax on it. It is worth the one extra step, but I doubt it is worth the hassle of the OP's method.

My friend does the hair dryer. Although, he may go a lil overboard on the wax and doesn't play much defense, so when we're done his stick looks like he hasn't even played and mine always has nicks and scratches. Plus, I don't have a hair dryer because I don't live with a chick.

My friend does the hair dryer. Although, he may go a lil overboard on the wax and doesn't play much defense, so when we're done his stick looks like he hasn't even played and mine always has nicks and scratches. Plus, I don't have a hair dryer because I don't live with a chick.

Haha!!

WTF does the wax do? I just take off the old friction tape, ball it up, rub it all over the blade to transfer some of the adhesive, then re-tape the stick. I don't understand the whole wax thing, though. Someone please tell me the benefits and why I should do it. And I ain't ruining the Rowenta iron, that's for sure.

WTF does the wax do? I just take off the old friction tape, ball it up, rub it all over the blade to transfer some of the adhesive, then re-tape the stick. I don't understand the whole wax thing, though. Someone please tell me the benefits and why I should do it. And I ain't ruining the Rowenta iron, that's for sure.

Someone once told me that it actually holds water off the tape so it doesn't saturate. I tried with and without and there wasn't a difference really... but I'm not much of a stick handler though.

Wax is basically a substitute for friction tape. You use friction tape to get better control and wax does similar. Most people use wax because regular tape is more durable than friction tape. I like to retape my sticks though and I like the smell of friction tape because I'm weird.

So basically, you're telling me that if I just use black cloth tape and then rub/melt wax all over it, it should last longer? Yeah, I ain't buyin' it. 34 years of doing it my way; I'll keep doing so. I like my way, so there!

White seems to last the longer for me. But the answer is absolutely it will last longer.

• 1 month later...

Archived