New center ice logo at HSBC Arena

Two or less

I think you could manage to complain about winning the lottery.

"Franklin's head isn't big enough on this 100 dollar bill. Why'd they change the design of this, the original was classic!"

"Franklin wasn't even a president. If you look at his stats, we should've traded him for napoleon before we got stuck with him these last 100 years."

(And not after the Goathead, either, except in the Slug.)

Not true. The third jerseys in the Slug era (and, thus, the new home/away jerseys), including the Winter Classic jersey, have red eyes, too. Also, looking back at photos of from the early history, it always looks to be dark (hard to tell if it's red in the early shots, but definitely not white pupils) and from at least Pat Lafontaine vintage, they definitely appear to be red.

Edit: Shrader beat me to it.

My point being, if it wasn't red in 1970, then it won't be in that "anniversary" logo.

Yeah, I know what you were saying. If we want to nitpick though, we could say that the original logo didn't say 1970, so they've already broken from it. I guess the easiest way to check and see if that center ice logo will have the red eye is to look at the leaked 3rd jersey and see if that has a red eye.

The eye was red on the original jerseys. I'm not sure if it goes all the way back to 1970, but it was definitely pre-goat head.

I'll take your word for it. My research consisted of looking at a button I have and some photos in Budd Bailey's book. No red eyes. Someone pointed out a few years ago on here how much tinkering was done with the "classic" logo over the years. I wonder if the red eye came and went.

I'll take your word for it. My research consisted of looking at a button I have and some photos in Budd Bailey's book. No red eyes. Someone pointed out a few years ago on here how much tinkering was done with the "classic" logo over the years. I wonder if the red eye came and went.

with printing and such other stuff, the logo is usually left without the red eye to save on costs as its one less color.

The story I always heard about the red eye (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) was that it was done as an anti-counterfitting thing. I guess that would imply that the original logo didn't have the red eye. People would actually have to start making fake merchandise before that would become a problem, right?

The story I always heard about the red eye (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) was that it was done as an anti-counterfitting thing. I guess that would imply that the original logo didn't have the red eye. People would actually have to start making fake merchandise before that would become a problem, right?

The eye appears in gold in some print logos I've been looking at. I have a Starter satin jacket from the mid 80s where it's gold too. Chris Creamer has a popular sports logo site, and his original logo has no coloring at all in the eye. http://www.chriscrea...logo.php?id=230

Then there's this. I rest my cake.

post-136-049234800 1284407448_thumb.jpg

Edit: here's the link to the Sabres cake site. http://sugarbitesbaking.blogspot.com/2009/03/buffalo-sabres-cake-cupcakes.html

The eye appears in gold in some print logos I've been looking at. I have a Starter satin jacket from the mid 80s where it's gold too. Chris Creamer has a popular sports logo site, and his original logo has no coloring at all in the eye. http://www.chriscrea...logo.php?id=230

Then there's this. I rest my cake.

post-136-049234800 1284407448_thumb.jpg

Edit: here's the link to the Sabres cake site. http://sugarbitesbaking.blogspot.com/2009/03/buffalo-sabres-cake-cupcakes.html

My oh la la Pierre jersey has the red eye and its from the 1988-1989 season.

Archived