Stanley Cup coming to Buffalo!!

Sabre Dance

At least for one day, the Stanley Cup will be in Buffalo. Patrick Kane will be bringing the Cup home for a visit tomorrow (Friday). Buffalo News article It looks like Kane will be giving the Cup a good wash by taking it to the "hurricane" deck at the Cave of the Winds in Niagara Falls. Then, he will be making nice by also visiting cancer patients with it and taking it to the New Era flagship store where families of Buffalo police officers and firefighters will get a chance to see it.

Fortunately, I work at one of the locations the Cup will be visiting, so I'll get a second chance to see it up close. (It visited my workplace back in 2006 when the Sabres were in the Conference Finals with Carolina.) The unfortunate thing is that this may be the only way Buffalonians will get to see the Cup for some time - maybe the only way the Sabres will get to see it up close, too...:doh:

I lived in Florida when the Lightning won the cup and missed going to see it. I am hoping to go tomorrow even to just watch from the sidewalk, lol. I am planning on heading to the New Era store...do you think any other fans will be out there? Any advice? This is my first time doing anything like this so any words of wisdom will be appreciated! Thank you.

Its a joke. Leave it out of the city unless the team actually wins it.

I say parade it around as much as possible. Maybe it'll inspire some people when they see it. Or maybe not, since the DR is probably resting on a floatie in the pool of the Cheyenne, Wyoming Best Western Dude Ranch.

I say parade it around as much as possible. Maybe it'll inspire some people when they see it. Or maybe not, since the DR is probably resting on a floatie in the pool of the Cheyenne, Wyoming Best Western Dude Ranch.

Inspire people into beliving what? That a false hope might lead to a championship? I cant get behind the idea of some smuck kid who used to be from buffalo, but now denouces it, charading around our city with the most prestious championship in sports.

Inspire people into beliving what? That a false hope might lead to a championship? I cant get behind the idea of some smuck kid who used to be from buffalo, but now denouces it, charading around our city with the most prestious championship in sports.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Where / when did he denounce Buff-lo? When he won the SC, he was talking up the fact he's from there in the on-ice interview. That interview didn't sound like the words of someone "denouncing" his hometown.

The "some people" I was referring to would be Sabres management, though either way you sound a little bitter. And I don't see how a kid from Buffalo, who wins the Cup in Chicago then brings the Cup back to his hometown, deserves criticism. And doesn't he still make his off-season home in Buffalo? If so, while I'm not personally aware of his previous denouncements, why would he denounce the place where he was born and now chooses to live?

I think if I was coaching the Sabres, I would've had every player who was on my roster following Kane around all day. They need to see the excitement that the Stanley Cup causes wherever it goes and put that into their on-ice effort. I got back a short time ago from the lobby of Roswell Park Cancer Institute. The lobby was nearly full of fans wanting to glimpse the most impressive trophy in professional sports (oh, there were some teenage girls there waiting for a look at Pat Kane, too..) There news cameras, reporters and microphones everywhere. Man, I got a lump in my throat when I caught site of the Cup. Just imagine if the Sabres could bring it home.....:clapping:

The Stanley Cup is indeed coming to Buffalo in 2011. Miller and Vanek will battle for hoisting it the longest.

Good man.

Schmuck or smug?

does he have his swimmies on?

very nice.

From Twitter:

mirtle: What's this? Patrick Kane is stuck in a tree?

news4buffalo: Day was going well for Stanley Cup and Pat Kane around WNY, but now he's stuck on a firetruck ladder. Latest at 5: http://ow.ly/i/3bJs

If true -- can anyone ever deny again that he is a full-blown meathead?

I think if I was coaching the Sabres, I would've had every player who was on my roster following Kane around all day.

I wouldn't go that far, but that's pretty close to what I was getting at. Just seeing that thing is pretty inspirational. From the management perspective, you start to forget about silly little things like money and salary caps and season ticket figures and you start to dream about having that thing to parade around in your hometown one day. Unfortunately, I doubt the Cup will be making its way to Golisano's Florida neighborhood. The humidity would tarnish the silver anyway.

I wouldn't go that far, but that's pretty close to what I was getting at. Just seeing that thing is pretty inspirational. From the management perspective, you start to forget about silly little things like money and salary caps and season ticket figures and you start to dream about having that thing to parade around in your hometown one day. Unfortunately, I doubt the Cup will be making its way to Golisano's Florida neighborhood. The humidity would tarnish the silver anyway.

Tampa Bay didn't think so.

My wife works at Roswell and he brought It to her unit. She was about 6 inches away from It and him. For what it's worth, she said he seemed really annoyed that his "handlers" kept pushing him on while he was actually trying to spend more time with each patient. Even though his people had previously stated that no autographs would be allowed due to time constraints, he was genuinely happy to sign stuff for the patients who requested them. The security and NHL reps kept discouraging people but he over-rode them several times and stopped to sign anyways. She said he seemed like a nice kid, who was clearly uncomfortable with the whole spectacle and the choas and having to be "handled".

And this was all in a place where there was no cameras or press around. Her unit is a sealed unit because the patients are immuno-suppressed and therefore can't leave the floor. They made a special request for him to please come up to her unit and he obliged, though the press waited outside.

I'm as jaded as the next guy about pro athletes, but this was still pretty nice to hear. Anyways, take it for what it's worth.

Here are some pics:

http://www.roswellpark.org/media/news/nhls-kane-brings-stanley-cup-roswell-park

This might be a good time for a primer on Cup history. I probably don't have this exactly right, but the original bowl was removed in the 60s and is in the HHOF. A replica was created and that's the "official" Cup today. When the real Cup is out on the road, another complete replica (not the original bowl) stands in at the HHOF. The rings are removed from time to time. So, really, the Cup that made its way around Buffalo yesterday isn't that historic at all. What's the oldest element on it?

Archived