Stanley Cup coming to Buffalo!!

Sabre Dance

Quite a bit of negativity and borderline anger in this thread. The kid brought the Cup he deservedly won back to his hometown, showed it around to a bunch of steel workers and cancer patients, played some ball hockey with his buddies and some kids, and by all accounts handled himself with class and showed Buffalo in a pretty positive light. Seems all good to me.

Quite a bit of negativity and borderline anger in this thread. The kid brought the Cup he deservedly won back to his hometown, showed it around to a bunch of steel workers and cancer patients, played some ball hockey with his buddies and some kids, and by all accounts handled himself with class and showed Buffalo in a pretty positive light. Seems all good to me.

I don't get it either.

This tradition has to be one of the coolest in all of sports. That picture of him holding the Cup in front of the falls is EPIC! Although it would have better if it was Kennedy.

My wife works at Roswell and he brought It to her unit. She was about 6 inches away from It and him. For what it's worth, she said he seemed really annoyed that his "handlers" kept pushing him on while he was actually trying to spend more time with each patient. Even though his people had previously stated that no autographs would be allowed due to time constraints, he was genuinely happy to sign stuff for the patients who requested them. The security and NHL reps kept discouraging people but he over-rode them several times and stopped to sign anyways. She said he seemed like a nice kid, who was clearly uncomfortable with the whole spectacle and the choas and having to be "handled".

And this was all in a place where there was no cameras or press around. Her unit is a sealed unit because the patients are immuno-suppressed and therefore can't leave the floor. They made a special request for him to please come up to her unit and he obliged, though the press waited outside.

I'm as jaded as the next guy about pro athletes, but this was still pretty nice to hear. Anyways, take it for what it's worth.

Here are some pics:

http://www.roswellpa...up-roswell-park

Again, it's tough to tell these days with pro athletes, but the kid seemed genuinely effected emotionally after his Roswell visit. I wouldn't say I'm defending the kid (despite being from South Buffalo myself), but after all he is just 20. I couldn't find my a$$ with both hands when I was 20, so maybe this was one small step towards maturity for him.

It is a very impressive trophy up close. I had the extreme good fortune to actually lay hands on the Cup when it was at Roswell in 2006 (and yes, I have a picture...wearing my vintage Sabres' jersey, of course!).

It is obviously quite large and looking at the names engraved on it is a hockey history lesson in itself. It'd sure be nice to have it come back to Buffalo soon held by a Sabre.....

My wife works at Roswell and he brought It to her unit. She was about 6 inches away from It and him. For what it's worth, she said he seemed really annoyed that his "handlers" kept pushing him on while he was actually trying to spend more time with each patient. Even though his people had previously stated that no autographs would be allowed due to time constraints, he was genuinely happy to sign stuff for the patients who requested them. The security and NHL reps kept discouraging people but he over-rode them several times and stopped to sign anyways. She said he seemed like a nice kid, who was clearly uncomfortable with the whole spectacle and the chaos and having to be "handled".

And this was all in a place where there was no cameras or press around. Her unit is a sealed unit because the patients are immuno-suppressed and therefore can't leave the floor. They made a special request for him to please come up to her unit and he obliged, though the press waited outside.

I'm as jaded as the next guy about pro athletes, but this was still pretty nice to hear. Anyways, take it for what it's worth.

Here are some pics:

http://www.roswellpark.org/media/news/nhls-kane-brings-stanley-cup-roswell-park

What I thought was really neat about those pics was watching those kids touching and kissing the Cup, because they know that they will probably never get the opportunity to ever play hockey and make it into the NHL.

I know I'm about to get pelted with rotten tomatoes over this one, but I remember when Glen Wesley took the Cup to Camp LeJeune, NC and presented it to wounded Marines.

I was hoping Kane would enter HSBC Arena, stand in the middle of the ice on the Sabres logo and state: "I dream of hoisting this cup here, in a Blue and Gold Jersey, while looking at the fans who are more than hungry to see it done". :thumbsup:

Then I woke up and realized Quinn and Regier run the Sabres. <_<

I was hoping Kane would enter HSBC Arena, stand in the middle of the ice on the Sabres logo and state: "I dream of hoisting this cup here, in a Blue and Gold Jersey, while looking at the fans who are more than hungry to see it done". :thumbsup:

Then I woke up and realized Quinn and Regier run the Sabres. <_<

Stooges. Makes me wonder if the FO has become a running comedy gag.

I know I'm about to get pelted with rotten tomatoes over this one, but I remember when Glen Wesley took the Cup to Camp LeJeune, NC and presented it to wounded Marines.

Why would you get pelted with rotten tomatoes? I applaud Wesley for doing that.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Archived