When should we expect those posts damning Regier?

deluca67

August is slowing creeping in and Regier has all but closed the book on the 2010 Buffalo Sabres off-season. No improvements have been made to the team. A poor defensive group may have gotten worse and the Sabres still have the same smallish ineffective forwards as they did last year (and let's face it, the same they will have in 2011-12).

I am not looking for responses from the usual suspects. I looking for those Regierians who swore that this off-season was the breaking point. That if Regier can't get things done they will wash their hands of Status Quo. I am looking forward to the responses. It may be worth another wasted off-season.

I'll meet you at the bonfire with a pitchfork right after Labor Day. Until then, your limit is 10 posts complaining about DR per day.

That will be hard unless he stops giving interviews. Every time he speaks I'm like Green Lantern powering up my ring.

I will also join in after Labor Day. When I joined this board earlier this season, I defended Reiger's plan to avoid the trade deadline deals that 95% of the time yield nothing but rental players and traded away draft picks. I said that Free Agency is where the new pieces must come, or at the least, trades during the offseason. If Labor Day arrives and the major moves are still Leopold and Niedermayer, I will be all about dispatching Reiger.

The one, and only, caveat I will make to that is this - if he dumps Connolly, Stafford and anyone else that can be considered dead weight, and brings up all the kids from Portland. I'm talking Gerbe, Ennis, Weber, Gragnani, Mancari, etc. With so many approaching their first RFA period, if he uses this year as their tryout, to see if they can play with the big leaguers, I am okay with that plan.

More succinctly - the way I will define Reiger's success or failure with this offseason is what he does with Connolly and Stafford. If they're still with this team and new blood (of the trade kind, or of the youngster kind) isn't brought in...I will officially be done with his way of doing things.

Here's the roster at the moment, with ~$6.5-7 million in expected cap space left:

Miller

Lalime

Myers - Leopold

Rivet - Sekera

Montador - Butler

EXTRA: Weber

Vanek - Roy - Stafford

Ennis - Connolly - Pominville

Hecht - Niedermayer - Grier

Kennedy - Gaustad - Kaleta

EXTRAS: Gerbe, McCormick

I suppose I'm okay with the bulk of this roster. We're obviously going with a youth movement here, and it's not unreasonable to expect improvement from Sekera, Butler, and Stafford who are each still young enough to offer hope. Ennis, Gerbe, and Weber look promising as well. Myers is Myers. Kennedy and Kaleta are two high-character hometown boys who have earned multi-year contracts.

One complaint, though, and it's a MAJOR one: Tim Connolly must go. End of story. I've seen enough of his sh!t. Regier has the cap space to upgrade Tiny Tim's roster spot with a Marc Savard type of center. Make it happen.

In my eyes, this is D-Day for both Regier and Ruff. At the bare minimum, the 2010-11 Sabres must make it to the second round or both need to be gone.

So overall, am I defending Regier? I don't think so. He's on very thin ice with me. I will be very unhappy if Ennis ends up being the only addition to our top 6 forwards. But I still don't think the offseason is done. Several teams are going to be above the cap limit (Boston, NJ, Philly, Calgary, Chicago, Vancouver) and will be sellers.

DeLuca, do you mean comments like this?

The Sabres don't appear to have any hot trade irons smoldering. "Right now the trade market is pretty quiet," Regier said. "You're going to see teams looking at the unrestricted market first and then when they can't find what they're looking for, maybe the trade talks will pick up."

http://www.buffalone...rticle79067.ece

I'm always struck by how Darcy talks about the league, not as if he is a general manager in it, but an observer of it, or maybe a GM who has been placed on probation and can't make any moves.

He observes the market, comments on it and once in a while reacts to it, but never shapes it. The trade market is pretty quiet? Sure. So go make a trade. Heat it up, you lukewarm sack of sh*t.

Short of a major trade, I fail to see how Regier is going to be successful this off-season.

Really, that was all but guaranteed at the start of the season and, since the trade market trails the FA market, that's not necessarily a damning statement.

He observes the market, comments on it and once in a while reacts to it, but never shapes it. The trade market is pretty quiet? Sure. So go make a trade. Heat it up, you lukewarm sack of sh*t.

It did seem like a lot of teams were on hold until Kovulchuk moved, after which the trade market would open. Moving before that may not have been possible without way overpaying.

I'm in the "it's not time to damn yet" category, as I do believe that there will be a wave of trades in late-July, early-August. However, that is not to say I think Darcy will be involved; I'm just holding my damning until I'm 100% sure he hasn't done anything.

October 8th - assuming the roster stays as is. There have been no signficant changes from the outside (in our favor) since pre-lockout and a team that just won the Northeast Division is worse than it was 3 months ago. Hard to defend it.

The only losses from last year's team are Lydman and Tallinder. I think they will be replaced by Leopold and one of the kids (hopefully Weber) and by the 2nd half of the season this will be viewed as an upgrade.

Separately, are we damning him to h-e-double hockey sticks? Isn't that a bit strong? He seems like a pretty nice guy.

The only losses from last year's team are Lydman and Tallinder. I think they will be replaced by Leopold and one of the kids (hopefully Weber) and by the 2nd half of the season this will be viewed as an upgrade.

Separately, are we damning him to h-e-double hockey sticks? Isn't that a bit strong? He seems like a pretty nice guy.

A nice guy would bring Lord Stanley's Cup to Buffalo, wouldn't you agree? :rolleyes:

Darcy? Nice? I guess. Nice like Jerry Lundegaard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XM90yYCttM&feature=related

I agree that while very few of us actually expect any significant movement between now and either Labor Day or early October (I expect nothing of impact, but want to be pleasantly surprised/shocked), and he's failed in off-seasons past, he technically should have that time (the full off-season) to make a move(s) before he's officially damned. Yes, it's prolonging the inevitable, but he gets to work with the full amount of time.

I'm always struck by how Darcy talks about the league, not as if he is a general manager in it, but an observer of it, or maybe a GM who has been placed on probation and can't make any moves.

That's a pretty savvy observation there. Very well put.

There are almost 3 more months of offseason. Vancouver can't afford Mayson Raymond so there are going to be a some nice players available like him too.

Vancouver has 6 defenseman making over $3,000,000. Me thinks one or moer of them will get moved before Raymond.

I don't have to give him til Labour Day, or October, I have been saying the same things about him for years, and every year its always the same thing. Everyone else overspent, the market wasn't there, they tried, nothing good out there to improve the team, they are young and players will continue to develop, etc. Nothing ever changes, and theres no sign that it ever will with him.

We have a glut of forwards. I'm guessing he moves one or two for draft picks, ala Paille and MacArthur and that will probably be it. Making a big splash is not his style. I don't particularly like that and I think a shakeup would do the team some good, but I just don't see it happening.

DeLuca, do you mean comments like this?

The Sabres don't appear to have any hot trade irons smoldering. "Right now the trade market is pretty quiet," Regier said. "You're going to see teams looking at the unrestricted market first and then when they can't find what they're looking for, maybe the trade talks will pick up."

http://www.buffalone...rticle79067.ece

Nailed it.

We have a glut of forwards. I'm guessing he moves one or two for draft picks, ala Paille and MacArthur and that will probably be it. Making a big splash is not his style. I don't particularly like that and I think a shakeup would do the team some good, but I just don't see it happening.

My question to to Darcy is:

"Why do you (Darcy) continue to express the view, with actions that reinforce that view, that this team as it's built is on the cusp of being a serious cup contender while the rest of the hockey world and a majority of hardcore Sabre fans do not"?

Thats the line Regiers been selling us for a while now and to fall back on that belief is to admit the experiment failed. He's run out of 'tweeks' that can take this team to the next level. What everyone but Regier seems to be realizing is that we're not simply one or two fringe players away from being a serious cup threat but that the core is in need of a shake-up.

Thats the line Regiers been selling us for a while now and to fall back on that belief is to admit the experiment failed. He's run out of 'tweeks' that can take this team to the next level. What everyone but Regier seems to be realizing is that we're not simply one or two fringe players away from being a serious cup threat but that the core is in need of a shake-up.

I laugh every time I read the opionin that Regier is selling when he talks. He is the practised boring that baseball coaches talk. Try living in the south where GMs have tried to market bad teams in the news for years. REgier is committed to building a team not buying. The same process that grew Miller Campell and Mayers and Pomminvile. He never sounds like a marketing guy like Jerry Muckler always did in every city he managed for.

Archived