[OT] LeBron is a POS

inkman

He proved years ago that he didn't really care about Cleveland when he wore that Yankees hat during an Indians-Yankees playoff game. Then it immediately came out that he grew up a Yankees, Bulls, and Cowboys fan... he was nothing more than a bandwagoner. With that said, I have no problem with him leaving Cleveland. The real problem was how he showed himself to be a massive ego maniac with the circus show he put on today (assuming it was a circus, I didn't dare watch). What an ######. Who does that?

So he should have stayed in Cleveland and ran the very likely risk of never winning a Championship all for the sake of Clevelanders??

Not sure I get this argument.

He took 30 million less to go somewhere he has a legit chance at winning a ring. Say what you want about Today's Heat roster, but don't forget that Pat Riley is running the show and regular Season tip off isn't until November. They'll certainly contend.

Oh and FYI... The proceeds to this whole "circus" are being donated to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, it wasn't a "look at me" move.

I love how some people can't relate to the business side of sports. This is a career move, not a "kiss my *ss" to Cleveland.

I agree with some of this, but not all, though it's a good post.

I don't think he necessarily owed anything to Cleveland, and by the rules of the league, he was free to choose any team he wanted to within those very rules. But let's face it. He had the pieces around him to get it done in Cleveland and he couldn't do it. They finished with the NBA's best record two years in a row, but in the playoffs they couldn't raise their level like some other teams could. So what does this guy do? He bolts for a pre-arranged dream team in order to essentially buy a championship. Yeah, it may be business savvy and it may work ("may" being the key word as it's talent + chemistry + leadership that wins NBA championships--they'll have plenty of one, and a little bit of the other two--so it ain't a lock, though they'll definitely contend), but when these three guys pull this together, it pretty much makes a mockery of the NBA. Or makes the NBA even more of a mockery than it already is. I have zero respect for this move, though I agree it's a career move for a title (taking 30 mil less is fairly irrelevant--I don't knock him or praise him for it, but let's face it, while 30 mil is huge money regardless of how rich you are, and an amount I can't even comprehend, he's still sitting very, very pretty with his new deal, plus his uncapped endorsements that make him liquid rich, plus he's banking on a title, which will make him even more valuable in the future). I still call it a chump career move, but one he was technically entitled to make. The fans of Cleveland sure don't have to like it, and I don't blame 'em.

As for this press conference not being a "look at me" move, I completely disagree with that, regardless of where the money went. When a guy, through his agent, contacts ESPN and essentially lays down the terms of his desired one hour press conference (one hour to announce where he wants to play? Shouldn't that take, like, 30 seconds?), I don't care where the money's going, that's the definition of a "look at me" move. ESPN probably would've held a similar type of presser anyway, and I guarantee it won't affect the ridiculous amount of coverage on that network, but this was a total prima donna move. Donating the money to Boys & Girls Club is nice, but it doesn't change that one bit. Just my opinion.

Bottom line for me: this whole episode cheapens the NBA to the point of laughability. I'm sure The NBA Network...uhhh, I mean ESPN, loves every minute of the drama.

He proved years ago that he didn't really care about Cleveland when he wore that Yankees hat during an Indians-Yankees playoff game. Then it immediately came out that he grew up a Yankees, Bulls, and Cowboys fan... he was nothing more than a bandwagoner. With that said, I have no problem with him leaving Cleveland. The real problem was how he showed himself to be a massive ego maniac with the circus show he put on today (assuming it was a circus, I didn't dare watch). What an ######. Who does that?

Yeah the NYY hay really was a tell tale sign.

Bottom line for me: this whole episode cheapens the NBA to the point of laughability. I'm sure The NBA Network...uhhh, I mean ESPN, loves every minute of the drama.

Bravo my friend, bravo. I just started caring about this league again and in one fell swoop they ###### it all again. ###### you LeBron, ###### you David Stern, ###### you NBA.

I agree with some of this, but not all, though it's a good post.

I don't think he necessarily owed anything to Cleveland, and by the rules of the league, he was free to choose any team he wanted to within those very rules. But let's face it. He had the pieces around him to get it done in Cleveland and he couldn't do it. They finished with the NBA's best record two years in a row, but in the playoffs they couldn't raise their level like some other teams could. So what does this guy do? He bolts for a pre-arranged dream team in order to essentially buy a championship. Yeah, it may be business savvy and it may work ("may" being the key word as it's talent + chemistry + leadership that wins NBA championships--they'll have plenty of one, and a little bit of the other two--so it ain't a lock, though they'll definitely contend), but when these three guys pull this together, it pretty much makes a mockery of the NBA. Or makes the NBA even more of a mockery than it already is. I have zero respect for this move, though I agree it's a career move for a title (taking 30 mil less is fairly irrelevant--I don't knock him or praise him for it, but let's face it, while 30 mil is huge money regardless of how rich you are, and an amount I can't even comprehend, he's still sitting very, very pretty with his new deal, plus his uncapped endorsements that make him liquid rich, plus he's banking on a title, which will make him even more valuable in the future). I still call it a chump career move, but one he was technically entitled to make. The fans of Cleveland sure don't have to like it, and I don't blame 'em.

As for this press conference not being a "look at me" move, I completely disagree with that, regardless of where the money went. When a guy, through his agent, contacts ESPN and essentially lays down the terms of his desired one hour press conference (one hour to announce where he wants to play? Shouldn't that take, like, 30 seconds?), I don't care where the money's going, that's the definition of a "look at me" move. ESPN probably would've held a similar type of presser anyway, and I guarantee it won't affect the ridiculous amount of coverage on that network, but this was a total prima donna move. Donating the money to Boys & Girls Club is nice, but it doesn't change that one bit. Just my opinion.

First of all, The Cavs were NOT built for a Championship run. We'll just agree to disagree there.

Second, if everything you're saying about the press conference is true, then sure, it would seem to be a "look at me" move. Unfortunately, it's all speculation in regards to who set it up, who laid the ground rules down, etc. For all we know, ESPN contacted Lebron and asked if he'd be willing to do it, to which Lebron said, "Hey, great. Another way to raise money while promoting the League and it's players".

Let me know if you find anything that would indicate Lebron set this whole thing up.

I just don't understand how it's ok for some guys to go to winning teams to get a Championship under their belt but it's not ok for the best player in their respective League to do the same.

I'm REALLY trying to find fault hear. I hate this move, I'm a Magic fan for christ's sake. I know what this means for the Division, as well as the Magic's chances going forward. I just can't blame the guy when his reasons for making this decision are genuine; he wants to win.

EDIT: Welcome to the board! :thumbsup:

First of all, The Cavs were NOT built for a Championship run. We'll just agree to disagree there.

Second, if everything you're saying about the press conference is true, then sure, it would seem to be a "look at me" move. Unfortunately, it's all speculation in regards to who set it up, who laid the ground rules down, etc. For all we know, ESPN contacted Lebron and asked if he'd be willing to do it, to which Lebron said, "Hey, great. Another way to raise money while promoting the League and it's players".

Let me know if you find anything that would indicate Lebron set this whole thing up.

I just don't understand how it's ok for some guys to go to winning teams to get a Championship under their belt but it's not ok for the best player in their respective League to do the same.

I'm REALLY trying to find fault hear. I hate this move, I'm a Magic fan for christ's sake. I know what this means for the Division, as well as the Magic's chances going forward. I just can't blame the guy when his reasons for making this decision are genuine; he wants to win.

EDIT: Welcome to the board! :thumbsup:

I don't know where to FIND that info and won't bother looking, but before details were finalized ESPN was reporting LeBron had contacted them about doing the special, with proceeds going to charity.

This just re-affirms that the professional athletes of our generation do not care about the fans or their team. You would have never seen Michael Jordan take part in any of this nonsense. Its double dirty that Cleavland was his hometown. I'd like to believe that my favorite players won't just up-and-leave when someone throws some money in their direction, but its harder every season. Free Agency has ruined sports.

You are exactly right Ink, about the whole thing. I watched the playoffs...Lebron sucked wind at the end and couldn't get it done, like he had promised he would. Shouldn't make promises like that. Now there is nothing but bitterness and anger here. He put guards on his house earlier tonight, before the presser. This ranks right up there with what Modell did. Bad $hit...for the city, for the fans...I grew up in BUFFALO and moved to CLEVELAND and I can't believe I love the teams in both cities and my fate is sealed...to be an anguished sports fan for the rest of my life :(

Hey, I grew up in Buffalo and have been a Browns fan since '54 - before Jimmy Brown arrived. Except for 1964, I know your anguish.

However I totally gave up on them when Modell skipped town.

This just re-affirms that the professional athletes of our generation do not care about the fans or their team. You would have never seen Michael Jordan take part in any of this nonsense. Its double dirty that Cleavland was his hometown. I'd like to believe that my favorite players won't just up-and-leave when someone throws some money in their direction, but its harder every season. Free Agency has ruined sports.

He took less money to go to Miami, as has already been posted in this thread.

He took less money to go to Miami, as has already been posted in this thread.

He may be taking less money from the Heat than he would have gotten from the Cav's, but the money he earns in endorsements far outweighs the money he gets from playing basketball. The difference is negligible when you think of the total amount he'll make.

So he should have stayed in Cleveland and ran the very likely risk of never winning a Championship all for the sake of Clevelanders??

Not sure I get this argument.

Did Jordan leave the Bulls after losing to the Pistons three times? Champions persevere which makes the Championship even more impressive. James took the easy way out.

He took 30 million less to go somewhere he has a legit chance at winning a ring. Say what you want about Today's Heat roster, but don't forget that Pat Riley is running the show and regular Season tip off isn't until November. They'll certainly contend.

I'm sure he will have to really tighten up the budget. Maybe even cut the entourage down from 50 to 35. That "30 million" will easily be made up in endorsement deals. As far as his chances of winning a title? The Heat have a long way to go. They have no big men and no bench. Orlando, Boston and Chicago are still the teams to beat int he East. None of which can even touch the Lakers at this point.

Oh and FYI... The proceeds to this whole "circus" are being donated to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, it wasn't a "look at me" move.

That one hour special was the ultimate "look at me" moment. He completely embarrassed himself with this spectacle. He might want to talk to his "team of advisers" because they failed him miserably. This entire process has tarnished "The King's" crown.

I love how some people can't relate to the business side of sports. This is a career move, not a "kiss my *ss" to Cleveland.

A bad career move yes. He left a great American sports city for a city that has no sports fans and is only known for two things, hookers and cocaine. This move has only accomplished one thing. It has taken James out of the conversation of all time greats. He no longer can be included in the conversations with Bryant, Jordan, Bird or Magic.

All I know is that O'Neal is now the best free agent left. Darcy, get it done. Imagine him in front of Tim Thomas--he'd be immovable. Vanek could score all day with that type of screen. I'll bet O'Neal could learn to skate in three months, and probably can throw a punch, too. But Quinn never will let it happen.

FTW.

the reason that millions of people who have no connection to the nba and/or to the city of cleveland are reacting with visceral disgust to what went down last night has very little (and maybe nothing) to do with the fact that he left in free agency.

He took 30 million less to go somewhere he has a legit chance at winning a ring.

and even at that, the choice he made confirms what he is: an overgrown, freakishly talented sidekick who never developed the mental toughness that he needs to lead a team because everyone's been kissing his big behind since he was 10 or 11 years old, telling him he's god's gift to the game, the league, the nation, the world. oh, and he's the chump who can't stop biting his fingernails and who frickin' TANKED it against boston this year.

as magary wrote over on deadspin: "And I don't care that he asked ESPN to use the commercial airtime tomorrow night to go to charity. That's the most transparent use of charity for the sake of self-glorification I've seen since I saw some actor do it yesterday. 'Hey ESPN, why don't you spend an hour kissing my ######? Oh, don't worry. We'll give the money to AIDS babies. That totally makes me selfless.' No, it doesn't."

could not disagree more. you know what a career move is? just feckin' signing a contract with miami and releasing a statement through your agent. that's a career move. now, i'm not saying that the guy MEANT that little rose ceremony of his last night to serve as a "kiss my *ss, cleveland", but that's what it was. he's just so deluded by his fame, fortune, worldwide adulation, incorporated-status, and is just so lacking in good, practical advice from those who are close to him (all yes-men, all of them), that he apparently couldn't appreciate or understand the collateral damage from what he was doing. and for that, along with all the other shyt associated with this process, he deserves to go down in history as one of the biggest narcissistic douchebags in the history of sports.

in a cruel irony, lebron's decision probably means that i will have renewed interest in the nba -- i will be tuning in to root for him to fail.

I'm not arguing his not missing the 30 mil. I was responding to someone who said he left for the money.

No big men? What is Bosh? And you can say what you want about the Heat fanbase, but they have a cult following throughout the entire state of Florida.

For every example you give of a player not leaving their respective team, I can list one that did. Do you think Garnett feels dirty about his ring? Doubt it. He's not getting dicked on like Lebron is either. What about Shaq? Nobody outside of Orlando gave two shyts about him taking off to LA. Lebron's legacy will be tarnished not because of him wanting a ring but because people feel bad for Cleveland.

Sorry guys, I disagree with the hate.

Didn't the Cavs come into the NBA the same year the Braves came in? Such a long time ago. Anyway, it looks like Mike Gilbert, the Cav's owner agrees with many of you, reviling LeBron as a coward and traitor: http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

Question: Would Tom Y. Golisano write such a letter to let say a Tyler Myers when he packs up and leaves for the big city after about four years time?

I'm not arguing his not missing the 30 mil. I was responding to someone who said he left for the money.

No big men? What is Bosh? And you can say what you want about the Heat fanbase, but they have a cult following throughout the entire state of Florida.

For every example you give of a player not leaving their respective team, I can list one that did. Do you think Garnett feels dirty about his ring? Doubt it. He's not getting dicked on like Lebron is either. What about Shaq? Nobody outside of Orlando gave two shyts about him taking off to LA. Lebron's legacy will be tarnished not because of him wanting a ring but because people feel bad for Cleveland.

Bosh is a complimentary player. He is not a dominant big man that can bang with the big bodies a a team like the Celtics can lay on him. He needs a lot of help which will cost money that the Heat do not have.

Florida is a football state. A college football state to be exact. The Heat have no more fans than the Panthers or Lightning.

Garnett and Shaq both took a lot of heat when they left. It won't be to the extent James will face because Orlando and Minneapolis are not considered sports towns on the level of Cleveland.

You are right, James left 30 million on the table right next to his legacy. At least financially he can recover the $30 million. The other is lost for good.

Guest Sloth

Right now, this board and MANY others are talking about the event that took place last night. People are reading articles and watching ESPN to find out where Lebron is going. Many sports fans who have no care for the NBA have developed some type of interest, either good or bad, in this. This is what the NBA, ESPN, Lebron and his associates want. Popular topic = A LOT of money. And right now a die hard Sabres board is discussing it. Yeah, Lebron and company are making some serious money on this one.

This is the only post I'll make about about this topic.

Garnett was traded to the Celtics. LeBron wasn't, at least Minnesota got something in return for losing Garnett.

Garnett was traded to the Celtics. LeBron wasn't, at least Minnesota got something in return for losing Garnett.

I stand corrected.

Nucci-I already explained why I brought up the 30mil. I realize he isn't missing that money.

Sorry to piss everyone off. I can't find fault in a guy I don't know personally and who has done nothing to make me believe his decision wasn't based on winning a ring.

Didn't the Cavs come into the NBA the same year the Braves came in? Such a long time ago. Anyway, it looks like Mike Gilbert, the Cav's owner agrees with many of you, reviling LeBron as a coward and traitor: http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

Question: Would Tom Y. Golisano write such a letter to let say a Tyler Myers when he packs up and leaves for the big city after about four years time?

After his whiney little letter to Bettman a while back, it seems plausible. I highly doubt Myers goes anywhere before the age of 30.

I stand corrected.

Nucci-I already explained why I brought up the 30mil. I realize he isn't missing that money.

Sorry to piss everyone off. I can't find fault in a guy I don't know personally and who has done nothing to make me believe his decision wasn't based on winning a ring.

At what cost? Ruining your legacy, announcing to the world that you are a coward with no integrity.

As far as his chances of winning a title? The Heat have a long way to go. They have no big men and no bench. Orlando, Boston and Chicago are still the teams to beat int he East. None of which can even touch the Lakers at this point.

A bad career move yes. He left a great American sports city for a city that has no sports fans and is only known for two things, hookers and cocaine. This move has only accomplished one thing. It has taken James out of the conversation of all time greats. He no longer can be included in the conversations with Bryant, Jordan, Bird or Magic.

As far as the bolded part, the finals did go to 7 games this year, and Boston was ahead 3-2 at one point.

I think Miami is now the favorite to win the title. Boston lost Rasheed Wallace and their core is another year older. Orlando is flawed and is now married to Vince Carter, who would fit in well on the Sabres' top 6. Chicago hasn't done anything in the playoffs in years. The Lakers are the obstacle to overcome but I think Miami will do it.

And while Cleveland may be a great sports city, Miami is a much bigger market, and Florida has no state income tax. He will make much more money winning championships in Miami than he would've made frittering away his prime years in Cleveland waiting for them to build a good team around him -- which would've been very difficult given all of the crappy players with big contracts they have now.

Garnett engineered the trade to Boston. It was effectively the same as leaving in free agency, although you are right that Minnesota got something in return. I think I read that Cleveland was not interested in a sign-and-trade though.

After reading Dan Gilbert's letter to the fans, I would almost rather be a Cleveland Cavs fan right now than a Sabres fan! :unsure: Of course everything he said in that letter is highly unlikely (winning a title before the heat, lebron taking the curse with him, etc), but at least, as a fan, I would feel like he wants to win.

"And while Cleveland may be a great sports city, Miami is a much bigger market, and Florida has no state income tax. He will make much more money winning championships in Miami than he would've made frittering away his prime years in Cleveland waiting for them to build a good team around him -- which would've been very difficult given all of the crappy players with big contracts they have now."

Excellent point. LeBron, Kobe, and others make more in endorsements than in NBA salary (Lebron pulled in about $40 million last year according to Forbes with only about $16 million coming from the Cavs). He's more marketable in South Beach and when all is said and done will probably take in more take-home income there than in Cleveland. And honestly, if I was a single millionaire in my mid-20's I'd rather live in Miami than Cleveland... just sayin' :D

Archived