Everyone who wants to blame Regier...

Eleven

John Muckler ? Is he even still alive? I haven't given one thought to him since he left this team. There are plenty of capable people out there that would inject new life into this team within hours of taking over. It's a simple question really. Why would you even want a G.M. that allows himself to be handcuffed by a non hockey person such as Quinn? Or by anyone within the organization. I think everyone can agree the G.M. should have full control over hockey decisions. If not anyone worth his salt would resign.

I would agree that there are others besides John Muckler. I'm not saying that he's better than Darcy by any means. It was unfortunate that he got forced out like he did. However, there has to be someone who is far better than Darcy at the job as GM and who wouldn't mind taking it once Darcy either resigns or is let go.

DeLuca I agree. Quinn seems to be a convenient excuse for Regiers inability to improve this team somewhat perpetrated by his supporters. This tired refrain seems to come back every time someone calls for Darcys head.

John Muckler ? Is he even still alive? I haven't given one thought to him since he left this team. There are plenty of capable people out there that would inject new life into this team within hours of taking over. It's a simple question really. Why would you even want a G.M. that allows himself to be handcuffed by a non hockey person such as Quinn? Or by anyone within the organization. I think everyone can agree the G.M. should have full control over hockey decisions. If not anyone worth his salt would resign.

You never thought of Mucks once during the playoff runs of 98 and 99?

The only positive to Darcy Regier that I can understand is that he has "fleeced" teams in trades. That may be true for the initial trade itself if you project what the players acquired eventually became. However, these same trades where Darcy "fleeced" another team also show just how much of a whimp Darcy is and his lack of confidence in his own player evaluations.

3 big trades where Darcy got the upper hand:

Gratton for Briere

Grosek for Gilmour and Dumont

Ballard and Warrener for Drury.

And what happened to all those players we acquired? Instead of Darcy having confidence that he just picked up impact players that need to be around long term, he played the penny-wise pound foolish game he is so good at.

Takes Briere to arbitration for a 1 year deal and balks at a long term deal for what amounted to $1 million, only to lose to Briere in arbitration, then offered him the same amount of money Briere wanted originally after the fact Briere had cemented his worth and then some.

Dumont....see Briere. Also add in the fact Darcy was throwing around $3 mil per year to the Eurotrash like it was candy, yet he couldn't come up with $2.5 mil longterm for a 30 goal scorer with some grit and a little size.

Gilmour....served his purpose, but wanted nothing to do here long term. Won't blame Darcy for that since Gilmour is a bit of a lone wolf, but interesting how those types of players want out of here as soon as possible.

Drury. Darcy had to pay up for him in the original trade. It turned out nice, but it wasn't a fleecing. However, same old song and dance. Drury agrees to a long term contract only for the Sabres to sit on it for weeks as the Sabres cement themselves in first place and Drury shoots up the charts. Only when the player goes above and beyond on the ice from the price he was asking, will the Sabres offer the actual money. This time, trying to save themselves a few bucks turned their best player against them and made the organization look mickey mouse on the national stage once again. I don't care what anyone says.... when you are a leader, and you are treated like crap by those who decide your future, it is hard to put 100% of your heart and soul into it, and morale suffers down the line. To save $500K, Darcy probably cost the team any real chance it had at building internal momentum to the point of a championship. When all your best players are lame ducks, have fun believing in "the system".

To quote Beyonce, "If you like it then you should've put a ring on it."

The only positive to Darcy Regier that I can understand is that he has "fleeced" teams in trades. That may be true for the initial trade itself if you project what the players acquired eventually became. However, these same trades where Darcy "fleeced" another team also show just how much of a whimp Darcy is and his lack of confidence in his own player evaluations.

3 big trades where Darcy got the upper hand:

Gratton for Briere

Grosek for Gilmour and Dumont

Ballard and Warrener for Drury.

And what happened to all those players we acquired? Instead of Darcy having confidence that he just picked up impact players that need to be around long term, he played the penny-wise pound foolish game he is so good at.

Takes Briere to arbitration for a 1 year deal and balks at a long term deal for what amounted to $1 million, only to lose to Briere in arbitration, then offered him the same amount of money Briere wanted originally after the fact Briere had cemented his worth and then some.

Dumont....see Briere. Also add in the fact Darcy was throwing around $3 mil per year to the Eurotrash like it was candy, yet he couldn't come up with $2.5 mil longterm for a 30 goal scorer with some grit and a little size.

Gilmour....served his purpose, but wanted nothing to do here long term. Won't blame Darcy for that since Gilmour is a bit of a lone wolf, but interesting how those types of players want out of here as soon as possible.

Drury. Darcy had to pay up for him in the original trade. It turned out nice, but it wasn't a fleecing. However, same old song and dance. Drury agrees to a long term contract only for the Sabres to sit on it for weeks as the Sabres cement themselves in first place and Drury shoots up the charts. Only when the player goes above and beyond on the ice from the price he was asking, will the Sabres offer the actual money. This time, trying to save themselves a few bucks turned their best player against them and made the organization look mickey mouse on the national stage once again. I don't care what anyone says.... when you are a leader, and you are treated like crap by those who decide your future, it is hard to put 100% of your heart and soul into it, and morale suffers down the line. To save $500K, Darcy probably cost the team any real chance it had at building internal momentum to the point of a championship. When all your best players are lame ducks, have fun believing in "the system".

To quote Beyonce, "If you like it then you should've put a ring on it."

In all seriousness, thanks for writing that. You're one of the gems of this board. It's funny how the vast majority of posters seem to want to ignore you, hoping you'll go away. Does the truth hurt them that much? Anyway, don't go away. Let me run my fingers through your matted chest hair, until the inevitable dawn.

I happen to be a fan of John Muckler. I was one of the few who supported the booting of Nolan, but I really wished they would have retained Muck.

The guy has excellent hockey sense IMO and I would prefer him over Regier if I had the choice.

But again, I'm probably in the minority.

In all seriousness, thanks for writing that. You're one of the gems of this board. It's funny how the vast majority of posters seem to want to ignore you, hoping you'll go away. Does the truth hurt them that much? Anyway, don't go away. Let me run my fingers through your matted chest hair, until the inevitable dawn.

You forgot to log in as spndchz!

Thanks for the support.

You know that when we picked up Briere and Drury, they were not stars and the NHL was different. Drury was a good solid 20 goal scorer, but not a star player. Briere had one good season with Phoenix and that was it.

The reason they became stars were because of the new rules that the NHL instituted after the lockout. However, Darcy got these players beforehand. I think Darcy "lucked out" on the team he had. No one knew that the NHL was going to open things up. I happen to believe if the NHL had the same clutching and grabbing it had prior to the lockout, the Sabres would've been a 7-11th seed team. Not a 4th and 1st.

I don't ignore him. Hope he doesn't go away. Just don't always agree with him.

You know that when we picked up Briere and Drury, they were not stars and the NHL was different. Drury was a good solid 20 goal scorer, but not a star player. Briere had one good season with Phoenix and that was it.

The reason they became stars were because of the new rules that the NHL instituted after the lockout. However, Darcy got these players beforehand. I think Darcy "lucked out" on the team he had. No one knew that the NHL was going to open things up. I happen to believe if the NHL had the same clutching and grabbing it had prior to the lockout, the Sabres would've been a 7-11th seed team. Not a 4th and 1st.

I know, I'm too much of an optimist, but if he did it before, he can do it again. Get the guys who are not stars yet and watch them shine here. (And I don't think it was only the rule changes. That team came together.)

If he doesn't do it again, I'm done with him. But I want Quinn gone, too.

I don't ignore him. Hope he doesn't go away. Just don't always agree with him.

I know, I'm too much of an optimist, but if he did it before, he can do it again. Get the guys who are not stars yet and watch them shine here. (And I don't think it was only the rule changes. That team came together.)

If he doesn't do it again, I'm done with him. But I want Quinn gone, too.

I would like to see Quinn gone and it has nothing to do with Regier. Quinn is just not a hockey guy.

I saw John Muckler in the Wegman's on Transit when I was in town this past weekend. He wasn't looking too good and he was wearing a Senators t-shirt.

Was he carrying a 30 pack of Stroh's? That guy's nose shines brighter than a stoplight.

Was he carrying a 30 pack of Stroh's? That guy's nose shines brighter than a stoplight.

I don't think there was any beer in his cart, but the nose surely was a beacon. To be honest, the Senators t-shirt is what I first noticed. I thought, why is that old guy wearing a Senators t shirt in Sabres country? As I got closer only then did I realize that it was Muckler.

I don't think there was any beer in his cart, but the nose surely was a beacon. To be honest, the Senators t-shirt is what I first noticed. I thought, why is that old guy wearing a Senators t shirt in Sabres country? As I got closer only then did I realize that it was Muckler.

Complete with white hair and Coke Bottle glasses?

I remember reading this when it came out. I'm not going to re-read all of that again. I'm not that far over the transom, whatever that means.

I continue to be left with these questions: if ownership is so bad, and Regier is such a good GM, why is he still here? And if ownership and management are so bad, and Ruff is such a good coach, why is he still here?

They're all co-conspirators. This Gang of Four has hijacked my team, has it and me by the short hairs, and won't let go. It's making me progressively more miserable. Only one thing is going to liberate us -- the day OSP sells the team. They've considered offers and probably still are. LQ has admitted it. Hopefully it won't be long, but OSP will probably try to squeeze the last penny out of the thing.

this

Did the T-shirt say "I was the GM for the Ottawa Senators and all I got was this lousy T-shirt!" ?

• 3 weeks later...

Ha ha ha! Please call me the next time you walk into your bosses office and tell him/her to keep their nose out of your job. I want to see that. :lol:

PTR

I actually did that once; I lasted slightly longer, but not much longer, than you would expect. I have a different, and much better, job now. But of course, I had a pool of potential other employers; Regier has only 29 other possibilities (none of whom will hire someone who stirs the waters; c.f. Ted Nolan.)

I actually did that once; I lasted slightly longer, but not much longer, than you would expect. I have a different, and much better, job now. But of course, I had a pool of potential other employers; Regier has only 29 other possibilities (none of whom will hire someone who stirs the waters; c.f. Ted Nolan.)

All he'd have to do is avoid reaming the Quinnster PUBLICLY to remain a viable hire somewhere else. But here's the thing, as I see it anyway. Regier and Quinn more than likely see things the same way, or Regier would have politely resigned the first chance he got. Considering his team had just finished their second straight season in the ECF at the time, he'd have been plenty hireable somewhere else. Face it, they're all made for each other.

Ha ha ha! Please call me the next time you walk into your bosses office and tell him/her to keep their nose out of your job. I want to see that. :lol:

PTR

You want to pretend that working for a professional sports franchise is the same as anywhere else?

All he'd have to do is avoid reaming the Quinnster PUBLICLY to remain a viable hire somewhere else. But here's the thing, as I see it anyway. Regier and Quinn more than likely see things the same way, or Regier would have politely resigned the first chance he got. Considering his team had just finished their second straight season in the ECF at the time, he'd have been plenty hireable somewhere else. Face it, they're all made for each other.

That's one of the greatest lines in SabreSpace history. Seriously.

Even if he did that, Quinn/Tommy-boy still sign the checks. Darcy can offer the moon and stars to a free agent but Larry has to okay it. Darcy could be the greatest GM in the NHL but you'd never know it if Larry Quinn won't back him up.

PTR

Archived