[OT] World Cup

Guest Sloth

Guest Sloth

I am in high hopes for a USA victory on Saturday. I'm also a little nervous about it. People are not giving Ghana enough credit. Speed is Ghana's strongest attribute, and USA will have to setup a conservative, ball control type of game to slow things down. USA is good at that. Go USA!!!

I am in high hopes for a USA victory on Saturday. I'm also a little nervous about it. People are not giving Ghana enough credit. Speed is Ghana's strongest attribute, and USA will have to setup a conservative, ball control type of game to slow things down. USA is good at that. Go USA!!!

I've been very impressed with Cherondolo and Bocanegra on the outside so far. Demerit seems to struggle without Onyewu next to him, I'd like to see fielhaber get the start over Clark and Bradley to play a more defensive role. I think that would help neutralize Ghana's speed.

I was listening to Mike and Mike on ESPJN radio this morning and one of those two knuckleheads compared the US goal/victory the other day to the Miracle on Ice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am tired of this comparison even when the US beat Canada in hockey this year. The Miracle on Ice was amateurs vs a professional machine. All the talking heads are so focus in the now and have no idea about the past. Some dope at work was calling it the Miracle on Grass. I think he was on grass.

I would argue that the 1960 Hockey Gold Medal winning team was a bigger feat than the 1980 team.

Back on subject

Ghana is now the sentimental home team as the only African team left. Ghana will be playing with a lot of pride. The US needs to tighten up their defense. I think the US will try to counter.

USA 2 - Ghana 1

Guest Sloth

I am tired of this comparison even when the US beat Canada in hockey this year. The Miracle on Ice was amateurs vs a professional machine. All the talking heads are so focus in the now and have no idea about the past. Some dope at work was calling it the Miracle on Grass. I think he was on grass.

I would argue that the 1960 Hockey Gold Medal winning team was a bigger feat than the 1980 team.

Back on subject

Ghana is now the sentimental home team as the only African team left. Ghana will be playing with a lot of pride. The US needs to tighten up their defense. I think the US will try to counter.

USA 2 - Ghana 1

The comparison between the past and the present will always go on. It's fun, but it can be annoying at times. Today, kids claim Kobe Bryant, a guy I truly dislike, is the greatest basketball ball player of all time. I'm pushing 30, so I can try to say Jordan is the best to ever play. This type of debate can pertain to almost everything in sports. People should simply look at one particular goal, game, player, etc... and enjoy it for what it's worth. I went nuts, spilled a beer when I jumped screaming "GOAL!", when Team USA scored that dramatic goal against Algeria, but I won't compare it to any other goal I've witnessed. A way I look at it is considering it as one of the greatest goals I've seen. I won't say Donovan's goal is the best I've ever seen, but I will say it is amongst the best. Donovan's goal is up there with Drury's (Rangers game 5), Parise's (Canada gold medal game), and many others. Again, I apply this frame of thought to goals, games, players, etc... A lot of sports fans should give this way of thinking a try.

Getting back to World Cup talk. Team USA is playing with a tremendous amount of heart, and this is a big reason why they are in the Round of 16. Coming back from a 2-0 deficit is insane, and 3 of their 4 goals have come after the 80th minute! That is pretty amazing when you think about it. Team USA has to make sure they come out hard and score an EARLY goal against Ghana. Playing Ghana in Africa will be tough...practically a home game for them. Team USA has to make it a slow, conservative, ball control type of game. Germany did a pretty good job of that when they played Ghana the other day.

The comparison between the past and the present will always go on. It's fun, but it can be annoying at times. Today, kids claim Kobe Bryant, a guy I truly dislike, is the greatest basketball ball player of all time. I'm pushing 30, so I can try to say Jordan is the best to ever play. This type of debate can pertain to almost everything in sports. People should simply look at one particular goal, game, player, etc... and enjoy it for what it's worth. I went nuts, spilled a beer when I jumped screaming "GOAL!", when Team USA scored that dramatic goal against Algeria, but I won't compare it to any other goal I've witnessed. A way I look at it is considering it as one of the greatest goals I've seen. I won't say Donovan's goal is the best I've ever seen, but I will say it is amongst the best. Donovan's goal is up there with Drury's (Rangers game 5), Parise's (Canada gold medal game), and many others. Again, I apply this frame of thought to goals, games, players, etc... A lot of sports fans should give this way of thinking a try.

I am also creeping on 30 and Kobe isn't even the best player in his teams history. There was this guy named Ervin Magic Johnson. Jordan is the best so far, end of argument.

I think Landon's goal is the 2nd best goal in US history. The best was by Joe Gaetjens in the 1950 World Cup game against England. There was a great story about him in SI recently.

I am skewing old today.

Guest Sloth

I am also creeping on 30 and Kobe isn't even the best player in his teams history. There was this guy named Ervin Magic Johnson. Jordan is the best so far, end of argument.

I think Landon's goal is the 2nd best goal in US history. The best was by Joe Gaetjens in the 1950 World Cup game against England. There was a great story about him in SI recently.

I am skewing old today.

I agree Kobe isn't even the best player to ever be on the Lakers. Magic Johnson was beyond incredible. It was amazing he could play as great as he did considering how big he was! Magic is easily one of the greatest to ever play. I have my idea of the best players, but I'll never signal one out as the number one player of all time. Kobe is NOT even close to being amongst the greatest. Please don't think I was thinking that. He is FAR too over rated. I was just pointing out what so many kids say today. The younger generations don't want to consider the past.

But enough about basketball! I hate it, so I can't believe I'm even talking about it.

Let's get back to the World Cup. Team USA beating England in 1950 is still considered one of the BIGGEST upsets of all time. I'll have to see if they have a video of that goal, most likely not, on youtube.

As for Team USA tomorrow, I'm excited/anxious all at once. I am HOPING the US can bring the momentum they had in the 2nd half to tomorrow's game. To be honest, Team USA missed some great opportunities to put the Algeria game away. Thankfully Lando slammed it home. The game shouldn't have come down to what it did. Team USA has to contain the speed of Ghana, though. I'm sure coach Bradley has a game plan in mind.

Tomorrow's game is one of the biggest games in the history for Team USA. I am glad that so many sports writers across the US have been talking about how much soccer has grown in the United States, and how it will continue to grow. Just compare 1990's team to today's team. Team USA has far more true world class players on the team than ever before. Team USA's goalie is amongst the elite. Again, I am excited/anxious about tomorrow's game! Go Team USA!!!

Tomorrow's game is one of the biggest games in the history for Team USA. I am glad that so many sports writers across the US have been talking about how much soccer has grown in the United States, and how it will continue to grow. Just compare 1990's team to today's team. Team USA has far more true world class players on the team than ever before. Team USA's goalie is amongst the elite. Again, I am excited/anxious about tomorrow's game! Go Team USA!!!

I can't wait until 230 tomorrow. Yeah, we're more poised than ever before, and the bracket (which the USA EARNED) is kind. Let's see a win tomorrow and another win to get to the semis!

Guest Sloth

Too lazy to check, but I think the game starts at 2:00. That may just be pre-game coverage, though. That'll be fine. I can have a couple of pre-game beers! Here's to Team USA! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Guest Sloth

You've probably seen this already, but it's worth watching again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w

Deluca, this message is intended for you. This video clearly defines the love the United States has for soccer. Even though Team USA got knocked out today, people were still proud of what they have done, and what they will achieve in the future. Your perception of how the U.S. views soccer is completely wrong. You could've gone to ANY sports bar today and realized that. It's too bad you're so against to realizing soccer has become popular in the United States. You can make your poor, misinformed remarks about soccer in the U.S., and you can also try to say soccer has maximized it's growth in the U.S. It is OBVIOUS you are wrong when you try to declare the United States opinion of soccer. You're simply a person who will not recognize what soccer has become in the United States. It may be an age factor, not sure how old you are, lack of interest in soccer, or a simple hatred of the game. In a sports bar today, you would've seen people standing on their feet the entire game. Getting excited every time the U.S. brought the ball inton Ghana's territory. You have obviously not tried to give a soccer chance. You most definitely do not realize the excitement that is involved throughout the ENTIRE game. It's unfortunate you feel this way, but you are free to think whatever it is you believe. But I will say this, you are wrong when you try to say the majority of the U.S. has the same feelings you do. Soccer has grown, and it will continue to grow in the United States. So to say that I, and others on this board, am wrong, you're simply making yourself look like a person who is not willing to look at a number of things from different perspectives. I'd hate to know your religous and governmental opinions. I do not wish to cross that line, but I have no respect for you. I have literally said that about only a FEW people. This is not based on the soccer discussion. My opinion of you is based on a number of things you have tried to say on a number of different topics. And I'm sure this is an opinion many people share of you...

Apparently every player on Ghana is a frail flower petal since every thirty seconds one would be on the ground screaming in pain. I hate soccer.

Didn't watch any World Cup, won't watch soccer ever. The players are pusses and the game is boring.

Deluca, this message is intended for you. This video clearly defines the love the United States has for soccer. Even though Team USA got knocked out today, people were still proud of what they have done, and what they will achieve in the future. Your perception of how the U.S. views soccer is completely wrong. You could've gone to ANY sports bar today and realized that. It's too bad you're so against to realizing soccer has become popular in the United States. You can make your poor, misinformed remarks about soccer in the U.S., and you can also try to say soccer has maximized it's growth in the U.S. It is OBVIOUS you are wrong when you try to declare the United States opinion of soccer. You're simply a person who will not recognize what soccer has become in the United States. It may be an age factor, not sure how old you are, lack of interest in soccer, or a simple hatred of the game. In a sports bar today, you would've seen people standing on their feet the entire game. Getting excited every time the U.S. brought the ball inton Ghana's territory. You have obviously not tried to give a soccer chance. You most definitely do not realize the excitement that is involved throughout the ENTIRE game. It's unfortunate you feel this way, but you are free to think whatever it is you believe. But I will say this, you are wrong when you try to say the majority of the U.S. has the same feelings you do. Soccer has grown, and it will continue to grow in the United States. So to say that I, and others on this board, am wrong, you're simply making yourself look like a person who is not willing to look at a number of things from different perspectives. I'd hate to know your religous and governmental opinions. I do not wish to cross that line, but I have no respect for you. I have literally said that about only a FEW people. This is not based on the soccer discussion. My opinion of you is based on a number of things you have tried to say on a number of different topics. And I'm sure this is an opinion many people share of you...

You are under a misguided impression that I have any feelings towards soccer at all and that I would ever care what your opinion of me is. The only way I would ever care about the World Cup is if they initiated Risk rules where the winning country takes over the losing country. That would be interesting, not watching 20+ guys rolling around like they were hit by a car every time someone comes near them. So enjoy your orange slices and herbal tea and place me on your ignore list so you can properly mourn the death of soccer interest in this country for another four years.

I by no means am a soccer buff, but I enjoyed the ride. I watched games in the town square of Prague this week. Simply excellent. Especially when the Slovaks took out the Italians. It was great theatre.

I'm disappointed the US is out again at the hands of Ghana. They had such a favorable draw to the final four.

Guest Sloth

Deluca67, you didn't quite get the message I was trying to send. Apparently you're not as bright as I thought you were. The United States passion for soccer has grown tremendously and you cannot deny that. I could say what I said earlier, but there really is no reason...unless you're that illiterate. You can TRY to lay claim that the United States has no interest, but you are in the complete wrong. More and more kids are playing soccer than ever before. More and more people are pulling for Team USA than ever before. How can you even try to say the United States has experienced some type of "death" in soccer? I find it quite hilarious when people, like you, try to bad mouth the game. You obviously have little knowledge of the sport and the love people around the world have for it. If you're a person who thinks a Superbowl win is a world championship, you're a complete idiot. I cannot believe I just sunk to your level...

thank god we lost!! NOW I CAN GO BACK TO PRETENDING THIS GOD-AWFUL SNOOZEFEST OF A SPORT DOES NOT EXIST FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS.

if you guys are all determined to get a hard-on for "international" sports, i advise you to subscribe to fox soccer plus- not for the awful boring soccer, but for the test rugby. the tri-nations starts in two weeks, and i'm pretty sure none of the games will wind up 1-1.

Deluca67, you didn't quite get the message I was trying to send. Apparently you're not as bright as I thought you were. The United States passion for soccer has grown tremendously and you cannot deny that. I could say what I said earlier, but there really is no reason...unless you're that illiterate. You can TRY to lay claim that the United States has no interest, but you are in the complete wrong. More and more kids are playing soccer than ever before. More and more people are pulling for Team USA than ever before. How can you even try to say the United States has experienced some type of "death" in soccer? I find it quite hilarious when people, like you, try to bad mouth the game. You obviously have little knowledge of the sport and the love people around the world have for it. If you're a person who thinks a Superbowl win is a world championship, you're a complete idiot. I cannot believe I just sunk to your level...

Your silly attempts at insults aside. More kids are playing soccer because it's a cheap and safe activity that any child, no matter what their athletic ability is, can play.

The two biggest icons in American soccer are David Beckham because he married a Spice Girl and the Spanish GOOOOOOOAAAALLLLLLLL announcer. And you may toss the girl who ripped off her top on that list. Now that the US is out soccer goes back to being irrelevant for another four years. Soccer is like swimming and gymnastics, people only care about it every four years. Then those sports completely disappear from the sports landscape.

I by no means am a soccer buff, but I enjoyed the ride. I watched games in the town square of Prague this week. Simply excellent. Especially when the Slovaks took out the Italians. It was great theatre.

I'm disappointed the US is out again at the hands of Ghana. They had such a favorable draw to the final four.

We had Ghana (ranked 32nd by FIFA) and Uruguay (ranked 16th) instead of Germany (6th) and probably Argentina (7th). One of the easiest roads to the semifinals you can realistically expect, and we blew it mainly because we refused to show up in the first half (or first 10 minutes for that matter) of any game this World Cup.

The US needs to wise up on defense over the next 4 years. And also find some more prospects at striker, especially if Altidore doesn't mature.

Your silly attempts at insults aside. More kids are playing soccer because it's a cheap and safe activity that any child, no matter what their athletic ability is, can play.

The two biggest icons in American soccer are David Beckham because he married a Spice Girl and the Spanish GOOOOOOOAAAALLLLLLLL announcer. And you may toss the girl who ripped off her top on that list. Now that the US is out soccer goes back to being irrelevant for another four years. Soccer is like swimming and gymnastics, people only care about it every four years. Then those sports completely disappear from the sports landscape.

Why is this even a bad thing? It's true: almost anyone of any athletic skill level in any income bracket can step onto a field and kick a ball. But to actually be good at soccer? Like any other sport, it requires years of practice and good genes. You never see guys with double digit body fat %'s or clumsy footwork playing soccer at competitive levels. You're always trying to imply that soccer is a "sissy" sport that "real men" don't play, which IMO is indicative of your low maturity and intelligence levels.

I also find it ironic that two of the biggest soccer criticisms here are that it's too low-scoring and it's not a relevant sport on the US landscape...considering that this is a hockey message board and all...(FYI, not criticisms of mine toward hockey as it's personally my favorite sport).

Archived