[OT] World Cup

Guest Sloth

England got spanked and the US lost to a team that scored their only non-penalty kick goals against them. Maybe I wasn't too far off in questioning the quality of the group the US was in. Just maybe. :rolleyes:

Never said you were. I knew from the draw that anything other than advancement should result in the immediate firing of Bradley, and I thought the US had a very good chance of winning the group. It was a fortunate draw and a fortunate bracket. Too bad about yesterday.

But don't take away from what Germany did today--they simply looked amazing (as they did in their first game).

Guest Sloth

England got spanked and the US lost to a team that scored their only non-penalty kick goals against them. Maybe I wasn't too far off in questioning the quality of the group the US was in. Just maybe. :rolleyes:

Soccer is like any other sport. On any given day, any team can win. England is a VERY good team, and they got screwed today. If you watched the game, I'm sure you didn't, and saw the goal that was never given, you would know the outcome of the game could've been far different. England was down 2-0 and they rallied with 2 quick goals, but one of them was not given. Watch the replay and you'll know what I'm talking about. Had it been 2-2, England wouldn't have had to play as agressive as they did. The game would've been completely different, and it would've been much closer.

Also, Germany, the team that "spanked" England, struggled with Ghana. They beat Ghana 1-0 in a rather must win game. Don't try to bash Team USA. Our country is ranked 14th in the world, and that is out of 199 FIFA recognized countries! You can't put down USA soccer.

As a side note, France, easily one of the best, finished dead last in the WEAKEST group. They lost to South Africa! So don't try to bash Team USA or the group they were in.

Soccer is a great game to play, especially for kids. It is relatively safe and cheap. But as a spectator sport it is worse then baseball, especially when one team plays kill the ball. Sorry, many of the games have just boring. The one redeeming factor is like baseball it is fun to go see in person, but not for the game so much as the atmosphere. The difference is baseball is fun to watch in the playoffs, whereas Soccer is still boring...

Hockey on the other hand is a great game to watch in person, not matter when and hockey players are a different breed. Saw a guy tryout for the Whalers this weekend and the first day he cut the bridge of his nose and had a concussion. He came back the next day of the tryouts still experience symptoms and couldn't be talked off the ice. He seem to play better too. Still the trainer and others were pretty worried about him....

I don't know if he made the team, but it was fun to watch these guys hustle with their livelihoods on the line. Hmmm, maybe the Sabres should have one of these tryouts this fall.

you guys who love hard-checking hockey...please enjoy (after lowering the douchey music):

how FRIKKING SOCCER is the "popular" sport i will never understand...

many of those hits were illegal. If you play the game, that's not the type of play you want to promote. Just my opinion....

I am curious though, do you play? If so, where?

if you guys are all determined to get a hard-on for "international" sports, i advise you to subscribe to fox soccer plus- not for the awful boring soccer, but for the test rugby. the tri-nations starts in two weeks, and i'm pretty sure none of the games will wind up 1-1.

I assume you're talking about Rugby Union (the variant most used in international rugby), which is by far the less interesting rugby variant. Rugby League is way faster pace with more scoring, and I think better. :)

I know exactly how the game of rugby was invented. There was a futbol match being played and one of the players got completely frustrated with all of the kicking. He finally just picked up the ball and started running with it. The other team tackled him to get the ball back, but he tossed it back to a team mate, who carried it into the goal. Poof - rugby. :blink:

The USA will always be a decent soccer team but will never be an elite squad. We get out of our group then lose to the real teams. Every four years we say we are on the verge and every 4 years the result is pretty much the same. Meanwhile we can all stop caring about soccer until 2014.

PTR

The USA will always be a decent soccer team but will never be an elite squad. We get out of our group then lose to the real teams. Every four years we say we are on the verge and every 4 years the result is pretty much the same. Meanwhile we can all stop caring about soccer until 2014.

PTR

we are catching up to the rest of the world. This team was better than the 06 team, and the 14 team will be better than this one. We have more and more players getting experience in the top leagues overseas. If Davies was up front and onyewu was healthy we had a real shot this year. I think Bradley(coach, not player) did a bad job managing this team. We should have gone further, I put the blame squarely on him.

PTR

hey ptr im really glad that you always put ptr at the end of your post because if you didnt, i wouldnt know who was posting.

many of those hits were illegal. If you play the game, that's not the type of play you want to promote. Just my opinion....

I am curious though, do you play? If so, where?

i know they were. just trying to get "hockey fan's" attention. a lot of'em made me cringe.

not i cannot play rugby as i only have one good knee. i had to give up all competitive sports in 2005 and it has created a real void in my life. but that was also the year i took a vacation to nz and got hooked on rugby as a spectator sport. i just love it.

I assume you're talking about Rugby Union (the variant most used in international rugby), which is by far the less interesting rugby variant. Rugby League is way faster pace with more scoring, and I think better. :)

BLEAGH.

no i like union. i think league is silly. the fish flop guys do when they get tackled is just absurd. it reminds me of soccer!

hey ptr im really glad that you always put ptr at the end of your post because if you didnt, i wouldnt know who was posting.

It's a signature. Like "05-06 was the year". Except I type mine out and you don't. I've done this since 1997 (at what used to be the D&C Bills board) so I see no reason to stop now. Sorry it bugs you.

PTR

It's a signature. Like "05-06 was the year". Except I type mine out and you don't. I've done this since 1997 (at what used to be the D&C Bills board) so I see no reason to stop now. Sorry it bugs you.

PTR

haha it doesnt bug me i just thinks its dumb that 1. your signature is your display name and 2. it seems conceided that you have to write your name at the end of everyone of your posts.

Thinking about Suarez's red card yesterday and the morality of it all. The best analogy I can come up with is this: It's the last play of an NFL game, the go-ahead touchdown pass is in the air, and the only way the cornerback can stop the score is to commit pass interference in the end zone, giving the offense an untimed down at the 1-yard-line to try to score (and the defense one more opportunity to try to stop it). I think I want my team's cornerback to take that penalty every time. Anyone see what Suarez did as more severely wrong than that?

Thinking about Suarez's red card yesterday and the morality of it all. The best analogy I can come up with is this: It's the last play of an NFL game, the go-ahead touchdown pass is in the air, and the only way the cornerback can stop the score is to commit pass interference in the end zone, giving the offense an untimed down at the 1-yard-line to try to score (and the defense one more opportunity to try to stop it). I think I want my team's cornerback to take that penalty every time. Anyone see what Suarez did as more severely wrong than that?

And didn't it work?

Guest Sloth

I hate the sport of basketball, but they do have a goaltending rule, which is something I respect and support. Ghana should've been awarded a goal, not a chance at scoring one on the penalty kick. The ball was clearly going in and the Uragauyan clearly kept the ball out intentionally. Ghana should've been awarded the goal, and they should be playing the Netherlands in the semi-finals. I am furious with the rule FIFA has in place. Even though the odds are slim, it clearly gives all players the right to protect their goal. And I'm sure players will continue to do that in the future until FIFA makes a change on their rules. Uragauy should not be in the semi's, and I hope they know that. I'll be pulling for the Netherlands 110% in their game against Uragauy. It should be Ghana...

It did work, actually. That's why the world press are debating whether the handball was ok or not from a sportsmanship perspective.

I'm torn by this as well. But then I always come back to this, the game usually works out the errors in the rules. Meaning, any team that only shoots 50% on free kicks probably doesn't deserve to move on. Ghana missed three out of six. How does that happen at that level?

I'm torn by this as well. But then I always come back to this, the game usually works out the errors in the rules. Meaning, any team that only shoots 50% on free kicks probably doesn't deserve to move on. Ghana missed three out of six. How does that happen at that level?

It just happens. Which is why I'd let my cornerback give the offense an untimed down at the 1 (see above).

Archived