Rammer to be named head coach in Atlanta

nfreeman

Check it out.

For those Sabres fans of a certain age, this is great news. Craig Ramsay was one of the Sabres' all-time greats. He played 776 games in a row, which is something like #3 all-time. He was one of the best 2-way players in the NHL for a solid 10 years -- a great penalty killer who also scored 20+ goals 8 consecutive years.

He's been an assistant coach forever and an interim head coach a few times, but never gotten a real shot at it until now (and, fittingly, it was Rick Dudley, another old-time Sabres great, who hired him).

I think he's gonna do a great job.

Check it out.

For those Sabres fans of a certain age, this is great news. Craig Ramsay was one of the Sabres' all-time greats. He played 776 games in a row, which is something like #3 all-time. He was one of the best 2-way players in the NHL for a solid 10 years -- a great penalty killer who also scored 20+ goals 8 consecutive years.

He's been an assistant coach forever and an interim head coach a few times, but never gotten a real shot at it until now (and, fittingly, it was Rick Dudley, another old-time Sabres great, who hired him).

I think he's gonna do a great job.

I agree. Craig Ramsay was a great player. He was very low key, but he understood how to play the game. A great penalty killer who knew how to position himself properly.

The Sabres could use a player like Ramsay today. It's almost impossible to find smart players like him anymore.

Congrats to a real Sabre all time great. :thumbsup:

On a side note, I was surprised to see Rick Dudley's name again. I have not heard a word about the guy in almost 20 years. I guess he just worked behind the scenes in places. He looks to be doing a good job, hiring a fine guy for coach and adding some real vertran talent to his line up there with the Chicago trade

Congrats to a real Sabre all time great. :thumbsup:

On a side note, I was surprised to see Rick Dudley's name again. I have not heard a word about the guy in almost 20 years. I guess he just worked behind the scenes in places. He looks to be doing a good job, hiring a fine guy for coach and adding some real vertran talent to his line up there with the Chicago trade

Dudley was with Chicago for the last 5 years and was credited with a lot of their success. Before that he was GM with Florida were he had some success.

He is not a guy that gets a long great with his superiors so he tends to wear out his welcome.

On a side note, he has little regard for Quinn and Golisano.

Dudley was with Chicago for the last 5 years and was credited with a lot of their success. Before that he was GM with Florida were he had some success.

He is not a guy that gets a long great with his superiors so he tends to wear out his welcome.

On a side note, he has little regard for Quinn and Golisano.

And now he just gave a major favor to his old team in Chicago. I don't get that trade at all.

And now he just gave a major favor to his old team in Chicago. I don't get that trade at all.

I think it depends on what you think Buf's potential is. There are those that think that he could develop into an elite defenseman if out back there.

Aliu hasn't showed much and I don't know much about him but was told he was the best player at their prospect camp last year.

I think it depends on what you think Buf's potential is. There are those that think that he could develop into an elite defenseman if out back there.

Aliu hasn't showed much and I don't know much about him but was told he was the best player at their prospect camp last year.

Aliu was in the ECHL for part of the year this year. That can't bode too well for him. Anyway, they may have gotten a good return, but they paid entirely too much.

That's a name I haven't heard in a little while now. What's he been up to?

He was the head coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs 2005-2009 and got them their first franchise Calder Cup in 2006-07. Spent some time as an assistant coach for Montreal in 08-09 after Gainey fired Guy. I think he's coaching the Wolves in the AHL now.

Has Rick Dudley chosen the right man for the job?

Look at the muscle Dudley has now in Atlanta: Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager and Akim Aliu joining Eric Boulton. Presumably, Dudley wants to bring smashmouth hockey to Georgia. Has Ramsay ever coached the kind of team Dudley has put together?

Has Rick Dudley chosen the right man for the job?

Look at the muscle Dudley has now in Atlanta: Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager and Akim Aliu joining Eric Boulton. Presumably, Dudley wants to bring smashmouth hockey to Georgia. Has Ramsay ever coached the kind of team Dudley has put together?

Word of the street is Ramsay wants an up-tempo team. I doubt they re-sign Boulton.

Word of the street is Ramsay wants an up-tempo team. I doubt they re-sign Boulton.

Has Ramsay spoken to Dudley? It certainly does not - at this point - seem that Dudley is putting together an up-tempo team.

• 5 months later...

Don't look now, but Rammer's gotten Atlanta, despite the worst home crowd in the NHL, to wins in 8 out of 9 and 6 in a row at home. They've recently beaten Washington twice, Montreal, Boston, Detroit and Nashville.

Buttfuglyan is for reals,

yo.

Here's a pretty good article about him: linkage

Ramsay suffered from ulcers. He was just about to begin his NHL career with the Buffalo Sabres in 1971, when he underwent his first stomach surgery. "I didn't even tell the Sabres," Ramsay confessed. He endured another operation a decade later, but the condition worsened in 1993 when he had to be rushed to the hospital on Friday, Aug. 13 because he was bleeding to death. He needed two surgeries over the next 10 days, which resulted in the removal of his stomach and his esophagus being connected directly to his small intestine.

He has to watch what he eats and keeping his weight down is not the problem, keeping his weight up is the challenge. Ramsay also doesn't have a gallbladder, had his appendix removed and successfully fended off prostate cancer five years ago next month. Remarkably, he keeps fit by running stairs on most game days and for variety also rides a stationary bike or jogs on a treadmill.

In other words, he's about 50 times tougher than any forward currently on the Sabres.

Archived