Peter Laviolette

26CornerBlitz

Says that Laviolette is a good coach who (1) brought together a Philly team that was disjointed and got hot goaltending at the last minute, and (2) got damned lucky the day that the Sabres started 4 AHLers at the blueline.

I'll never think that Carolina would have beaten a healthy Sabres team.

I still will think that Laviolette is a pretty good coach.

Says that Laviolette is a good coach who (1) brought together a Philly team that was disjointed and got hot goaltending at the last minute, and (2) got damned lucky the day that the Sabres started 4 AHLers at the blueline.

I'll never think that Carolina would have beaten a healthy Sabres team.

I still will think that Laviolette is a pretty good coach.

What eleven said,exactly.

Poor Lindy, he just can't catch a break, can he?

I don't buy it. Never have... And the Sabre were NOT a lock for the SC had they just got by Carolina. Laviolette was doing a fine job before we were down to two starters on D. I never blamed the loss on those injuries anyway.

I don't buy it. Never have... And the Sabre were NOT a lock for the SC had they just got by Carolina. Laviolette was doing a fine job before we were down to two starters on D. I never blamed the loss on those injuries anyway.

This.

The Oilers took Carolina to 7 games, just like a certain other team, and would've won the whole damn thing had it not been for their game 1 meltdown after Roloson was hurt.

To say the Sabres would've buried them, as some posters seem to think, is just plain foolish.

Didn't say that.

And what do we say if he loses?

I know what I'll say, he figured out a way to break through the neutral zone against the Bruins when the Sabres couldn't.

A Flyer would be skating the puck out of his own zone and right when he was at his own blue line, he would fire it all the way down the ice. I said to myself, "Self, what is he doing? That's icing." The puck was either on net, thereby negating icing, or the winger was able to beat the D to the puck, and it wasn't just hustle. It was by design. Because Boston's D was up so close to cut of the pass to the wingers rushing up the boards, the winger was in a better position to reach the puck first. They were able change what end the game was play in very quickly. They did this several times in each of the four consecutive wins and it was brilliant.

Please. Look at the subpar talent of the Sabres forwards, then compare to the Flyers. Briere was playing on their 3rd line for most of the season. He would clearly be our best. Look at their depth. Then look at our lack of it. Then look at the veterans Philly has compared to ours. Their vets = the likes of Chris Pronger and Simon Gagne. Our vets = Pominville and Roy. Who would you like to go to battle with. The Sabres OVERACHIEVED this year.

TIME FOR DARCY TO SIGN SOME FREE AGENT VETS, ROLE PLAYERS ETC ET ALL.... :wallbash:

This is the same coach who missed the playoffs consecutive years after winning the Cup right?

Sorry, I couldn't concentrate on the question. I was focusing on the words "after winning the Cup".

I know what I'll say, he figured out a way to break through the neutral zone against the Bruins when the Sabres couldn't.

A Flyer would be skating the puck out of his own zone and right when he was at his own blue line, he would fire it all the way down the ice. I said to myself, "Self, what is he doing? That's icing." The puck was either on net, thereby negating icing, or the winger was able to beat the D to the puck, and it wasn't just hustle. It was by design. Because Boston's D was up so close to cut of the pass to the wingers rushing up the boards, the winger was in a better position to reach the puck first. They were able change what end the game was play in very quickly. They did this several times in each of the four consecutive wins and it was brilliant.

I hadn't noticed that, specifically, but I did notice that Pronger takes a lot of slap shots directly on net from just outside his own blue line. He always hits the net. That's a great trap-buster, too! Great find, Swamp!

Please. Look at the subpar talent of the Sabres forwards, then compare to the Flyers. Briere was playing on their 3rd line for most of the season. He would clearly be our best. Look at their depth. Then look at our lack of it. Then look at the veterans Philly has compared to ours. Their vets = the likes of Chris Pronger and Simon Gagne. Our vets = Pominville and Roy. Who would you like to go to battle with. The Sabres OVERACHIEVED this year.

TIME FOR DARCY TO SIGN SOME FREE AGENT VETS, ROLE PLAYERS ETC ET ALL.... :wallbash:

I LOVE Hartnell's game, too. Talk about dirty and gritty! Gimme a coupla him anyday!

Throwing the puck on net from the other side of center ice is nothing new and certainly not a revelation in terms of strategy.Raymond Bourque made a career of this.The bruins were always credited with about 10 more shots on net average per game in those days.While this padded the shots on net stats it was by no means a scoring chance.It would be a good trap buster unless you have someone like Martin Brodeur playing net to get the puck to his D or out.

Throwing the puck on net from the other side of center ice is nothing new and certainly not a revelation in terms of strategy.Raymond Bourque made a career of this.The bruins were always credited with about 10 more shots on net average per game in those days.While this padded the shots on net stats it was by no means a scoring chance.It would be a good trap buster unless you have someone like Martin Brodeur playing net to get the puck to his D or out.

It wasn't just from the other side of the red line. You're right. That is nothing new. But they were throwing it on net from the other side of their own blue line, and that you don't see all the time if at all.

Archived