Briere Envy

Marvelo

The other half of the problem with looking at that thread is that, in several ways, it seems that Derek Roy has regressed since the 2007-08 season.

I was shocked at Roy's lack of involvement in the Boston series. After Vanek went down, he was nothing. To put the big load on the shoulders of these little guys (Roy, Connolly) is pure stupidity on the part of management. You need big guys as the leaders. Big guys run little guys over. When Cesar Milan goes running with his dogs in the mountains, the little dogs get tired and so the big dogs carry them. That's how it is. You're never going to have a small, fast team win the Cup unless all the cards fall the right way. To win the cup, you have to smash a fly with a hammer, if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2/3 of the brat pack , Vanek and Roy, and quite a few more, are sick of Ruff and his repressive system, Regier's cheapness and seeming lack of organization and Golisano's penny pinching ways. I know I am. They might be sick of the city of Buffalo too, who knows. I wouldn't blame them. You might have to be a native to really understand and love Buffalo. I think everyone else wants out. Downtown is depressing.

This organization has usually had great parts but the fatal flaw is the ownership and management, who have always stopped short out of frugality and never built it up to a point where they'd have a championship team. Despite these shortcomings, Buffalo's got the most passionate (and gullible) fans in the league. We fall for the act every time and come back for more.

Posted this in the other thread, might as well throw it in here too:

Briere has been pretty hot for Philly the past few games, so here's a little stat sheet I came up with. Rather interesting:

Danny Briere In the Past 5 Years: Reached the playoffs All 5 years, 4 Eastern Conference Finals appearances, 30 Playoff Goals (10GWG), 43 Playoff Assists. That's 73 Playoff Points since the lock out. The real killer stat here is that 30% of his goals are GAME WINNERS. Ugh.

Not many other players are up there in terms of point production. I ran Zetterberg's numbers. He's at 86 playoff points in the past 5 years:

43 goals (7GWG), 43 Assists. Total of 86 playoff points.

The failure to lock up Briere was so awful. Not only did he have crazy skills, but he was every bit as clutch as Drury. And he actually appeared to want to stay in Buffalo. Had he been signed, Darcy might have let Vanek go get overpaid in Edmonton in exchange for four 1st rounders (high 1st rounders, because the Oilers are hopeless). Oh, and the Sabres would still have a legitimate captain who can take over a game when needed. And make Pomminstein and Hecht look good.

Darcy has made some questionable moves in the past, but most of them were at least explainable. I think we can all agree that letting Drury and Campbell go get overpaid elsewhere was probably the smart move, and most of the trades that didn't pan out looked reasonable enough when they happened. His draft record has been decent. But not giving Briere a square deal was unbelievably stupid, and showed how far behind Darcy was in adapting to the new NHL contract environment. At that time, he was letting every other team dictate the circumstances of his players' fates.

And make Pominville and Hecht look good.

I know people don't like to admit it, but those two can look very good without Briere. Case in point, in 2007-08, they both had career years in many statistical categories. Pominville's point production has been about the same over the last two years as it was when Danny was here and, setting aside last year's abomination, Hecht has had similar production. With a decent center - be it Briere, Connolly, or probably Ennis next year - they make a pretty good line.

I think we can all agree that letting Drury ... go get overpaid elsewhere was probably the smart move

Darcy didn't let Drury go get overpaid. They had a contract, Golisano tried to insert his philosophy on how things should work (i.e., one-year deals, which would be fine if the 29 other teams agreed), and he ended up leaving despite the Sabres' late offer to match.

But not giving Briere a square deal was unbelievably stupid, and showed how far behind Darcy was in adapting to the new NHL contract environment. At that time, he was letting every other team dictate the circumstances of his players' fates.

It wasn't about being behind the times. They made a conscious decision that they could only sign one 30+ year old centerman with the youth they had coming up and chose Drury. They never really tried to keep Danny.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2/3 of the brat pack , Vanek and Roy, and quite a few more, are sick of Ruff and his repressive system, Regier's cheapness and seeming lack of organization and Golisano's penny pinching ways.

You do realize the sabres have operated within a couple million of the cap for several seasons. If you want to argue they have spent their money poorly, I'm all ears but it's a complete falllacy to simply state they are cheap.

You do realize the sabres have operated within a couple million of the cap for several seasons. If you want to argue they have spent their money poorly, I'm all ears but it's a complete falllacy to simply state they are cheap.

Not necessarily. I'm not quite sure what the actual bank roll is for the management. Are those numbers public?

Let's recall that our nearly our entire scouting department is handled via VHS tapes now. Not arguing with the results though...We did land Myers and Ennis.

Wouldn't it be interesting, though, to compare what teams spend on management, scouting, staff, player development, facilities, medical and training staff, coaches, etc.?

Wouldn't it be interesting, though, to compare what teams spend on management, scouting, staff, player development, facilities, medical and training staff, coaches, etc.?

Point taken. I fairly certain the aforementioned poster was speaking of payroll.

Not necessarily. I'm not quite sure what the actual bank roll is for the management. Are those numbers public?

Let's recall that our nearly our entire scouting department is handled via VHS tapes now. Not arguing with the results though...We did land Myers and Ennis.

This is the biggest fallacy going. They use tapes to narrow done candidates and eliminate some of the travel. They still personally scout everyone they draft or consider drafting.

Buffalo's tightwad ways are pretty well known throughout the league. It's a reputation. The first case I remember was the Mike Peca affair. They couldn't come to terms and that probably cost Buffalo the cup. IMO that's why Hasek skated off the ice like he did. The Sabres expected him to do everything himself and he was done. When's the last time you remember Regier overpaying, except for one player on the team, like when the Oilers forced his hand with Vanek? Here's more:

http://www.letsgosabres.com/pressbox/fullstory.php?newsid=10395

Buffalo's tightwad ways are pretty well known throughout the league. It's a reputation. The first case I remember was the Mike Peca affair. They couldn't come to terms and that probably cost Buffalo the cup. IMO that's why Hasek skated off the ice like he did. The Sabres expected him to do everything himself and he was done. When's the last time you remember Regier overpaying, except for one player on the team, like when the Oilers forced his hand with Vanek? Here's more:

http://www.letsgosabres.com/pressbox/fullstory.php?newsid=10395

That is a point well taken and its why the whole video scouting thing is mis-represented by a lot of people. The fact is, video scouting is actually being partially used by several other teams as well.

Back to the point, it is the reputation that they struggle to overcome. Reiger did overpay for Hecht, Pominville and Gaustad yet their reputation persists.

Back to the point, it is the reputation that they struggle to overcome. Reiger did overpay for Hecht, Pominville and Gaustad yet their reputation persists.

And I don't believe that he needs to overpay; just paying actual market value when that value is high says something. As such, you could add Miller's big contract to the list. One could also argue that Connolly was overpaid given his injury history. In fact, looking at the list, it's hard to find one contract that's underpaid. Roy's was, but he's regressed a bit and his salary has gone up (obviously, the cap hit is constant.)

What Regier hasn't done is put out big money for a free agent. He's (over)spent on his own homegrown talent, but not on someone else's.

And I don't believe that he needs to overpay; just paying actual market value when that value is high says something. As such, you could add Miller's big contract to the list. One could also argue that Connolly was overpaid given his injury history. In fact, looking at the list, it's hard to find one contract that's underpaid. Roy's was, but he's regressed a bit and his salary has gone up (obviously, the cap hit is constant.)

What Regier hasn't done is put out big money for a free agent. He's (over)spent on his own homegrown talent, but not on someone else's.

And as much as I harp on him, I don't think there was a deal out there the last couple of years that I would have wanted him to do or thought the team was in a position to do. This year is different, he needs to bring in a top 6 player either through trade or free agency.

And as much as I harp on him, I don't think there was a deal out there the last couple of years that I would have wanted him to do or thought the team was in a position to do. This year is different, he needs to bring in a top 6 player either through trade or free agency.

Word T-dub.

I'm happy for Briere. He was my favorite while he was in Buffalo and it's nice seeing him have success, even though i hate his team and their fan base. I think there is a lot the Sabres miss that Briere has. They miss many things from Drury as well. Sabres have good hockey players on our roster but they don't have the hearts that Drury or Briere have, and they don't have the talent level those two have. Whenever Briere has the puck, something can happen. Briere seems magical. Just like he did with us. When he's the ice, keep your head up, sit on the edge, because something may happen. With the Sabres, even on the PPs there is a feeling that nothing will happen. It's like a dead end.

I was always a keep Danny fan instead of Drury, and i know many fans are now saying we shoulda kept Briere, but if the NYR make the playoffs next year or in two years, i wouldn't be too surprised if Drury also has a big playoffs. It's just the type of players they are.

I'm happy for Briere. He was my favorite while he was in Buffalo and it's nice seeing him have success, even though i hate his team and their fan base. I think there is a lot the Sabres miss that Briere has. They miss many things from Drury as well. Sabres have good hockey players on our roster but they don't have the hearts that Drury or Briere have, and they don't have the talent level those two have. Whenever Briere has the puck, something can happen. Briere seems magical. Just like he did with us. When he's the ice, keep your head up, sit on the edge, because something may happen. With the Sabres, even on the PPs there is a feeling that nothing will happen. It's like a dead end.

I was always a keep Danny fan instead of Drury, and i know many fans are now saying we shoulda kept Briere, but if the NYR make the playoffs next year or in two years, i wouldn't be too surprised if Drury also has a big playoffs. It's just the type of players they are.

I just wanted to throw this out there since we are reliving the past. Wouldn't this years draft be the 4th of the 4 1st round picks the Sabres would have gotten from Edmonton? I know it unlikely that the Oilers/Sabres would still be picking first. If they did? What a different outlook we would have today. It's not like keeping Vanek over the past three seasons has amounted to anything.

I just wanted to throw this out there since we are reliving the past. Wouldn't this years draft be the 4th of the 4 1st round picks the Sabres would have gotten from Edmonton? I know it unlikely that the Oilers/Sabres would still be picking first. If they did? What a different outlook we would have today. It's not like keeping Vanek over the past three seasons has amounted to anything.

True. I think any time you are to get 4 first round picks, it has to be tough to say no. I think they expected more out of Vanek and rightfully so, and also i think the style of the league 4 years ago benefited Vanek more then it does now. I'd argue that they failed to give Vanek more support rather then Vanek not living up to his deal. We lost Drury and Briere, who are like worth $15 million annually or something, and they were replaced by what? Stafford and MacArthur?

Also, who knows how good Edmonton would have been with Vanek? I'm not saying deep playoff team, or even a playoff team, but, bottom 10? I just don't know...

Another huge game for Briere last night, in the biggest Flyers game in 13 years -- 1 goal, 2 pts., 2nd-most ice time among Flyer forwards. He was also right on top of the play on Hartnell's goal. He's 2nd in the NHL in playoff scoring (3 pts behind Toews) and 2nd in goals (2 behind Cammaleri).

I know it's ancient history, but until the Sabres have a forward who delivers in crunch time, I will ask: isn't it great that the Sabres decided to pay $5.3MM per year to Pommer instead of $5MM to Briere?

Another huge game for Briere last night, in the biggest Flyers game in 13 years -- 1 goal, 2 pts., 2nd-most ice time among Flyer forwards. He was also right on top of the play on Hartnell's goal. He's 2nd in the NHL in playoff scoring (3 pts behind Toews) and 2nd in goals (2 behind Cammaleri).

I know it's ancient history, but until the Sabres have a forward who delivers in crunch time, I will ask: isn't it great that the Sabres decided to pay $5.3MM per year to Pommer instead of $5MM to Briere?

If I just bite this curb, would you be kind enough to step on the back of my head?

Oh wait... You just did! :wallbash:

Darcy for GM for life!!

Oh wait... He IS!!! :wallbash:

Archived