Briere Envy

Marvelo

I'll take a younger Roy at this point. Roy has his issues but he has one thing going for him Briere does not, youth and time. Roy's biggest problem is lack of maturity. If that clicks in and he grows up a bit the kid can accomplish a lot.

I will agree Briere played well for the Flyers especially in the playoffs. That said, placing a Derrick Roy amongst a Gagne, Richards, Carter, Hartnel and Pronger I would guess his maturity would be accelerated and could produce just as well as Briere has. Not to mention the ability to play in all facets of the game.

Roy -- career playoff stats -- 40 GP, 7-17-24

Briere -- this playoff season -- 23 GP, 12-18-30

Roy is 27. Briere is 32. Who would you rather have for the next 5 years?

It's not even close.

Roy -- career playoff stats -- 40 GP, 7-17-24

Briere -- this playoff season -- 23 GP, 12-18-30

Roy is 27. Briere is 32. Who would you rather have for the next 5 years?

It's not even close.

A 27 year old Roy at a fraction of the cost, your right it's not even close. What were Briere's playoff stats when he was 27?

A 27 year old Roy at a fraction of the cost, your right it's not even close. What were Briere's playoff stats when he was 27?

That "fraction" is 4/6.5.

The "fraction" of Roy's playoff production relative to Briere's this year: 2/30.

The "fraction" of Roy's playoff goals relative to Briere's this year: 0/12.

When he was 27, Briere had not yet been on a playoff team, having been stuck in Phoenix and then the bankruptcy-era Sabres. Roy at 27 has been on 3 playoff teams and his production has gotten worse each time, to the point where he completely disappeared this year.

It is nothing other than absurd to prefer Roy to Briere at this point, especially for someone who continually decries the Sabres "building for the future" mantra.

When he was 27, Briere had not yet been on a playoff team, having been stuck in Phoenix and then the bankruptcy-era Sabres. Roy at 27 has been on 3 playoff teams and his production has gotten worse each time, to the point where he completely disappeared this year.

By 27, Danny had played in 6 NHL playoff games with Phoenix. He had 2G, 1A.

So, I guess you could say ...

The "fraction" of Roy's playoff production at 27 to Briere's at 27: 24/3.

The "fraction" of Roy's playoff goals at 27 to Briere's at 27: 7/2.

:nana:

By 27, Danny had played in 6 NHL playoff games with Phoenix. He had 2G, 1A.

So, I guess you could say ...

The "fraction" of Roy's playoff production at 27 to Briere's at 27: 24/3.

The "fraction" of Roy's playoff goals at 27 to Briere's at 27: 7/2.

:nana:

Ooooooooohhh. You got me. Of course, this means I'll be watching you. Payback is coming (as Maximus would say, "in this life or the next").

DeLuca is still out to lunch on this point though.

That "fraction" is 4/6.5.

The "fraction" of Roy's playoff production relative to Briere's this year: 2/30.

The "fraction" of Roy's playoff goals relative to Briere's this year: 0/12.

It is nothing other than absurd to prefer Roy to Briere at this point, especially for someone who continually decries the Sabres "building for the future" mantra.

Danny Briere was playing himself out of the league when the 'Yotes dumped him for Gratton. Briere had a nice playoffs but he is far down the list of leaders on that Flyers team. Briere on this Sabres team doesn't make them a instant contender and his $6.5 million is crippling to a team like the Sabres. You have a younger just as offensively productive Roy with a more complete game. I'm not going to discount Roy because he doesn't play with Gagne, Richards, Carter and Hartnell. I'm not happy with Roy's lack of maturity just as everyone else is. If Roy does mature than his playoff production will surpass Briere just as his regular season production has. And he plays defense. Which at $4 million will make him far more valuable than Briere on several levels.

Danny Briere was playing himself out of the league when the 'Yotes dumped him for Gratton. Briere had a nice playoffs but he is far down the list of leaders on that Flyers team. Briere on this Sabres team doesn't make them a instant contender and his $6.5 million is crippling to a team like the Sabres. You have a younger just as offensively productive Roy with a more complete game. I'm not going to discount Roy because he doesn't play with Gagne, Richards, Carter and Hartnell. I'm not happy with Roy's lack of maturity just as everyone else is. If Roy does mature than his playoff production will surpass Briere just as his regular season production has. And he plays defense. Which at $4 million will make him far more valuable than Briere on several levels.

He's not "just as offensively productive" WHEN IT COUNTS. Not even close. That's the whole point.

It's not immaturity -- Kane appears to be plenty immature, but he also shows up in the playoffs. It's focus, determination, guts, confidence, sacrifice...all the attributes that the co-captains had in spades but Roy, TC, Pommer and Stafford utterly lack.

And you can pretend Briere isn't important to the Flyers, and that his productivity was just because of the presence of the other guys, but he delivers EVERY year in the playoffs, including when he was on the Sabres, and was more important to the Flyers this year than everyone you listed other than Richards.

Finally, it obviously can't be proven, but substitute Briere for Roy on the Sabres this year and IMHO they absolutely would've beaten Boston in the 1st round.

briere is more skilled offensively than roy, but roy is a better hockey player overall. that said i think i would rather have briere then roy cause that offense he created was just unmatched.

Yet Roy outproduces him offensively with far inferior talent around him?

A "better hockey player" does not produce zero goals and 1 assist in a 6-game playoff series.

DeLuca -- how long are you going to pretend that Roy "outproduces" Briere and ignore a little thing called the PLAYOFFS?

A "better hockey player" does not produce zero goals and 1 assist in a 6-game playoff series.

DeLuca -- how long are you going to pretend that Roy "outproduces" Briere and ignore a little thing called the PLAYOFFS?

I've given Briere credit for his performance in the Playoffs. The question is how long are you going to pretend that Briere didn't have far superior talent around him? Briere was able to put together some very nice offensive numbers up in the playoffs this year, unlike Roy that is his only responsibility. And how long are you going to pretend that Roy isn't just 27 years old and to date has surpassed Briere at the same stage of his career. In five years if Roy hasn't matured and hasn't put together some really good offensive playoff number, by the way scoring 7 goal - 17 assists in 40 playoff games while being a +12 isn't too bad for a younger player, then we can discuss Briere being the better option. Right now, knowing where this team is talent wise and Roy's contract? Briere would be just a one dimensional toy the Sabres can't afford at $6.5 million.

its not all about scoring points. what about backchecking? penalty killing? how about hustling when you dont have the puck? and roy mixes it up with people and tries to hit. did briere do any of that?

its not all about scoring points. what about backchecking? penalty killing? how about hustling when you dont have the puck? and roy mixes it up with people and tries to hit. did briere do any of that?

The funny thing is that if the Flyers goaltenders didn't play above their heads this conversation never takes place. No mention of Briere last summer when the Flyers lost in 6 games to the Pens.

Archived