Who will set it up more?

FearTheReaper

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will make a bigger impact on the rosters succes next season?

• Lindy Ruff
    • Darcy Regier

I'm thinking a little outside the box this morning.

Basically this poll is about estimating who will have the larger roll in altering this team for next year.

Who do you think has a greater chance of adjusting there philosophies, realizing mistakes and correcting them?

Will it be Darcy pulling unconventional moves in the offseason.

Will he become more aggressive? Will he take chances? Will he discard players?

Will he use mulitple weapons such as big trades, FA signings, and using draft pick for leverage? Will he grow a sack and remove "core" players?

Or do you think Lindy's potential adjustments will better the team?

Can he get the PP going? Can he utilze Vanek more effectivly? Can he set good fundations for the young guys to prosper on? Will he refine his offensive stragies?

I clearly voted for Ruff.

I have no faith in Regier. He has made such minor moves in years its pathetic. Yes he's grown this team from (??? :nana:) But he has done almost as little as possible when it comes to fixing mistakes that need to be adhered from beyond our club. Montador and Grier dont do it for me.

I have more faith in Ruff, because i think he

continued to improve this team, beyond the lack of help Darcy provides.

I voted for Darcy because, he is the biggest thing holding the team back. I think Lindy does great with what he has but he can only take it so far. Darcy has the biggest impact on this team.

Yes, that is very true

Darcy controls the look and makeup of the team, and has alot more control than Ruff. But Darcy also hasn't had very good years of activity recently. Which alters my faith with this man. Not to mention these absurd contracts, that he signed based on potential make trash like Pominville impossible to move. So the flexibility is a huge problem. Theres isn't much room to work with. Hes in a damn canyon of obsticles.

Darcy is going to have to do so much work to make anything happen. We will have almost no room against the cap after our RFA's. Kennedy is going to make at least 1.6 mil, Kaleta will be around 1.2 .

Point is there is no room, unless Hank and Toni go, which puts holes on the back end. And seeing on how the organization loves Shakira, there isn't another Dman with experience waiting within the pipeline.

Its a cluster fvk, theres no way it gets done this season. Regier is far from a genius of a GM. Other teams will have to take on our salaries, its not going to happen. I guarantee no one is going to take Connolly, Pommer or Stafford. Were looking at moving Roy or Vanek.

Vanek is part of the solution, not the problem. Moving Roy basically means relying on Connolly to come through, as the top man, again. Sorry Tim, :bag: .

Hechts's fat deal helps out alot. :wallbash:

I didn't much about trading and such the last time Darcy made a good trade(at the time) ,in the offseason, lmao in 2008 for Rivet. This time around i know what needs to fall into place. Unfortunatly its too much luck for us.

Hechts's fat deal helps out alot. :wallbash:

I didn't much about trading and such the last time Darcy made a good trade(at the time) ,in the offseason, lmao in 2008 for Rivet. This time around i know what needs to fall into place. Unfortunatly its too much luck for us.

Hecht only makes 3 mill next season, worthy IMO. When we got Rivet it was exactly what this team needed physically and mentally.

I had to vote Ruff. I know, I know he has to work with the players he's given but why do we assume he can't go to his GM partner/buddy there and tell him what you want or need.

Can we really assume Ruff has had no say at all in what type of players he wanted/needed for his system? And by the way how did that system work out for Portland this year in the playoff's ? How about that powerplay ? How about that goalie rotation ? How about that collapse circle(jerk) the wagons stuff in your own zone instead of just making the smart easy play and clearing the puck under pressure ? How can you not find a way to use a player like Torres when everyone including yourself states you need his style of play? And I haven't even touched his merit ice time system....

This is a no brainer to me; If everything stays the same as it appears, the biggest difference has to be Ruff here not Darcy !

Sorry Lindy no more Mulligans from this fan.

This summer lies on Darcy. He needs to bring new blood into the organization.

This was what everyone was hoping for the last two summers and what did we get? I have no reason to believe it will be any different this year. Stafford will be traded for a pick, Lydman and/or Tallinder will be let go. They will sign a defenseman(chances are he will be a budget guy who sucks in his own end) to help with the PP. A 4th line forward will be added to replace Mair or Ellis. Ennis and Weber will start the season as Sabres.

Welcome to another ho-hum offseason.

I think Lindy should have more of a say in who he gets. During the presser when they asked DR about Torres he was a lot of I looked at this I liked that. Lindy's system works but it's hard for players to grasp on to. I wouldn't make a bunch of changes but the ones they do make should be approved more by Lindy and who can play his system.

I guarantee no one is going to take Connolly, Pommer or Stafford. Were looking at moving Roy or Vanek.

You really think no one would want Tim Connolly for a year?

He almost had a point a game this season and was +10 for the year. And the Sabres were tied for 9th in the NHL in goal scoring. That means 20 NHL teams wish they had as much offense as we did this year.

Any competent GM could move him, and he's a better option for a lot of teams than signing Patrick Marleau or Ilya Kovalchuk to a 10 year contract. Especially if you can sell the idea that he was playing on a broken foot in the playoffs.

You really think no one would want Tim Connolly for a year?

He almost had a point a game this season and was +10 for the year. And the Sabres were tied for 9th in the NHL in goal scoring. That means 20 NHL teams wish they had as much offense as we did this year.

Any competent GM could move him, and he's a better option for a lot of teams than signing Patrick Marleau or Ilya Kovalchuk to a 10 year contract. Especially if you can sell the idea that he was playing on a broken foot in the playoffs.

Very good point.

Tim's play isn't what i feel deminishes his trade value. Its the 4.5 salary. How many teams want that on there pay roll? Columbus?

Hecht only makes 3 mill next season, worthy IMO. When we got Rivet it was exactly what this team needed physically and mentally.

Well, i meant his salary is a little much if hes not taking on top 6 duties. No doubt the Rivet deal was good at the time.

I think Lindy should have more of a say in who he gets. During the presser when they asked DR about Torres he was a lot of I looked at this I liked that. Lindy's system works but it's hard for players to grasp on to. I wouldn't make a bunch of changes but the ones they do make should be approved more by Lindy and who can play his system.

Then apparently it doesn't work?

Very good point.

Tim's play isn't what i feel deminishes his trade value. Its the 4.5 salary. How many teams want that on there pay roll? Columbus?

For one year? Probably a lot of them would. Compare Tim Connolly at $4.7M for one year to the amount of money and years you would have to commit to a free agent who could come in and give you similar offense.

Then apparently it doesn't work?

Every player wants to be a Kovalchuk. Stand around at the blueline while the rest of ur team fights the pressure, finally get the puck, go score. It's a defensive system, they need to play defensively and then be creative at the other end. Can u see a team of 3 Kovalchuk forwards? 10-9 games?

Every player wants to be a Kovalchuk. Stand around at the blueline while the rest of ur team fights the pressure, finally get the puck, go score. It's a defensive system, they need to play defensively and then be creative at the other end. Can u see a team of 3 Kovalchuk forwards? 10-9 games?

Exactly. When you play a system that depends on the forwards to play a major role in the defensive zone, you will be limiting the amount of offensive opportunities in a game. I think that's why Lindy alluded to being happy with 4 guys with 20 to 30 goals rather than 1 or 2 guys with 35-40 goals. I think it is a way of showing that forwards are concentrating more on playing well in the defensive end. Out of those 4 players, the lowest +/- was a +9.

While it's perfectly reasonable to play a defensive system when your best player is the goaltender, I think that makes it even more imperative to play well in power play situations. If the Sabres want to become a contender this has to become a point of emphasis because it is your best way to compensate for the lack of offensive opportunities due to the defensive-minded system.

To get back to your question, both Lindy and Darcy have to make changes in order to accomplish the goal of winning the cup. Lindy has to concentrate on revamping the power play, 17th in the league during the regular season just won't cut it and 0 for 16, I believe, in the playoffs certainly won't either. Darcy, the most crucial figure during the offseason, must bring in the necessary pieces to be effective on the PP.

If these players can't grasp Ruffs system (as some seem to think),they won't grasp any system.This is'nt exactly football we're talking about.Its shinny for christ sakes.Its really a simple game when you get down to it.Work your butt off,be defensively responsible and shoot the f@#%in puck at the net.The only confusing thing is Ruffs powerplay and why he can't get it to work.God knows he's had years to perfect it.

And yet Ryan had to pull off a career year for them to make the playoffs.

I'v said it before and I'll say it again - A defensive system where your goalie is that busy making saves on quality chances isn't a good one.

If these players can't grasp Ruffs system (as some seem to think),they won't grasp any system.This is'nt exactly football we're talking about.Its shinny for christ sakes.Its really a simple game when you get down to it.Work your butt off,be defensively responsible and shoot the f@#%in puck at the net.The only confusing thing is Ruffs powerplay and why he can't get it to work.God knows he's had years to perfect it.

Then you obviously missed Torres' first post game interview as a Sabre, where he said just the opposite (0 goals). In Columbus he said it was much simpler and all he had to do was skate (19 goals).

And yet Ryan had to pull off a career year for them to make the playoffs.

I'v said it before and I'll say it again - A defensive system where your goalie is that busy making saves on quality chances isn't a good one.

+1

You nailed it I do not undertsand why a lot of people don't also see this simple truth.

That many different players having that kind of regular breakdown in "The System" has to say something about the system, add Portlands failure with the system in playoffs as well and it seems pretty simple to me where the biggest change in this teams fortunes can come from.

I'm indifferent to your point.

To me the failure of the system is on the players.

This "system" Ruff uses isn't anything ground breaking. Generally a 1-2-2 low forecheck, and it calls upon body and stick positioning more than a physical attack on the other teams offense.

My question to you is, If Ruff's defensive system is his fault, then how do you explain the lack of offensive production withing his system?

Doesn't that fall on the players and Regier for keeping these players?

Lindy wants guys in the paint, and crashing the crease, shots from the wall and point, and lots of traffic in front. Sounds to me like a system suited for power forwards and offensive guys who want to win and have the heart to get it done.

Lindy tightened up our neutral zone play, and eliminated the dependancy on rush chances because trading rush chances is a sure fire way to get burned and expose the dmen.

Now after watching several other teams during the playoffs, especially Nashville and Vancouver, its clear to me that those teams have multiple paralells to our offensive style. Vancouver generates more a cycle form behind the net, but you get the point. Van gets it done. The Sedins aren't uncomparable to any of our guys, but Mason Raymond and Alexander Burrows are. And they are not elite, top of the league players. They create chances, and its under an offensive system that is similar to Lindys.

Now i think the problem with the Sabres system, is the fact that these top 6 guys do not want to score this way, nor will they are hard enough for long stretches to stick it out.

And you see this 90 percent of the time Roy touches the puck and another player isn't available for a pass / shot right away. He knows that if he throws it east or west, its coming back on a odd man rush. Does he also know Pominville isn't going to battle in the front of the net? Thats subject for debate.

The point is, these players failed us NOT Lindy Ruff.

Heres another thing to think of. How disapointed has Thomas Vanek been this season?

Both on his own play, and at certain times, the play of the team. Heres a guy that can really accel under this system. And he has to play with little kids! You dont think he knows TC, Roy, Pommers and Stafford's tendencies both on and off the ice? Do you think perhaps he senses the futility to grow up within these guys?

I think that is something to ponder on. Vanek is the star on this team. The only other player worthy of that title is Miller. Myers will be there very soon.

Never said the players didn't deserve their fair share of the blame, and anyone here knows I'm as sick of Regier as they get. But when push comes to shove, it falls on the coach to get the players ready.

Lindy deserves as much blame as as the players for the "system" not working.

And BTW, that system's name is "#30".

Also, is he ever going to learn to coach a power play? Most defensive-minded coaches know that to succeed you need to be good on the PP, becuase you generally rely less on 5 on 5 production.

Nobody gets a free pass in this case, least of all Lindy.

I'm indifferent to your point.

To me the failure of the system is on the players.

This "system" Ruff uses isn't anything ground breaking. Generally a 1-2-2 low forecheck, and it calls upon body and stick positioning more than a physical attack on the other teams offense.

My question to you is, If Ruff's defensive system is his fault, then how do you explain the lack of offensive production withing his system?

Doesn't that fall on the players and Regier for keeping these players?

Lindy wants guys in the paint, and crashing the crease, shots from the wall and point, and lots of traffic in front. Sounds to me like a system suited for power forwards and offensive guys who want to win and have the heart to get it done.

Lindy tightened up our neutral zone play, and eliminated the dependancy on rush chances because trading rush chances is a sure fire way to get burned and expose the dmen.

Now after watching several other teams during the playoffs, especially Nashville and Vancouver, its clear to me that those teams have multiple paralells to our offensive style. Vancouver generates more a cycle form behind the net, but you get the point. Van gets it done. The Sedins aren't uncomparable to any of our guys, but Mason Raymond and Alexander Burrows are. And they are not elite, top of the league players. They create chances, and its under an offensive system that is similar to Lindys.

Now i think the problem with the Sabres system, is the fact that these top 6 guys do not want to score this way, nor will they are hard enough for long stretches to stick it out.

And you see this 90 percent of the time Roy touches the puck and another player isn't available for a pass / shot right away. He knows that if he throws it east or west, its coming back on a odd man rush. Does he also know Pominville isn't going to battle in the front of the net? Thats subject for debate.

The point is, these players failed us NOT Lindy Ruff.

Heres another thing to think of. How disapointed has Thomas Vanek been this season?

Both on his own play, and at certain times, the play of the team. Heres a guy that can really accel under this system. And he has to play with little kids! You dont think he knows TC, Roy, Pommers and Stafford's tendencies both on and off the ice? Do you think perhaps he senses the futility to grow up within these guys?

I think that is something to ponder on. Vanek is the star on this team. The only other player worthy of that title is Miller. Myers will be there very soon.

This bolded part might be the only thing I agree with in this post. The rest is so inaccurate I don't know where to begin.

Archived