Who will set it up more?

FearTheReaper

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will make a bigger impact on the rosters succes next season?

• Lindy Ruff
    • Darcy Regier

+1

You nailed it I do not undertsand why a lot of people don't also see this simple truth.

That many different players having that kind of regular breakdown in "The System" has to say something about the system, add Portlands failure with the system in playoffs as well and it seems pretty simple to me where the biggest change in this teams fortunes can come from.

Probably because I have been pounding this point home all season. The Sabres got really lucky with the emergence of Myers. If not for Myers, the Sabres would have the worst defensive corp in the NHL.

I'm indifferent to your point.

To me the failure of the system is on the players.

This "system" Ruff uses isn't anything ground breaking. Generally a 1-2-2 low forecheck, and it calls upon body and stick positioning more than a physical attack on the other teams offense.

My question to you is, If Ruff's defensive system is his fault, then how do you explain the lack of offensive production withing his system?

Doesn't that fall on the players and Regier for keeping these players?

Lindy wants guys in the paint, and crashing the crease, shots from the wall and point, and lots of traffic in front. Sounds to me like a system suited for power forwards and offensive guys who want to win and have the heart to get it done.

Lindy tightened up our neutral zone play, and eliminated the dependancy on rush chances because trading rush chances is a sure fire way to get burned and expose the dmen.

Now after watching several other teams during the playoffs, especially Nashville and Vancouver, its clear to me that those teams have multiple paralells to our offensive style. Vancouver generates more a cycle form behind the net, but you get the point. Van gets it done. The Sedins aren't uncomparable to any of our guys, but Mason Raymond and Alexander Burrows are. And they are not elite, top of the league players. They create chances, and its under an offensive system that is similar to Lindys.

Now i think the problem with the Sabres system, is the fact that these top 6 guys do not want to score this way, nor will they are hard enough for long stretches to stick it out.

And you see this 90 percent of the time Roy touches the puck and another player isn't available for a pass / shot right away. He knows that if he throws it east or west, its coming back on a odd man rush. Does he also know Pominville isn't going to battle in the front of the net? Thats subject for debate.

The point is, these players failed us NOT Lindy Ruff.

Heres another thing to think of. How disapointed has Thomas Vanek been this season?

Both on his own play, and at certain times, the play of the team. Heres a guy that can really accel under this system. And he has to play with little kids! You dont think he knows TC, Roy, Pommers and Stafford's tendencies both on and off the ice? Do you think perhaps he senses the futility to grow up within these guys?

I think that is something to ponder on. Vanek is the star on this team. The only other player worthy of that title is Miller. Myers will be there very soon.

If you are saying Regier is the one to go I have no problem with that. Ruff does deserve his share of blame. The list of players that failed to develop and grow under Lindy Ruff is a long and every growing list. Players that have shown flashes of talent yet Lindy Ruff was unable to get them to that next level as a player. We can go back to Plante, Holzinger and Grosek. We can talk about Max, Kallinin and Kotalik. Or stay in the present and take a closer look at Paillie, MacArthur, Staffod, Butler and Sekera. For a organization that cries about how they need to build from within they do a pretty pi$$ poor job developing that talent from within. Even players like Roy, Pominville and Vanek who have all had some statistical success under Lindy Ruff have failed to grow as players.

This bolded part might be the only thing I agree with in this post. The rest is so inaccurate I don't know where to begin.

Thats a joke. Even if you dont agree with me, there are several facts in my post.

1-2-2 low forecheck? Vanek's frustration possibly heightend by his teammates inadequices? Tightend up neutral zone play? Lindy's offensive system more suited for larger players?

This is a waste of my time. Forums are time consumers, and people who would rather nick pic over personal opinions are worthless in my view.

You dont wanna have a conservation on the topic at hand? Stay away from the topic, or at least my comments if thats the case.

This "system" Ruff uses isn't anything ground breaking. Generally a 1-2-2 low forecheck, and it calls upon body and stick positioning more than a physical attack on the other teams offense.

I agree

My question to you is, If Ruff's defensive system is his fault, then how do you explain the lack of offensive production withing his system?

Because when our D does actually get the puck, all of our forwards are within five feet of Miller so there is nobody to pass the puck to. If they can pass it to someone, they are forced to skate through all five guys of the opposing team. And that's only if they didn't decide to circle back towards Miller giving the other team even more time to set up to defend against them.

Doesn't that fall on the players and Regier for keeping these players?

Lindy wants guys in the paint, and crashing the crease, shots from the wall and point, and lots of traffic in front. Sounds to me like a system suited for power forwards and offensive guys who want to win and have the heart to get it done.

When have we ever seen guys in the paint? We've seen more goals scored from behind the goal line than from in the paint. If that's really what Lindy wants then he should be fired for that alone because we have NEVER seen that.

Lindy tightened up our neutral zone play, and eliminated the dependancy on rush chances because trading rush chances is a sure fire way to get burned and expose the dmen.

If that's really the reason, then why are our Dmen always jumping into the play, giving up more odd-man rushes than any other team I've seen this year?

Now after watching several other teams during the playoffs, especially Nashville and Vancouver, its clear to me that those teams have multiple paralells to our offensive style. Vancouver generates more a cycle form behind the net, but you get the point. Van gets it done. The Sedins aren't uncomparable to any of our guys, but Mason Raymond and Alexander Burrows are. And they are not elite, top of the league players. They create chances, and its under an offensive system that is similar to Lindys.

This statement is just ridiculous. Let's just say for sake of argument that it's true. The only difference would then be in the way they are used and that falls exclusively on the coach.

Now i think the problem with the Sabres system, is the fact that these top 6 guys do not want to score this way, nor will they are hard enough for long stretches to stick it out.

And you see this 90 percent of the time Roy touches the puck and another player isn't available for a pass / shot right away. He knows that if he throws it east or west, its coming back on a odd man rush. Does he also know Pominville isn't going to battle in the front of the net? Thats subject for debate.

The point is, these players failed us NOT Lindy Ruff.

Heres another thing to think of. How disapointed has Thomas Vanek been this season?

Both on his own play, and at certain times, the play of the team. Heres a guy that can really accel under this system. And he has to play with little kids! You dont think he knows TC, Roy, Pommers and Stafford's tendencies both on and off the ice? Do you think perhaps he senses the futility to grow up within these guys?

I think that is something to ponder on. Vanek is the star on this team. The only other player worthy of that title is Miller. Myers will be there very soon.

The coaches job is to devise a system that gets the most out of his players. If he is so pig headed that his system is more important than the players playing it then he should be fired. If this was his first or second year then maybe, but if he hasn't found the right guys to fill in the missing pieces of his precious system after 12 years then it's time to go.

How's that for some good conversation?

Any one should they're facts.

But this team is supposed to be full of fast skaters. Either skate harder, smarter, or fall back. Its up to the players to rectify on ice mismatches. Lindy cant shout stragies from 50 feet away.

How many times does Ruff talk of geting to the "dirty areas" in front of the net to score goals? Maybe hes means it in a metaphorical way. But i recall Lindy stating dozens of time this season, with Howard Simon on tuesdays, that the game has changed in recent years ,and thats what it takes to score. Now he also has said to be effective in this town, you gotta get to the crease. Cite me for quotes whatever i'm not insane.

Never seen it? Because the top 6 is a bunch of pussies. And i agree we score more from behind the net.

I agree , and perhaps am wrong in this sense. But i know for a fact Lindy doesn't want a run and gun game out there. He wants dman pressure in the offensive zone, but not trading rushes.

Really guy? You stand by this statement wholeheartedly? For the sake of the argument lets go by stats. Derek Roy led all Sabres in points during the 07/08 years with 82 or 83 points whatever. I'm pretty sure thats the highest total sense 06/07 from any Sabre. Henrik Sedin had 81 assists this year. 2 fewer points than roy, IN HIS BEST YEAR. Still think the Sedins are in our top 6's crap pack toward the top 70 best offensive players in the league. Daniel has been hurt in recent years. But watch, he will be right there to set up Henrik next season for at least 40 assists all togehter with other players.

Lindy does just as much, if not more work than several coaches in this league, with alot worse talent than certain rosters. Its Lindy's fault we have 4 top 6 guys who would rather go down to chipewea after a big win than focus on the next game 2 nights away? Who would rather fold it up in the playoffs than work harder? Who cannot comprehend dumping the puck into the zone?

Pretty mundane convo.

I've lost all respect for your opinion after the sedin comment. Surly immaculate uninformation.

Any one should they're facts.

But this team is supposed to be full of fast skaters. Either skate harder, smarter, or fall back. Its up to the players to rectify on ice mismatches. Lindy cant shout stragies from 50 feet away.

How many times does Ruff talk of geting to the "dirty areas" in front of the net to score goals? Maybe hes means it in a metaphorical way. But i recall Lindy stating dozens of time this season, with Howard Simon on tuesdays, that the game has changed in recent years ,and thats what it takes to score. Now he also has said to be effective in this town, you gotta get to the crease. Cite me for quotes whatever i'm not insane.

Never seen it? Because the top 6 is a bunch of pussies. And i agree we score more from behind the net.

I agree , and perhaps am wrong in this sense. But i know for a fact Lindy doesn't want a run and gun game out there. He wants dman pressure in the offensive zone, but not trading rushes.

Really guy? You stand by this statement wholeheartedly? For the sake of the argument lets go by stats. Derek Roy led all Sabres in points during the 07/08 years with 82 or 83 points whatever. I'm pretty sure thats the highest total sense 06/07 from any Sabre. Henrik Sedin had 81 assists this year. 2 fewer points than roy, IN HIS BEST YEAR. Still think the Sedins are in our top 6's crap pack toward the top 70 best offensive players in the league. Daniel has been hurt in recent years. But watch, he will be right there to set up Henrik next season for at least 40 assists all togehter with other players.

Lindy does just as much, if not more work than several coaches in this league, with alot worse talent than certain rosters. Its Lindy's fault we have 4 top 6 guys who would rather go down to chipewea after a big win than focus on the next game 2 nights away? Who would rather fold it up in the playoffs than work harder? Who cannot comprehend dumping the puck into the zone?

Pretty mundane convo.

I've lost all respect for your opinion after the sedin comment. Surly immaculate uninformation.

If Lindy wants guys to crash the net, then why doesn't he sit the guys that don't listen to him and do that. Why doesn't he put those guys in the press box for a night? Why does he not cut the ice time of those guys? He's too busy cutting the ice time of the one guy that does do that and sits him him the penalty box for five minutes when we need a goal.

If the Sedins are such average talent, I believe your words were, "aren't uncomparable to any of our guys" (meaning the same), would you not take them on the Sabres. If they are the same, how does their coach get SO much more out of them?

Our players might not be the best, but Lindy sure doesn't help.

EDIT: After reading your new sig I think we agree more than you think. If only you didn't misquote yourself.

Hey man i was stating that the Sedins are alot better than any of our offensive guys. There not comparable in any sense to any of our offensive players. They are top tier talent, in this league.

Aren't comparable meaning, to good to compare to our players.

I dont get how you misunderstood that.

Hey man i was stating that the Sedins are alot better than any of our offensive guys. There not comparable in any sense to any of our offensive players. They are top tier talent, in this league.

I heard LQ has talked to Roswell about genetically mutated embryos that he'll train in his basement.

I heard LQ has talked to Roswell about genetically mutated embryos that he'll train in his basement.

Lmao, perhaps infusing these into Roy will make the puck stay on his stick! Perhaps they will give TC the heart of a Viking? Perhaps this will give Shakira the balls of a mammoth. :w00t:

Lmao, perhaps infusing these into Roy will make the puck stay on his stick! Perhaps they will give TC the heart of a Viking? Perhaps this will give Shakira the balls of a mammoth. :w00t:

My perfect bf. Big heart big balls and a big stick. Ohh Quinnie.

Aren't comparable meaning, to good to compare to our players.

You said aren't uncomparable. That's what caused all the confusion and look on the bright side, look at all the time we wasted agreeing with each other.

Archived