McCormick recalled

wildcat48

SURPRISE CALL UP BY DARCY??

So far 3 plays have defined this series. 1.) Vanek getting WHACKED on the knee. 2.) Ellis getting SMACKED almost unconscious and 3.) Kennedy getting beaten off the puck for the game tying goal Monday night.

What's really SAD is nobody on this team is willing to drop the gloves. The call up is only surprising because

McCormick (4/18/1983, 6’3”, 215 lbs.) hasn't played a game for the Sabres this year. You know what though.....It TICKS me off because are we basically saying that nobody will fight on this team?? We score 1 goal in the last game and desperately NEED offense and we HAVE TO call up a guy that has 250 penalty minutes??? Unfortunately we do HAVE to because we have no real captain and nobody who will even think about dropping their gloves when our best player gets a 2 handed WHACK to the knee. C'mon on know guys!

Where are you Craig Rivet?

I love these Sabres but boy do they p^%S me the F&%$#$k off!

You're point #2 is why your subsequent tirade is a non-sequitur!

And Sekera dropped the gloves and Lydman was ready to go at it as well!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

You're point #2 is why your subsequent tirade is a non-sequitur!

And Sekera dropped the gloves and Lydman was ready to go at it as well!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

I appreciate the point. But I disagree. Nobody took a beating for the Vanek hit. We have girls, err guys like Lydman having to stand up to their big guns. Where was Rivet?? How many fights for Gaustad?? Damn, Lydman is our tough guy 'ready' to go. Damn, it's worse than I thought. GO SABRES. Prediction: Big win tonight: Like a 3-0 or even a 6-1 type game. Then it's back to our house. C'mon Rivet, pull your skirt up and drop the gloves! :wallbash:

I appreciate the point. But I disagree. Nobody took a beating for the Vanek hit. We have girls, err guys like Lydman having to stand up to their big guns. Where was Rivet?? How many fights for Gaustad?? Damn, Lydman is our tough guy 'ready' to go. Damn, it's worse than I thought. GO SABRES. Prediction: Big win tonight: Like a 3-0 or even a 6-1 type game. Then it's back to our house. C'mon Rivet, pull your skirt up and drop the gloves! :wallbash:

I'll disagree on Rivet, he was in the face and ready to go vs. Ference who turtled. I do believe Rivet is/was looking for action, he may slow and not as skilled, but will bring what he can.

My disappointments for throwing some lumber this series again, are Montador, Goose, Kaleta. The guys who I thought were supposed too.

Kudos to Mair so far :thumbsup:

I'll disagree on Rivet, he was in the face and ready to go vs. Ference who turtled. I do believe Rivet is/was looking for action, he may slow and not as skilled, but will bring what he can.

My disappointments for throwing some lumber this series again, are Montador, Goose, Kaleta. The guys who I thought were supposed too.

Kudos to Mair so far :thumbsup:

I still believe the reason that Kaleta scales back the hitting every now and then, is because Lindy gets on his case about taking himself out of the play when attempting to throw a body check.

He replaces Ellis. How is that any change to this team at all?

Size and toughness. Ellis is a lot like Max. He always appears to be moving his feet real fast without accomplishing much. He is a hard worker, but a dime a dozen player.

Was there a problem earlier in the year with giving McCormick a shot instead of Paetsch or Sekera as the 13th forward?

Maybe he will do nothing with his 6-8 minutes of play, but then again, maybe he will surprise you.

I still believe the reason that Kaleta scales back the hitting every now and then, is because Lindy gets on his case about taking himself out of the play when attempting to throw a body check.

I agree on Kaleta, but Goose appears to be still nursing his wrist. Unfortunately, he has backed of hitting as well. So he can't throw punches, learn to wrestle and face wash. Connolly needs to show up too. I would love to see Adam and Kassian if the Bruins win the next one. Also, I agree Gerbe should replace Ennis. Ennis seems to have hit a wall, size being the factor.

not that i add to any discussions on the boards, but for the most part everyone agrees the current roster is playing soft and even appear to be 'shel-shocked' in my eyes. i would like to see d.r. bring mancari, cowan, and weber up with mccormick (if this is legal in the 4 emergency call-up rule?). i'd rather watch a few new additions trying to prove something on the ice rather than the current group brushing the ice off their derrieres.

also, one thing i think i remember is lindy made a comment about them playing the body too much and forgetting the puck and this was after the game 1 win. hopefully tonight they'll have their marbles back in their jockstraps?!

just my two cents, which isn't much....

(if this is legal in the 4 emergency call-up rule?)

I believe that it is four non-emergency call-ups and that the rule is part of an agreement between the AHL and NHL to keep NHL teams from decimating their AHL affiliates' rosters by calling everyone up during their playoffs. If I'm not mistaken, now that Portland has been eliminated, they can call-up as many players as they like from the Pirates. There is no roster limit or waivers.

I believe that it is four non-emergency call-ups and that the rule is part of an agreement between the AHL and NHL to keep NHL teams from decimating their AHL affiliate's roster by calling everyone up during their playoffs. If I'm not mistaken, now that Portland has been eliminated, they can call-up as many players as they like from the Pirates. There is no roster limit or waivers.

Why not call up Gerbe and Mancari too then?

All I did was shake his hand. It was obvious he was not in the mood for a long chat. He was there with two other Sabres staffers. Can the Sabres make more callups without risking a waiver claim?PTR

No, I'm just saying that since they're eliminated, the team is now free to call up anyone. The limit is now removed.

Is that confirmed anywhere?

I haven't bothered reading anything, but I think it's pretty obvious. If they had lost another top end guy, it would have been Gerbe instead.

Was there a problem earlier in the year with giving McCormick a shot instead of Paetsch or Sekera as the 13th forward? Maybe he will do nothing with his 6-8 minutes of play, but then again, maybe he will surprise you.

That was the problem with carrying 8 d-men. They had a full roster and couldn't call anyone up. They had to IR someone to do that, but most of the time, our injuries this year weren't long term and didn't call for IR. I would imagine that the farm club being in Portland instead of Rochester also factored in a bit.

That was the problem with carrying 8 d-men. They had a full roster and couldn't call anyone up. They had to IR someone to do that, but most of the time, our injuries this year weren't long term and didn't call for IR. I would imagine that the farm club being in Portland instead of Rochester also factored in a bit.

We've debated this before. Paetsch and Mair both cleared waivers and could have been sent to Portland afterwards. This would have freed up a roster spot.

I agree on Kaleta, but Goose appears to be still nursing his wrist. Unfortunately, he has backed of hitting as well. So he can't throw punches, learn to wrestle and face wash. Connolly needs to show up too. I would love to see Adam and Kassian if the Bruins win the next one. Also, I agree Gerbe should replace Ennis. Ennis seems to have hit a wall, size being the factor.

I think everyone is forgetting that Kaleta is still recovering from the thumb injury and really can't fight:

"In addition to the usual bumps and bruises, Kaleta has also been sporting a cast due surgery he underwent for his thumb in late March."

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=525818

We've debated this before. Paetsch and Mair both cleared waivers and could have been sent to Portland afterwards. This would have freed up a roster spot.

But once Mair cleared, he was immediately pressed into duty. His window to be demoted closed quickly. Paetsch? Yeah, probably, but since he was already around, they used him in those rare occasions. They're not going to fly someone in when another guy is already there.

I think everyone is forgetting that Kaleta is still recovering from the thumb injury and really can't fight:

"In addition to the usual bumps and bruises, Kaleta has also been sporting a cast due surgery he underwent for his thumb in late March."

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=525818

I don't know if it was ever directly stated, but that's how he got the 10 minute misconduct in game one. You are not allowed to throw any punches if you have any type of cast on your hand/wrist.

I don't know if it was ever directly stated, but that's how he got the 10 minute misconduct in game one. You are not allowed to throw any punches if you have any type of cast on your hand/wrist.

Huh, I must've missed that -- been mostly listening to the games online between work and lack of Versus. :(

The lightbulb finally went on and DR & LR have come to the realization that their small soft team isn't going to cut it? I've been calling for McCormick to get a shot all year long.

Lets see what he brings to Game 4.

McCormick's recall is a clear indication that the Sabres realize they are too soft and they don't have many options.

I am starting to think that the Sabres are finally realizing that the made a mistake in how they constructed the current team. Playoff hockey is not pretty, but its tough and dirty work. They are not built to do this type of work. I hope to see significant change in the team. There are too many freeloaders who don't carry their weight. They don't score and they are not tough either. (i.e. Stafford and others)

Last years draft was an indication that they are getting the message. This years draft will hopefully mirror last years with an emphasis on good sized Centers. They look weak down the middle especially in terms of size. Gaustad is just not talented enough and the other centers are too small and/or soft. Luke Adam might develop someday into an NHLer.

And a lot of fans still wonder why Hasek got so pissed off at the organization? Or why other top players (you know who)left in free agency rather than re-sign with Buffalo?

Management seems to be satisfied with being competitive, but not driven to win a Cup.

Kudos to Mair so far thumbsup.gif

I agree, partially! The Sabres canNOT be continually sucked in to that style of play because it is NOT aptitude and skill! Today, they get back to their bread and butter!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

McCormick's recall is a clear indication that the Sabres realize they are too soft and they don't have many options.

I am starting to think that the Sabres are finally realizing that the made a mistake in how they constructed the current team. Playoff hockey is not pretty, but its tough and dirty work. They are not built to do this type of work. I hope to see significant change in the team. There are too many freeloaders who don't carry their weight. They don't score and they are not tough either. (i.e. Stafford and others)

Last years draft was an indication that they are getting the message. This years draft will hopefully mirror last years with an emphasis on good sized Centers. They look weak down the middle especially in terms of size. Gaustad is just not talented enough and the other centers are too small and/or soft. Luke Adam might develop someday into an NHLer.

And a lot of fans still wonder why Hasek got so pissed off at the organization? Or why other top players (you know who)left in free agency rather than re-sign with Buffalo?

Management seems to be satisfied with being competitive, but not driven to win a Cup.

Ellis out(broken nose) = McCormick similar style

The rest is a rant we've been hearing all year despite winning NorthEast division!

And most of the rant was...they're going to miss the playoffs three years in a row!

GO Buffalo Sabres!!!

Ellis out(broken nose) = McCormick similar style

While McCormick's willingness to fight(which could have been a plus on this team during the regular season), doesn't come into play that much in the playoffs, he has 196 hits in 95 games over the last two seasons in Colorado. Except for Kaleta, no one on the Sabres including Ellis comes close to this type of physical play. In addition, he is a bigger player than Ellis.

I'm not saying he is going to be a difference maker tonight, but it can't hurt at this point.

While McCormick's willingness to fight(which could have been a plus on this team during the regular season), doesn't come into play that much in the playoffs, he has 196 hits in 95 games over the last two seasons in Colorado. Except for Kaleta, no one on the Sabres including Ellis comes close to this type of physical play. In addition, he is a bigger player than Ellis.

I'm not saying he is going to be a difference maker tonight, but it can't hurt at this point.

I would not be at all upset if he grabbed the first Bruin he saw in his very first shift and beat the snot out of him. The Sabres have been outmuscled for two games and someone needs to lead the way. I thought they out-toughed the Bruins in the first game (shockingly) and won. They have been pushed around for two games now. Perhaps MCormick can set an example for the likes of Gaustad and Stafford.

Archived