GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Yes, a true shot of "retribution" was presented in front of Boychuk, and he did not hesitate to take the swing. There are plays in the game that are slightly similar, but nowhere near as lethal. Boychuk isn't an offensive guy, nor is he relied on to do anything but check and such. What else is he out there to do, but injure Van? I'm sure he could care less that he injured our best offensive gun.

"Hey guys, i injured Vanek, should we send a card or something?" :angry:

If they don't want it to happen again, then the Sabres should have scored on that power play to make it 3-0.

I'll put on my pads right now and let Boychuk hit me in the leg the exact way he hit Vanek. It would do nothing. They are made to absorb 90 mph slapshots. Did he try to trip him up? Oh, you betcha and I would hope that our D would do the same thing if they were beat. Again, it was Vanek's left leg that got hurt.

Now that I've had a day to cool off, this loss is to be expected. In fact every favorite in the playoffs has dropped a turd in their series. I certainly didn't expect the Sabres to win a cup. I figured they could beat Boston but it would not shock me if they get bounced. This team is too soft and too small. (Even when they trade for some grit like Raffi Torres he flops...what a disappointment!) Plus they can't clear their own end. They are surprisingly vulnerable to the forecheck. Yes they have Miller but he can only do so much. We still have to score and we can't, especially without Vanek. Any chance we can bring up Zack Kassian for this series?

PTR

If they don't want it to happen again, then the Sabres should have scored on that power play to make it 3-0.

I'll put on my pads right now and let Boychuk hit me in the leg the exact way he hit Vanek. It would do nothing. They are made to absorb 90 mph slapshots. Did he try to trip him up? Oh, you betcha and I would hope that our D would do the same thing if they were beat. Again, it was Vanek's left leg that got hurt.

Could that be a pay per view special? Oh you betcha.

Did you honestly not see Vanek's leg bow in? Is that nothing?

Could that be a pay per view special? Oh you betcha.

Did you honestly not see Vanek's leg bow in? Is that nothing?

Like I said but apparently you didn't want to hear, that was not the leg that was injured. Was it intent to trip? Yes! Was it intent to injure? NO!

Like I said but apparently you didn't want to hear, that was not the leg that was injured. Was it intent to trip? Yes! Was it intent to injure? NO!

I believe his intent, as shown by his actions on the play, was to prevent a goal while being indifferent to injury. That is why it was a dirty play, but a good one at the same time. He didn't care about the knee being there, he only wanted to chop down on the stick to prevent a shot on goal.

I know which leg it was. Watching the replay more times than I've seen the Zapruder film, I wonder if he didn't actually sprain that ankle on the slash. His left foot does something weird at that instant.

Intent? Get in here d4rk.

Jury of his peers, I bet he would be convicted of attempt to injure. Motive -- Vanek had cross checked Wheeler; Boychuk himself had been near-cheap shotted by Myers; desire is always there to take out the other team's best player. Opportunity -- obvious. Physical evidence -- it's a two hander aimed at the knee; Vanek had gone to the backhand so the stick wasn't even available to hack; look at the sheer force of the slash. There was anger in it. Then you have the credibility of statements he's made since. Didn't know he slashed his knee. Didn't know it was even Vanek. Aha!

Law & Order: NHL.

I know which leg it was. Watching the replay more times than I've seen the Zapruder film, I wonder if he didn't actually sprain that ankle on the slash. His left foot does something weird at that instant.

Jury of his peers, I bet he would be convicted of attempt to injure. Motive -- Vanek had cross checked Wheeler; Boychuk himself had been near-cheap shotted by Myers; desire is always there to take out the other team's best player. Opportunity -- obvious. Physical evidence -- it's a two hander aimed at the knee; Vanek had gone to the backhand so the stick wasn't even available to hack; look at the sheer force of the slash. There was anger in it. Then you have the credibility of statements he's made since. Didn't know he slashed his knee. Didn't know it was even Vanek. Aha!

The problem here is his movements are exactly as he explained them. He goes to hook the stick from the outside but then raises his stick and chops down when he gets to the other side. Are you saying that while on the opposite side of Vanek - he decided he was going to slash the far knee when he most likely couldn't have even seen it being behind Vanek? The stick was already in the air before it was apparent that his knee was exposed.

vanek1.jpg

vanek2.jpg

This only shows that his leg moved inward. The bend of his knee is always in the same plane as the direction of his skate. There is nothing abnormal there whatsoever.

post-136-12716191237485_thumb.jpg

post-136-12716191367882_thumb.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now it's a sprained ankle as well? What else does Vanek have because of what Boychuk did to him? IBS? Cavities? Hurt feelings?

Watch the video one page back in this thread. Between 9 and 11 seconds in. It's exactly what he described he was trying to do. I'm done.

The prosecution is giving it a rest.

Maybe we need to have a jury of OUR peers vote on it.

A a lot of the excusing away of the play is the same idiotic logic that Colon Campbell uses to avoid doing his job and actually hand out suspensions. It's why Sutton can throw a flying elbow and not get a game and why a clear two handed chop at Vanek's knee will go unpunished as well. I always expect the NHL to look the other way like a WWE referee. It's a bit unusual when "Sabre fans" want to turn a blind eye as well.

A a lot of the excusing away of the play is the same idiotic logic that Colon Campbell uses to avoid doing his job and actually hand out suspensions. It's why Sutton can throw a flying elbow and not get a game and why a clear two handed chop at Vanek's knee will go unpunished as well. I always expect the NHL to look the other way like a WWE referee. It's a bit unusual when "Sabre fans" want to turn a blind eye as well.

I guess I'm just a horrible, horrible person.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now it's a sprained ankle as well? What else does Vanek have because of what Boychuk did to him? IBS? Cavities? Hurt feelings?

Watch the video one page back in this thread. Between 9 and 11 seconds in. It's exactly what he described he was trying to do. I'm done.

As well? The high ankle sprain news just came out today.

You're done? I can say anything I want now?

WWE is a good analogy. I don't know how you explain officiating in this league to someone who might be watching an NHL playoff game for the first time. It really does seem crooked sometimes.

As well? The high ankle sprain news just came out today.

You're done? I can say anything I want now?

I haven't seen that. To use the vernacular of the kiddies these days, Link?

EDIT:Actually, I don't care about a link because it would be his left ankle anyway. You know, the leg that wasn't all bent weird in your little picture.

wow, lots of great posts here. they cover all aspects of yesterday's game, the crowd, the season, etc. when you look at it, the sabres are in a best of five series now. THEY NEDE TO WIN THREE GAMES -- i like their chances. WHile the Vanek injury is profound (b/k without Hecht, he is one of the few large forwards they have. He drives teh net and is an ox out there in many ways, he is simply the Sabre upfront), they have shown a great ability to do things they are not expeceted to do all season.

These are good things they have:

1) Miller could steal the game tomorrow, he is that good.

2) KAleta has a devastating hit coming -- where a Bruin will be out until next October. Write it down.

3) COnnolly is a premier player who is getting his timing down. He played better yesterday -- and is due. When he goes the Sabres go -- it has been this way all season.

4) Ruff will have the guys ready. THey are on the road -- the pressure is on the Bruins.

What is bad:

1) Torres looks lost most shifts. He has some value and they need him to drive the net and sustain some forechecks better.

2) Paille has been very good for the Bruins. That trade is hurting right now.

3) THe Bruinds are bigger and if they dont let the Sabres skate and get some speed in teh neutral zone -- this series is over.

4) THe Bruins will dump and chase tomorrow adn bang our defensman with their big wingers.

5) Gerbe and Ennis, while the future, are not well suited for a series like this. This is close combat old adams division style play. THose two smurfs are great in space. There is NONE here.

THe Sabres and Ruff know how to win with an inferior lineup and have done so for a decade. But the smoke and mirrors can only take you so far. THey will need some luck to win this series. But Ruff will have his guys ready. When you look down the bench you see a weakling lineup. In 3 years Sabre fans will have a devastating checking FIRST lineup with guys like:

Luke Adam

Zack Kassian

Mike Weber

Brayden McNabe

Corey Tropp

T.J. Brennan

WWE is a good analogy. I don't know how you explain officiating in this league to someone who might be watching an NHL playoff game for the first time. It really does seem crooked sometimes.

Officiating in the NHL has lacked any form of integrity for as long as I can remember. I really don't think it's incompetence as much as it is arrogance by the NHL and the officials themselves. When the they get get called on it they are quick to hide behind such things as "you can't judge intent." Which is complete bull$hit because that is exactly Colon Campbell's job. He'll make a ridiculous non-decision like not suspending Sutton and then the league will have their mouth pieces on the NHL Network and Versus applaud him for it.

It really is embarrassing to try and explain the rules while watching the game with a non-fan. I remember explaining interference to my wife. We were watching a game and she turned to me and said "I thought you said that was interference?" I responded that it was and that the ref must have not seen it. She laughed and her response was priceless. She said "there are only 10 players skating up and down the ice and there are four officials? How did they not see it. It's only 2 and 1/2 players per official?" I just laughed and shook my head.

Lindy needs to tell Adam Mair, "Do it for the team - take out Chara..."

I agree. Intent or not on the Vanek play; Lindy should have sent someone out at some point and taken Chara out with the same kind of slash. It would only have cost them a 2 minute minor.

I agree. Intent or not on the Vanek play; Lindy should have sent someone out at some point and taken Chara out with the same kind of slash. It would only have cost them a 2 minute minor.

Even if he broke Chara's neck and ended his career Mair would only get about 15 games. That's what Bertuzzi served for intentionally ending a guys career. Colon Campbell and the NHL can be a f**cking joke sometimes. :thumbdown:

Without question. To think otherwise is simply your denial masking reality. It was a "conscious choice" due to the Bruins coaches installing a physically aggressive game plan and making sure their players have the intensity of playoff hockey. I don't blame the individual Bruin player for the injury. There is no doubt that if it had been any other Bruin the result would be the same. In the NBA they are called hard fouls. The Bruins committed a hard foul on Thomas Vanek and you can bet your arce is was a "conscious choice" and not the last time we see a hard foul.

Once again it is NHL officiating that is compromising the game and potentially the livelihood of players who are exposed to these irrational animal instinct behaviors of levying physical force to maim and incapacitate for an extended period of time.

When the officials fail to call a penalty or if the penalty is minor in comparison to the threat it poses to the aggrieved player it leads to "unfinished" business in the form of retaliation and fighting. Colin and Buttman are directly responsible for allowing this haphazard culture to persist despite the fact that the majority of hockey faithful are loathe to condone it. They are basically appealing to a base subculture of predatory mindsets. How dare they?

Blatant slashes of the kind Vanek has endured need to be reviewed for further disciplinary action.

It is NOT coincidental that when it comes to the Buffalo Sabres Colin and Buttman are turning a blind eye when it comes to doling out additional disciplinary action. The message is go ahead kill the Sabres if you wish! They could care less. It is so obvious it begs explanation!

Excellent! You Go Dude!

I could NOT have said it better myself and I believe that the overwhelming majority (as in hands down - no questions about it) of the hockey faithful NOT only within the Sabres Republic but within the Republic at large are sick of it! And frankly, I doubt if there is a Republic anywhere on this planet were that would fly either!

Colin and Buttman need to disappear and let hockey's New World Order - aptitude and skill - in a disciplined environment flourish!

Archived