GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Post of the year. The slash on Vanek in the Ottawa game was another one Swamp said was no big deal, seen 100 times a game. Sabres might have Swamp's mindset.

Actually, it was another nonsensical absurd rant as DeLuca desperately seeks to pound the square peg in the round hole.

Do you actually think, in the middle of an NHL paced hockey game - the defender made a conscious choice to haul down Vanek, but would have let another skater go? :rolleyes:

The analysis doesn't get any worse than this.

Actually, it was another nonsensical absurd rant as DeLuca desperately seeks to pound the square peg in the round hole.

Do you actually think, in the middle of an NHL paced hockey game - the defender made a conscious choice to haul down Vanek, but would have let another skater go? :rolleyes:

We're not clicking here. You talking about the play on Vanek? No, he didn't haul him down. He slashed the ###### out of his knee.

Post of the year. The slash on Vanek in the Ottawa game was another one Swamp said was no big deal, seen 100 times a game. Sabres might have Swamp's mindset.

So we're that fragile, one guy down and we're done. If you can't take a hit like that and keep playing then yes, we're fragile.

That wasn't the mindset that allowed Chara to get 2 goals (you know who's it was).

Connolly is Gray Cloud and should sit NOW. Gerbe should be out there.

I was thinking the same thing. Boychuk says to himself as Vanek breaks in for a great scoring chance, Andy Sutton slashed Vanek last week, I'll do the same thing. It was not instinct or anything, a deep and premeditated thought process all done in the fraction of a second.

But don't get in the way of Lola and Lindsey when they are on a roll, they live for these moments of Sabres' failure.

I was thinking the same thing. Boychuk says to himself as Vanek breaks in for a great scoring chance, Andy Sutton slashed Vanek last week, I'll do the same thing. It was not instinct or anything, a deep and premeditated thought process all done in the fraction of a second.

But don't get in the way of Lola and Lindsey when they are on a roll, they live for these moments of Sabres' failure.

Thanks for the back up... It is hard to believe this is even debatable, but hey - if another poster or two can twist events to fit an agenda, then they will.

Thanks for the back up... It is hard to believe this is even debatable, but hey - if another poster or two can twist events to fit an agenda, then they will.

What does this even mean?

Do you think anyone is happy we lost today other that Boston fans?

Boy, talk about an agenda and "I told you so"s.

Without question. To think otherwise is simply your denial masking reality. It was a "conscious choice" due to the Bruins coaches installing a physically aggressive game plan and making sure their players have the intensity of playoff hockey. I don't blame the individual Bruin player for the injury. There is no doubt that if it had been any other Bruin the result would be the same. In the NBA they are called hard fouls. The Bruins committed a hard foul on Thomas Vanek and you can bet your arce is was a "conscious choice" and not the last time we see a hard foul.

If that's the best back up you can get you might want to get out and make some more friends. :doh:

You really think Boston didn't enter the series knowing how soft the Sabres are and how liberties can be taken?

The slash absolutely was premeditated. A stick doesn't crash over the other team's top scorer's knee by accident.

Miller sounding very much like a fragile little kid in the postgame. Talk about bulletin board material. Bruins scored four "lucky" goals? Jeez.

Oh yeah, the crowd went back to sucking again today.

(Just trying to get it all out of my system.)

The Sabres still have call ups available to them, correct? It's time to use one and bring in Mike Weber or anyone and get Craig Rivet off the ice. He is by far the worst blue-liner on both benches.

I don't want to hear about how you can't bench the Captain. Bull$hit, suddenly Ruff has respect for the 'C'? This is the same guy who passed it around for a season based on drawing names out of a hat. Then rewarded it to a complete stranger?

The Sabres still have call ups available to them, correct? It's time to use one and bring in Mike Weber or anyone and get Craig Rivet off the ice. He is by far the worst blue-liner on both benches.

I don't want to hear about how you can't bench the Captain. Bull$hit, suddenly Ruff has respect for the 'C'? This is the same guy who passed it around for a season based on drawing names out of a hat. Then rewarded it to a complete stranger?

I would sit Gray Cloud and play Gerbe as well. At least he cares.

Well, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one gets filled first. Rivet has been sub-par all year long, and has yet to be benched for poor play. I seriously doubt that will change now.

Oh yeah, the crowd went back to sucking again today.

(Just trying to get it all out of my system.)

Ok dude, I love your "enthusiasm" but, I have a bleeding throat from screaming during that game. FU for criticizing the crowd [me] while you sit on the sideline. Not like I let in 5 goals today, or only scored 3.

Guest Sloth

I'm just going to make this opinionated point. The Sabres have been outplayed tremendously by the Bruins. One can look at SOG and any other area that can reflect level of play, but Buffalo has rarely controlled what has been happening on ice. In the final minutes of today's game, the Sabres were unable to establish a quality line/scoring chances. It was very disappointing, and all I can think about is game one's second period. Boston is gaining the confidence needed to dictate play. The Sabres have to apply a more pressurized syestem of hockey in game 3. The finese play is getting beat, and I do not think Buffalo's current style/level of play will get them to the second round. Boston is simply playing playoff hockey. The Sabres have yet to do so. A very disappointed Sabres fan...

Ok dude, I love your "enthusiasm" but, I have a bleeding throat from screaming during that game. FU for criticizing the crowd [me] while you sit on the sideline. Not like I let in 5 goals today, or only scored 3.

I personally thought the crowd was great today. Loud and cheering them on until the empty netter.

You really think Boston didn't enter the series knowing how soft the Sabres are and how liberties can be taken?

The slash absolutely was premeditated. A stick doesn't crash over the other team's top scorer's knee by accident.

Words mean things. You don't get to write "post of the year" and then change all the words to justify it. As Dave Dryden put it:

"Boychuk says to himself as Vanek breaks in for a great scoring chance, Andy Sutton slashed Vanek last week, I'll do the same thing."

This was the essence of the original post. You called it "post of the year". It is nothing but a pile of rubbish.

In fact, you could make the argument that the intent was to slash down on the stick to prevent the scoring chance and Vanek's knee was in the way.

People who hit knees intentionally come from the side, not over the top. It was an aggressive stick play, it was a slash, but for you and your buddy to suggest that Boychuk ACTIVELY thought about Andy Sutton slashing Vanek last week, so he was going to do the same this week is absurd.

I personally thought the crowd was great today. Loud and cheering them on until the empty netter.

For those that watched it on NBC - you couldn't even hear the announcers for most of the game.

What I observed:

1. Too many whiffs. The thing at the end of the stick is supposed to touch the puck, not move over it. There were goals to be had, clearances to be made, but no. Disgusting.

2. Shots: they should go towards the space where Rask isn't. Not right at his pad/stomach.

3. Crowd: Awesome. Still screaming, I mean SCREAMING, and on our feet for the last 2:30, until the empty netter. PA, wrong again. But you watched from home, so you know the atmosphere, right?

4. Sabs D-men were better than it seemed. Problem in Sabs end: forwards won't challenge Bruins blueliners for the puck. Clear the freaking zone already.

5. Hockey games last 60 minutes, not 20. Great first period. Then, what? Shooting at Rask's pads?

6. The Sabres hit well today. They really did. (Yes, so did the Bs, but that doesn't mean the Sabres didn't.)

7. Refs let the Bs get away with murder in the first period of game 1, and let them get away with murder all day today. Look, if the ref's are going to "let 'em play" (a euphanism for not calling freaking obvious penalties), then let us see a Sabres team that's as dirty as the Bruins are.

8. The name "Tuukka" is perfect for chanting, and there was a lot of it. But really, do we chant a goalie's name in a tied game? Is this Carolina, or is it Buffalo? Seemed amateurish.

9. I don't hate Kennedy, but is there a player in the league with worse puck sense? Seems the guy always is skating in the wrong direction. Connolly often is guilty of seeing a puck go by, but not going after it (because he floats), but I don't even think Kennedy sees the thing.

Words mean things. You don't get to write "post of the year" and then change all the words to justify it. As Dave Dryden put it:

"Boychuk says to himself as Vanek breaks in for a great scoring chance, Andy Sutton slashed Vanek last week, I'll do the same thing."

This was the essence of the original post. You called it "post of the year". It is nothing but a pile of rubbish.

In fact, you could make the argument that the intent was to slash down on the stick to prevent the scoring chance and Vanek's knee was in the way.

People who hit knees intentionally come from the side, not over the top. It was an aggressive stick play, it was a slash, but for you and your buddy to suggest that Boychuk ACTIVELY thought about Andy Sutton slashing Vanek last week, so he was going to do the same this week is absurd.

Good thing DD said it, because you didn't!

Oh yeah, his knee was in the way! Your honor, my client didn't rape that woman, he just fell on her ######. Wow, get a grip.

I don't think anyone suggested the thought process went like that. Nice strawman. The thought process certainly for the Bruins coming into the series was that they could take liberties on the Sabres' top player. The rep is out all over the league. He had the chance, he did it -- and Vanek knee buckled in in a grotesque way. If his right knee didn't get hurt, he has some very flexible ligaments. I'd like to hear you explain how a stick coming DOWN on someone's leg caused that reaction.

And the ref, watching it, called a phantom hook.

BTW, you'll see that Vanek is favoring his left knee when skating off the ice, even though the slash was on his right knee... He probably injured it when he crashed into the boards.

So what? Can't you see what that slash did to his right knee? Don't think I've seen that in a lot of years of watching the Sabres.

Are you trying to downplay the slash? The only reason he slides into the boards and apparently injures his other leg is because of the slash!

You didn't suck then.

Archived