Mancari and Gerbe to Buffalo

wildcat48

Regier talks about recalls and thoughts on Pirates

Published on: 28th March, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – With the Buffalo Sabres in Boston to play the Bruins on Monday night, Sabres’ GM Darcy Regier had an opportunity to take in a Pirates game. He spoke to the media about the recent recalls of Tyler Ennis, Mark Mancari and Nathan Gerbe after the Pirates defeated the Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2, at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Link>>>>

Gerbe, for one has to know his chances are just about up.

Gerbe is second year pro...how are his chances used up? He was up for like 10 games last year, and has had almost an entire extra year of seasoning since then. If he makes it well into next year without impressing enough to stick with Buffalo, then maybe he's reaching the end of the line.

Mancari, on the other hand, probably feels exactly like that. 5 years pro, it's make or break time.

Gerbe is second year pro...how are his chances used up? He was up for like 10 games last year, and has had almost an entire extra year of seasoning since then. If he makes it well into next year without impressing enough to stick with Buffalo, then maybe he's reaching the end of the line.

Mancari, on the other hand, probably feels exactly like that. 5 years pro, it's make or break time.

Despite the hype, he is a former low round draft choice who has failed to distinguish himself other then an inability to stay healthy. Lindy himself has said he is either a top 6 forward or nothing and with Kennedy and Ennis already passing him, time is running short.

Mancari is just another depth forward.

Despite the hype, he is a former low round draft choice who has failed to distinguish himself other then an inability to stay healthy. Lindy himself has said he is either a top 6 forward or nothing and with Kennedy and Ennis already passing him, time is running short.

Numbers don't lie. As of this season, Gerbe is a PPG player. I would put him in full time and let guys like Stafford and Vanek sit until there is an injury :D .

I mean, really, if the kid produces, keep him, if he doesn't trade him. There's always a GM out there that will give something for guys like Gerbe. Same can be said for Mancari.

Numbers don't lie. As of this season, Gerbe is a PPG player. I would put him in full time and let guys like Stafford and Vanek sit until there is an injury :D .

I mean, really, if the kid produces, keep him, if he doesn't trade him. There's always a GM out there that will give something for guys like Gerbe. Same can be said for Mancari.

Their won't be a trade involving either of those players.

True but who is going to catch them unless the team has three Marty St. Louis on it.... Call it the Jitterbug Connection... though Kennedy could be included in that group too... put him on the point for the power play with Meyers and there is a Harry Chapin line in there.... 4 munchkins and a troll with Meyers at the other point.

I don;t want it to seem I am anti-munchkin. I'm not, I disliked this roster from the beginning and if any player, no matter the size, can change the current makeup I say its a good thing.

Size matters! Anyone who tells you different is trying to spare your feelings.

I don't have any affinity for big guys or a need to be big vicariously, through hockey players.

Whatever you and your friends are into size wise is your business, spare us the seedy details.

Now, I am not saying that he will be a star or anything int he league, but you guys need to check the numbers and check the stats before you throw this stuff out. Gerbe has been here for 2 games this year and has a Goal and an assist. I'm no math wiz, but so far that is a point per game.

I realize that he had a tough go of it last year when he was up (although if you look at the Sabres record while he was here, they won a lot more than they lost last year.....he may have not had great numbers last year in his 10 games or so, but the Sabres won while he was here). Anyway, this is not about LAST YEAR.....it is about THIS YEAR. And as of now, he has been very good his first 2 games here this season. Same goes with Ennis. I am not the biggest Mancari fan, but he has been fine as well. Point is that these 3 guys have done more for this team that Stafford has done lately! HA! We can always get better. Hopefully Ennis continues his great play and earns a permanent spot for the Playoff run. Much rather have him in the lineup than Ellis or Mair!!! Take your pick and sit 1 of them. Ennis offers a lot more than either of those guys.

Anyway, again, I am not saying any of these guys will be stars, but don't dog Gerbe when he has been very good in the 2 games he has been in THIS SEASON.

Now, I am not saying that he will be a star or anything int he league, but you guys need to check the numbers and check the stats before you throw this stuff out. Gerbe has been here for 2 games this year and has a Goal and an assist. I'm no math wiz, but so far that is a point per game.

I realize that he had a tough go of it last year when he was up (although if you look at the Sabres record while he was here, they won a lot more than they lost last year.....he may have not had great numbers last year in his 10 games or so, but the Sabres won while he was here). Anyway, this is not about LAST YEAR.....it is about THIS YEAR. And as of now, he has been very good his first 2 games here this season. Same goes with Ennis. I am not the biggest Mancari fan, but he has been fine as well. Point is that these 3 guys have done more for this team that Stafford has done lately! HA! We can always get better. Hopefully Ennis continues his great play and earns a permanent spot for the Playoff run. Much rather have him in the lineup than Ellis or Mair!!! Take your pick and sit 1 of them. Ennis offers a lot more than either of those guys.

Anyway, again, I am not saying any of these guys will be stars, but don't dog Gerbe when he has been very good in the 2 games he has been in THIS SEASON.

You get a point per game in 60 games you've been very good, you get a couple points in two games and once again get hurt in one of those games and the jury is still out.

I'd love to see Gerbe star but so far he has been a dissapointment. There has been no burst, no flat out speed. Hopefully this time up he proves me wrong and you can say I told you so.

I don't have any affinity for big guys or a need to be big vicariously, through hockey players.

I've noticed you actually seem to have an affinity for smallish skill players. Theses type of players will ultimately get pushed around and out of the playoffs. A team can have a Roy or an Ennis but not Ennis, Roy, Gerbe, Pominville, Connolly (plays small), as your teams scoring forwards in the playoffs. I'm not advocating Gaustad being elevated to the teams number one center, I just don't think this bunch of forwards has the guile to succeed in the post season.

You get a point per game in 60 games you've been very good, you get a couple points in two games and once again get hurt in one of those games and the jury is still out.

I'd love to see Gerbe star but so far he has been a dissapointment. There has been no burst, no flat out speed. Hopefully this time up he proves me wrong and you can say I told you so.

And recurring injury issues are a major red flag for a 5'4 hockey player. The biggest question mark for him making the transition to pro had absolutely nothing to do with his skill. With a guy that size, you want to see if his body can hold up to all the physical wear and tear he's going to face. This season hasn't looked so good in that regard.

5'4 hockey player.

It's hard to fathom the extraordinary disadvantage a player of that height is, let alone his weight (170lbs?). How many players near that size (under 5'8") have ever succeeded?

Brian Gionta

Steve Sullivan

Martin St.Louis

All of which are bigger and from what I've senen so far, vastly more talented than Nathan. I'll be rooting for him, I just don't think it's in the cards for him though.

It's hard to fathom the extraordinary disadvantage a player of that height is, let alone his weight (170lbs?). How many players near that size (under 5'8") have ever succeeded?

Brian Gionta

Steve Sullivan

Martin St.Louis

All of which are bigger and from what I've senen so far, vastly more talented than Nathan. I'll be rooting for him, I just don't think it's in the cards for him though.

He's listed at same height as Theo Fleury, so I guess all it will take to succeed is some crack. Gionta's the only one out of your list I'd even bother to mention. The others tower over him.

Brian Gionta

Steve Sullivan

Martin St.Louis

Another problem for a player his height, is that he's at a distinct disadvantage defensively simply because of his lack of reach.

I've noticed you actually seem to have an affinity for smallish skill players. Theses type of players will ultimately get pushed around and out of the playoffs. A team can have a Roy or an Ennis but not Ennis, Roy, Gerbe, Pominville, Connolly (plays small), as your teams scoring forwards in the playoffs. I'm not advocating Gaustad being elevated to the teams number one center, I just don't think this bunch of forwards has the guile to succeed in the post season.

Smaller players get pushed out of the playoffs?

Myself I don't get hung up on the size of players either way, I know too much about hockey.

The jury is still out on Ennis and Gerbe.

I have a lot of confidence in Kennedy at this point.

This screw ball idea that you seem to have that when the playoffs start somehow big players start dominating skill players is a total myth. I'll repeat TOTAL MYTH.

It's the slow low skill players that become less effective late in the season and in the playoffs, regardless of size.

They become far less LESS EFFECTIVE, not more effective.

You win with players that possess the following

1.) speed and skill

2.) ability to play both ends of the ice

3.) a highly competitive nature

The most dominate team in the last decade of hockey......DETROIT

Detroit's core

Zetterberg 5' 11" 195 lbs

Datsyuk 5' 11' 194 lbs

Rafalski 5' 10' 194 lbs

Lidstrom 6' 1" 190 lbs

These player DO NOT get pushed around despite the fact that none of them are big players.

Martin St Louis DOES NOT get pushed around in the playoffs.

Danny Briers DOES NOT get pushed around in the playoffs.

Chris Drury DOES NOT get pushed around in the playoffs.

I don't mean to single out Gaustad but he's the player local fans hype beyond all reason , he provides a good illustration of how confused they are and how confused these comments of yours are.

Gaustad has 25 career playoff games without scoring a single goal, he has been a non factor to this point.

And you're worried about skill players?

Looks to me like when the bar is raised low skill gets pushed out by high skill not the other way around.

Smaller players get pushed out of the playoffs?

Myself I don't get hung up on the size of players either way, I know too much about hockey.

The jury is still out on Ennis and Gerbe.

I have a lot of confidence in Kennedy at this point.

This screw ball idea that you seem to have that when the playoffs start somehow big players start dominating skill players is a total myth. I'll repeat TOTAL MYTH.

It's the slow low skill players that become less effective late in the season and in the playoffs, regardless of size.

They become far less LESS EFFECTIVE, not more effective.

You win with players that possess the following

1.) speed and skill

2.) ability to play both ends of the ice

3.) a highly competitive nature

The most dominate team in the last decade of hockey......DETROIT

Detroit's core

Zetterberg 5' 11" 195 lbs

Datsyuk 5' 11' 194 lbs

Rafalski 5' 10' 194 lbs

Lidstrom 6' 1" 190 lbs

These player DO NOT get pushed around despite the fact that none of them are big players.

Martin St Louis DOES NOT get pushed around in the playoffs.

Danny Briers DOES NOT get pushed around in the playoffs.

Chris Drury DOES NOT get pushed around in the playoffs.

I don't mean to single out Gaustad but he's the player local fans hype beyond all reason , he provides a good illustration of how confused they are and how confused these comments of yours are.

Gaustad has 25 career playoff games without scoring a single goal, he has been a non factor to this point.

And you're worried about skill players?

Looks to me like when the bar is raised low skill gets pushed out by high skill not the other way around.

While I agree with your point on Detroit ( I have pointed this out as well) its just as ridulous to state that all big guys become less effective in the playoffs as it is to say that all small guys do. Its just anecdotal and nothing more.

As for you again bringing in Gaustad, it is worth noting that his first 18 games were in his rookie year when he was the fourth center on a team that was loaded and his last 7 came when he returned from injury at the end of that playoff run.

I'm not even sure how much we disagree except for your seeming hatred for Gaustad and belief that faceoffs are somehow irrelevant.

I love Kennedy, think Ennis shows tremendous potential but also think that guys like Ellis, Mair, Gaustad serve a valuable function. Like everything else in life, its all about the right mix, a happy medium if you will. And if you call that hockey speak, well hockey speak like cliche's are such because they are often true.

Archived