Huge hit by Spacek

Two or less

I think these guys are really good at launching their bodies so that the skates don't leave the ice until contact. I don't think it's an issue of contact forcing the skates off the ice. But I'm not a physics major.

Bottom line for me is that Spacek, albeit subtly, made sure his shoulder came up to make contact with the head. The shoulder is driving up and through. A head shot was avoidable. The alternative isn't stopping short like Frank Costanza, or poke-checking, it's putting the shoulder right into the breastbone and (insert Roby catchphrase here).

With regard to the left skate leaving the ice, in this case, that left skate is always going to be the first thing to leave the ice. He lead with the left shoulder, so all his weight shifts to the right leg on contact. If his weight is on his left leg, he'll fall over backwards since there will be nothing bracing him upon impact. I'm not physics expert either, but this much seems like common sense to me.

Anyway, I'm not so sure how he makes a hit and avoids contact to the head. Booth is pretty low already since he's making a cut to his right. Spacek needs to get really low if he's going to get under Booth's head. If he actually manages to get that low, his force is almost guaranteed to be directed upward and he probably gets Booth under the jaw. That probably causes even more damage. The one possibility I can think of is if Spacek pivots then leads with the right shoulder. He probably misses that hit and Booth goes in on net alone.

I just can't see any realistic scenario where he manages to him Booth in the chest. I've been preaching on the head shots for a while now, but I just can't see any way to eliminate this hit from the game.

That hit still happens with the rule in place, the only difference is that the call is made. The only way anyone pulls up on that hit is if they aren't allowed to hit at all. That's when they go all poke check or positional in that situation.
I've been preaching on the head shots for a while now, but I just can't see any way to eliminate this hit from the game.

gotcha -- good points, all.

NHL has put up some vid of legal/illegal hits.

thanks for that.

Do me a favor this afternoon and go out in your backyard and a take a running start at a garbage can or something else as tall as you - an object that will fall down once you hit it, and let me know if your feet, even one of them, come up slightly from the ground.

What am I, Nathan Gerbe?

OK. I'll try it. I'll be right back.

Seriously where are you seeing a head shot....

His shoulder comes up with his momentum...the initial hit was on his upper chest...and gradually with momentum your going to be moving up...

Didn't you learn anything about standing a forward up at the blue line while playing defense in Bantam level hockey....?

There was no head shot, no intent to injure. Spacek was making a sound defensive play, it's called a body check, and it was a damn good one.

It's been described in various media reports as a hit to the head. If my eyes (and media eyes) are deceiving me, so be it.

I think these guys are really good at launching their bodies so that the skates don't leave the ice until contact. I don't think it's an issue of contact forcing the skates off the ice. But I'm not a physics major.

Bottom line for me is that Spacek, albeit subtly, made sure his shoulder came up to make contact with the head. The shoulder is driving up and through. A head shot was avoidable. The alternative isn't stopping short like Frank Costanza, or poke-checking, it's putting the shoulder right into the breastbone and (insert Roby catchphrase here).

I'm just wondering, PA, was there ever a play, that you could show us a video of, where a hit resulted in an injury and you didn't think there was penalty?

For me, this was a clean hit where a guy got hurt. That's hockey.

That Aud Smell's point about the OHL is a good one. shrader, isn't the OHL taking this hit out of its game? Others -- isn't the OHL a physical league? Or is this where guys who are a little light in the loafers like me should go for my hockey fix?

I'm just wondering, PA, was there ever a play, that you could show us a video of, where a hit resulted in an injury and you didn't think there was penalty?

With all due respect, what a dumb question.

That Aud Smell's point about the OHL is a good one. shrader, isn't the OHL taking this hit out of its game? Others -- isn't the OHL a physical league? Or is this where guys who are a little light in the loafers like me should go for my hockey fix?

It depends on what you mean by "taking it out of the game". They call contact to the head, but that exact hit isn't going anywhere. The NCAA has the same rule and you still see that hit all the time. By my definition, the hits that are being taken out are the intentional ones. Those hits where the contact is incidental are still going to happen. Now I know you think this was intentional, but I'm sure you can see what I mean here.

With all due respect, what a dumb question.

I'm just wondering, PA, was there ever a play, that you could show us a video of, where a concussion occured as a result of a big hit and you didn't think there was penalty?

Fixed.

Jut speculating here, but I watched the game and they had a camera set up for the local feed pointed directly at Booth as he went into the locker room. His nose was VERY swollen. I'd bet his nose got busted up real good which made him real woozy and lightheaded similar to a concussion. Given his past concussion I can see why they were extra careful with him not knowing for sure how badly he was hurt.

http://sabres.nhl.tv...tid=35&id=63737

How odd is it to see that the Sabres' have 2 hits on the illegal portion of the video? For such a soft team, it suprised me to see two illegal hits from us.

And now all those years later, Chris Neil's hit on Drury was dirty?? How is Neil gonna' survive in this league going forward. His life is about dirty hits. BTW, did anyone see Neil's loss to Rypien a few weeks back? Nice to see Neil finally lose a bout.

http://sabres.nhl.tv...tid=35&id=63737

For some reason I have problems with the NHL tv thing every now and then.

Here's a Youtube link to the same video, to avoid commercials and crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlPntOMZQRg&feature=sub

Definitely a video to watch if you are unsure what exactly the rule changes are... probably just a video to watch anyway lots of old Good and Bad hits on there.

Jut speculating here, but I watched the game and they had a camera set up for the local feed pointed directly at Booth as he went into the locker room. His nose was VERY swollen. I'd bet his nose got busted up real good which made him real woozy and lightheaded similar to a concussion. Given his past concussion I can see why they were extra careful with him not knowing for sure how badly he was hurt.

Since I was already referred to as Don Cherry in this thread, I might as well play along - his nose was probably swollen because he was wearing a visor... ;)

Wouldn't that create a potential face-on-face hit? Possibly concussing both players? Or breaking bones in the face?

I really think we are starting to ovethink this thing. I am in favor of limiting injuries caused by "cheap" tactics, but I think your accusation of a player in a situation like this takes the individual responsibility out of the game. It's a contact sport...I do not feel that Spacek was sneakily bringing his shoulder up to pop Booth in the head. Your natural inclination on impact is to bring your shoulder up not so much to inflict but to protect. The other guy should be thinking the same way. I think the more you "govern" this type of natural contact out of the league, the more potential injuries there may be...what if the thinking becomes, "hey, I don't have to worry, the rule says he can't hit me in the head"...going in to corners without some kind of awareness of what might happen is just plain foolish and irresponsible. Sorry for disagreeing PA just my opinion.

Archived