Wisniewski suspended 8 games for Seabrook hit

FogBat

That was one of the uglier hits I've seen.Full charging with a good jump thrown in at the head against a player no where near the puck.Apparently these two guys are good buddies as well.There's definately a real disconnect now when it comes to respect between players and teams.On the one hand you've got that old dinasaur Carlyle saying his guy had one of his best games as a duck and praising him for the play and on the other side the coach is saying it's the worst hit he's seen.What has to start happening is teams and fellow players on teams have to start holding each other accountable in the room and in the media for their reckless play rather than towing the company line and sticking up for the idiot regardless of the transgression.They've got to realize that the majority of fans are'nt idiots and can judge between whats o.k. and whats just plain stupid behaviour.The league could have put an end to this with a good suspension to Cooke.The message they're sending to the players is that its o.k. to be reckless,you will not be held accountable.

Brutal, brutal hit. Not sure how the NHL can justify giving him 8 while Ovechkin and Cooke got slaps on the wrist.

The color commentator was brilliant---"is Seabrook selling it right there?" man he was dazed or out cold for a second after original hit.... this kind of crap has no place in the game and it is only a matter of time before an "upper body injury" turns into Died on ice..... the league needs to get a clue and cleanup the game before someone dies on the ice

Brutal, brutal hit. Not sure how the NHL can justify giving him 8 while Ovechkin and Cooke got slaps on the wrist.

He was suspended earlier this year for another run at Shane Doan's head. That was an open ice hit, but the intent is incredibly clear on both hits. Two suspensions in one season for the same type of hit, they're going to go big on the 2nd one.

Ovechkin's two suspensions were for different offenses. That and we all know why they went easy on him. Cooke? The dinosaurs running things haven't died off yet.

I agree the hit was bad, but two points on the hit. The puck looks like it was coming to Seabrook and 2. Seabrook had just thrown and elbow to the head of a Corey Perry at the beginning of the video and he should be suspended too IMO. This is B.S. Just because the guy wasn't hurt doesn't make it allowable. If the league is going to review the play, they should review the whole play and suspend both players otherwise this is a joke....

2. Seabrook had just thrown and elbow to the head of a Corey Perry at the beginning of the video and he should be suspended too IMO.

No, he didn't. He hit Perry with his forearms to the back of his right shoulder, which spun/sent Perry into the boards head first. Dangerous hit, but not an elbow to the head.

That was one of the uglier hits I've seen.Full charging with a good jump thrown in at the head against a player no where near the puck.Apparently these two guys are good buddies as well.There's definately a real disconnect now when it comes to respect between players and teams.On the one hand you've got that old dinasaur Carlyle saying his guy had one of his best games as a duck and praising him for the play and on the other side the coach is saying it's the worst hit he's seen.What has to start happening is teams and fellow players on teams have to start holding each other accountable in the room and in the media for their reckless play rather than towing the company line and sticking up for the idiot regardless of the transgression.They've got to realize that the majority of fans are'nt idiots and can judge between whats o.k. and whats just plain stupid behaviour.The league could have put an end to this with a good suspension to Cooke.The message they're sending to the players is that its o.k. to be reckless,you will not be held accountable.

You know, a similar thought crossed my mind yesterday. You would think that a coach would be ticked at one if his players if they committed a foul that could possibly result in a major or match penalty. A 5 minute penalty can turn a game around or at least fire up the other team. Maybe the coach would even think about sitting the player out himself as an example to the rest of the team not to take stupid penalties. Nah, these days they're letting NASCAR drivers smash into each other at 200 MPH just to settle a disagreement, so why not let hockey players maim each other just for kicks and giggles? I think as time goes on, I would much rather watch videos of old NHL games from 30 years ago than live ones....

No, he didn't. He hit Perry with his forearms to the back of his right shoulder, which spun/sent Perry into the boards head first. Dangerous hit, but not an elbow to the head.

With all do respect, his arm "Seabrook's" is on the guys head as he Perry the check is being finished. The shoulder did make some contact, but it looked to me like the elbow followed through to the head. That is why IMO Wisniewski reacted. Also, it didn't spin him around. Perry was skating backwards to get the puck and Seabrook came in from behind. P.S. I watched Grier give some light taps last night where he could have lit up guys with high body shots and didn't. I still don't see the difference except as a respect issue. And all I am saying is just because there is not an injury, why wasn't Seabrook suspended? The league can't have it both ways.

With all do respect, his arm "Seabrook's" is on the guys head as he Perry the check is being finished. The shoulder did make some contact, but it looked to me like the elbow followed through to the head. That is why IMO Wisniewski reacted. Also, it didn't spin him around. Perry was skating backwards to get the puck and Seabrook came in from behind.

We'll have to agree to disagree. To me, Perry came around behind the net and does the 180 as you mentioned, then Seabrook gives him a hard shove to the shoulder, which continues his spin (about another 90 degrees, so he's basically facing the boards when he hits) and flings him face-first into the glass. It was one of those where a player has momentum, so hitting him is dangerous, because it sends him out of control into the boards. I don't see the follow through after or any hit to the head (other than the one that the glass dished out ;) .)

We'll have to agree to disagree. To me, Perry came around behind the net and does the 180 as you mentioned, then Seabrook gives him a hard shove to the shoulder, which continues his spin (about another 90 degrees, so he's basically facing the boards when he hits) and flings him face-first into the glass. It was one of those where a player has momentum, so hitting him is dangerous, because it sends him out of control into the boards. I don't see the follow through after or any hit to the head (other than the one that the glass dished out ;) .)

I'd like to see another angle on the hit, but yeah, I don't think he hit Perry in the head. It's tough to tell though. Perry definitely turned into it though. They were face to face when Seabrook started to move in for the hit, then Perry turned for the puck. If anything, it's boarding, but that's a tough call to make.

The big difference between the two hits is that Seabrook closed in on a moving target. Wisniewski charged, then jumped into a stationary player. There is no room for arguing intent there.

With all do respect, his arm "Seabrook's" is on the guys head as he Perry the check is being finished. The shoulder did make some contact, but it looked to me like the elbow followed through to the head. That is why IMO Wisniewski reacted. Also, it didn't spin him around. Perry was skating backwards to get the puck and Seabrook came in from behind. P.S. I watched Grier give some light taps last night where he could have lit up guys with high body shots and didn't. I still don't see the difference except as a respect issue. And all I am saying is just because there is not an injury, why wasn't Seabrook suspended? The league can't have it both ways.

Why not? The law does. Punch someone, it's one thing; punch someone and cause a concussion, it's another; punch someone with an eggshell skull, well, it's at least manslaughter. There are arguments both ways, but give me your argument why the NHL should be different.

The dinosaurs running things haven't died off yet.

This afternoon Milbury showed himself, once again, to be one of the dinosaurs in question. He was whining about the "head-shot media" making a big deal of these things happening, saying "that's just part of hockey."

This afternoon Milbury showed himself, once again, to be one of the dinosaurs in question. He was whining about the "head-shot media" making a big deal of these things happening, saying "that's just part of hockey."

He's not a dinosaur, he's an absolute idiot. He is as dumb as the come.

He's not a dinosaur, he's an absolute idiot. He is as dumb as the come.

True. Although I suspect there is a lot of overlap between the two groups, and sadly a lot of them are in management and leadership positions within the league.

The color commentator was brilliant---"is Seabrook selling it right there?" man he was dazed or out cold for a second after original hit.... this kind of crap has no place in the game and it is only a matter of time before an "upper body injury" turns into Died on ice..... the league needs to get a clue and cleanup the game before someone dies on the ice

I heard the commentator, talk about retarded comments, by a stupid old guy that obviously has his head up his own Azz...... :wallbash:

Maybe he meant the hit wasn't a head shot?

Maybe he meant the hit wasn't a head shot?

He seemed to be whining about all the attention head shots have gotten lately and gave me the impression that those hits - head shots included - were "part of the game."

I really, really hate to bring this up, but have you read the account of Bill Masterton?

Archived