Just how bad has it become?

LabattBlue

Are people forgetting the radical change that Bylsma brought to the team?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09172/978635-61.stm

"Bylsma's coaching style stands in stark contrast to the way Therrien led the team. Therrien provided structure and discipline to a young team that needed to learn how to win, but, by February, his message was failing to resonate.

On the ice, Therrien played it safe, teaching a conservative offensive system with special detail paid to defensive responsibilities.

Bylsma tweaked the system and brought a completely different management style. He engineered a change of attitude, encouraging players to have fun and let loose while instituting a high-energy offensive assault that played to the team's strengths."

Hey, I agree totally. I've become so disinterested in the Sabres lately, and this is a perfect demonstration of that. Just bring on the damn playoffs so we can either get bounced out or surprise some folks :thumbsup:

I'm just disinterested in hearing everyone whine about how awful this team is. At this point[0], whining doesn't help so sit back, have a beer, and enjoy the ride. If you can't enjoy the ride, perhaps you should find a new hobby.

[0] One would argue that, being an internet message board, whining never helps. Unless, of course, the players and management are trolling SabreSpace for ideas and/or feedback.

Are people forgetting the radical change that Bylsma brought to the team?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09172/978635-61.stm

"Bylsma's coaching style stands in stark contrast to the way Therrien led the team. Therrien provided structure and discipline to a young team that needed to learn how to win, but, by February, his message was failing to resonate.

On the ice, Therrien played it safe, teaching a conservative offensive system with special detail paid to defensive responsibilities.

Bylsma tweaked the system and brought a completely different management style. He engineered a change of attitude, encouraging players to have fun and let loose while instituting a high-energy offensive assault that played to the team's strengths."

How have you never used this quote in your anti-Ruff crusade until now?

I'm just disinterested in hearing everyone whine about how awful this team is. At this point[0], whining doesn't help so sit back, have a beer, and enjoy the ride. If you can't enjoy the ride, perhaps you should find a new hobby.

I thought that since it wasn't February anymore, we don't have to relax, as a poster stated last month. :D

Pomminstein finally read the "Hit the dam net" thread.

Vanek read the "Thomas Vanish" thread.

Now, we need to start a "You have no skill Drew Stafford" thread and all should be right with the world. ;)

If Vanek read the thread, it didn't register. I thought his play last night was very pedestrian.

Well....the weather is nice enough to take the Harley out of storage, so if the Sabres tank......

One would argue that, being an internet message board, whining never helps. Unless, of course, the players and management are trolling SabreSpace for ideas and/or feedback.

I would pay cash money to see the look on Regier's or Ruff's face as they read some of the comments on this board. At the very least, it may give them a moment's pause to see comments from avowed Sabre fans lambasting them.

If Vanek read the thread, it didn't register. I thought his play last night was very pedestrian.

TINHNT (ask chz), but in a recent game Vanek backchecked like a... like a... I don't know what. He was FLYING! Where is this footspeed going the other way? I hope someone can corroborrate this memory so it's not just the rambling of an old man off his meds. And I don't even care that I butchered the spelling of corroboorrate. OCD be gone!

Here's how it has become (and became even when the Sabres were winning): Mike Schopp asks a very good question. Is this the most hated first-place Sabres team ever?

I am often disgusted by their play, but I can't hate (or, as the youth now say, "hate on") them. There are plenty of areas for improvement, but they have still grown from a group of children who fell apart when they lost their big brothers into (hopefully!) a division winner.

Individually, Miller has turned into a bona fide NHL star and Myers, who doesn't appear to have a ceiling, isn't far behind. I like Rivet and Lydman as the grizzled vets who still play with plenty of guts if not much speed and Grier and Montador as tough veterans who appreciate their positions in the league. Sekera and Butler are works in progress but I believe both are future top-4 stalwarts. And Tallinder's resurgence has been remarkable.

There is plenty to dislike about the forward ranks, but some to like too. I think Kennedy has a bright future here. Certainly Kaleta is a crowd-pleaser. I think he's a legit 3rd-line NHLer and that his role will only grow over time. Gaustad's play has trailed off, but he was one of the best forwards on the team in the 1st half of the season and has very good leadership qualities. The "top 6" have been the biggest disappointments, to be sure, but there are bright spots even there. Between 3 and 5 of them will break 20 goals. Vanek finally seems to be heating up. TC is, amazingly, staying healthy and delivering performance commensurate with his contract.

For me to hate a team, it's gotta have dirty players, selfish players and/or criminals, and the Sabres are pretty clean on those scores.

This team isn't as good as the '05-'06 and '06-'07 teams, and it's not a Cup contender. But another good offseason with another couple of pieces added could get us there.

No I don't know this for a fact. In fact, I don't know any more OR any less than anyone else on this board. I do know that the Penguins GM doesn't seem afraid of trading for players who can help his team. Darcy wants his creampuffs to "grow" within the system. That's why I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter who coaches the f'ing Sabres because Darcy likes 'em soft. Thats what he did when he was with the Islanders and that's what he's doing with the Sabres. v

It's a lot easier to trade for complementary wingers when you have the 2 best centers in the game plus a 3rd who's better than any forward on the Sabres.

Kind of along the lines of what notwoz said, your use of "by" here is, at least, questionable. They brought in Guerin (leadership, grit, scoring) and traded defensive depth (not that Ryan Whitney was their depth defenseman, far from it, but they had depth behind him) for Kunitz (scoring) to finally have enough real wingers in their top six to play with Crosby/Malkin. It's hard to say that the coach was the reason, when they made several moves at the same time. It was probably a little of both, but there's no way to know. Setting aside the seemingly inflated costs this year, if Darcy had traded Butler or Sekera and picks for Matt Cullen and Ray Whitney, wouldn't you have expected a pretty big improvement? A new coach with fresh ideas might help, too, but if you brought those two in and a new coach, would you give all the credit for any "turnaround" to the new coach?

Excellent post, as always. I'd just add that they were missing Gonchar all year and he returned at almost exactly the same time as the coaching change.

Here's how it has become (and became even when the Sabres were winning): Mike Schopp asks a very good question. Is this the most hated first-place Sabres team ever?

It's not hatred. It's Buffalo hockey fans being able to see the team for what it is. A hot goaltender and a bunch of question marks. The Sabres have no one to blame but themselves. They started the off-season with a bogus "thorough evaluation" followed by uninspiring free agent signings and another highly disappointing trade deadline. All the while pointing to the improvement of a "core" that hasn't improved in three seasons. This is a team that constantly has to have closed door player only meetings because this team far to often is not ready to play hockey on game night. Fans are getting frustrated at seeing this team play as if they don't care. The players have to be embarrassed into playing with any passion not to mention there is no sense of self sacrifice for the betterment of the team among the majority of the roster. It's not hatred, it's just reality.

I have noticed after every win there is a seemingly optimistic view of the team. But, as DeLuca and several others have pointed out (correctly, in my assessment I might add) this team is inconsistent and are currently playing in an overall weakened division. As I look at other teams, the guiding principal to see if this club has what it takes or not will be to defeat Pitt, Wash and/or NJ in a 7 game series.

We can all debate which teams we'd like to play, but there is no denying that Wash. and Pitt are much better offensive teams and as such, have the upper hand due to multiple skilled players on their respective rosters.

Miller, although a great goalie to be sure, will be really tested in this environment of the 7 game series.

He has already proven to me in any event, that he still cannot appear to rise to the occasion, the Olympic Gold Medal Game was a prime example of this.

Just calling it as I see it anyways.

I have noticed after every win there is a seemingly optimistic view of the team. But, as DeLuca and several others have pointed out (correctly, in my assessment I might add) this team is inconsistent and are currently playing in an overall weakened division. As I look at other teams, the guiding principal to see if this club has what it takes or not will be to defeat Pitt, Wash and/or NJ in a 7 game series.

We can all debate which teams we'd like to play, but there is no denying that Wash. and Pitt are much better offensive teams and as such, have the upper hand due to multiple skilled players on their respective rosters.

Miller, although a great goalie to be sure, will be really tested in this environment of the 7 game series.

He has already proven to me in any event, that he still cannot appear to rise to the occasion, the Olympic Gold Medal Game was a prime example of this.

Just calling it as I see it anyways.

Miller doesn't *need* to "rise to the occasion", his usual level of play is sufficient to win a playoff series, just as it was sufficient to keep an outplayed Team USA in the gold medal game long enough for them to tie the game up and take it to OT.

I agree though, he's not good enough to carry the team on his back to a cup, but not even Hasek in his absolute prime managed to do that, so what exactly are we expecting?

Now, if just some of the "The Core" would lend a helping hand, it would most likely be a different situation. THEY need to "rise to the occasion", Miller just needs to be Miller.

Miller doesn't *need* to "rise to the occasion", his usual level of play is sufficient to win a playoff series, just as it was sufficient to keep an outplayed Team USA in the gold medal game long enough for them to tie the game up and take it to OT.

I agree though, he's not good enough to carry the team on his back to a cup, but not even Hasek in his absolute prime managed to do that, so what exactly are we expecting?

Now, if just some of the "The Core" would lend a helping hand, it would most likely be a different situation. THEY need to "rise to the occasion", Miller just needs to be Miller.

"Miller just being Miller" gives the Sabres a puncher's chance in the playoffs this year. Which is why I, and many others, were hoping for Regier to act nothing like Darcy Regier and be aggressive and make some moves to improve the roster of players in front of Miller. Something a bit more significant than dumping a nothing player like MacArthur and picking up Torres who has the physical style I can appreciate but was vastly over rated as a offensive force. He is heading for only his third 20+ goal campaign.

Gaustad's play has trailed off, but he was one of the best forwards on the team in the 1st half of the season and has very good leadership qualities.

It started to 'tail off' long before the first half, try the first quarter.

He has good leadership qualities?

Based on what?

The "top 6" have been the biggest disappointments, to be sure.

All of the top 6 players are plus players.

All the minus forwards play on the 3rd and 4th lines.

TC is, amazingly, staying healthy and delivering performance commensurate with his contract.

According to you Stall is better than Tim Connolly.

It started to 'tail off' long before the first half, try the first quarter.

He has good leadership qualities?

Based on what?

All of the top 6 players are plus players.

All the minus forwards play on the 3rd and 4th lines.

According to you Stall is better than Tim Connolly.

my statement about Gaustad is based on the fact that when he's on the ice, he's in the middle of every scrum and will fight to back up a teammate. There are only a few sabres who will do so.

Regarding the top 6 -- do you think any of them has had a good season other than Hecht?

Regarding Staal -- I'm not sure which of the Staals you are referring to, but I would trade TC for any of them in a heartbeat. Would you not do so?

my statement about Gaustad is based on the fact that when he's on the ice, he's in the middle of every scrum and will fight to back up a teammate. There are only a few sabres who will do so.

Wasn't it Connolly who was the only Sabre to retaliate the one episode where Miller was run and injured.

Gaustad did nothing, so how was he a 'leader' (if that is what you say your criteria for a leader is)?

Not a peep out of Gaustad.

Gaustad has a grand total of 4 majors for the season in case you weren't aware.

Majors don't necessarily mean a fighting major, so at most he was in 4 fights this season.

4!

A grand total of 4!

How many of those 4 fights (if all 4 majors are fights) can be defined as him stepping in for someone else in the tradition of players like Rob Rsy?

I can only recall one case this season when he dropped the gloves in reply to an opposing player taking liberties with a Sabres (miller).

So to be clear these 4 fights coupled with a willingness , like most every other Sabres, to push and shove in a scrum, is what separates him as a leader?

By your criteria Andrew Peters is the departed leader of the Sabres/

Regarding the top 6 -- do you think any of them has had a good season other than Hecht?

Do you think any of the bottom 6 has had a good season outside of Kaleta?

Regarding Staal -- I'm not sure which of the Staals you are referring to, but I would trade TC for any of them in a heartbeat. Would you not do so?

You mentioned Pittsburgh's 3rd line center as being better than any Buffalo forward, so you should know which Stall you referred to.

LOL, at least I assumed you did.

Wasn't it Connolly who was the only Sabre to retaliate the one episode where Miller was run and injured.

Gaustad did nothing, so how was he a 'leader' (if that is what you say your criteria for a leader is)?

Not a peep out of Gaustad.

Gaustad has a grand total of 4 majors for the season in case you weren't aware.

Majors don't necessarily mean a fighting major, so at most he was in 4 fights this season.

4!

A grand total of 4!

How many of those 4 fights (if all 4 majors are fights) can be defined as him stepping in for someone else in the tradition of players like Rob Rsy?

I can only recall one case this season when he dropped the gloves in reply to an opposing player taking liberties with a Sabres (miller).

So to be clear these 4 fights coupled with a willingness , like most every other Sabres, to push and shove in a scrum, is what separates him as a leader?

By your criteria Andrew Peters is the departed leader of the Sabres/

You've seriously lost it man. There's so much wrong with this post it's not even funny. I'm not even gonna waste my time responding to this.

Archived