Just how bad has it become?

LabattBlue

If Lindy goes, I'd ditch Darcy too (in the offseason).

A coaching change would have an immediate impact on the team, hopefully snapping the team out of its' current funk. One thing cannot be argued against: This squad is stale. The players look complacent, and they seem to be tired of the brand of hockey they're being forced to play.

I'm not saying Lindy Ruff isn't a good coach; I'm simply stating this batch of players doesn't mesh well with him. Had a different squad been assembled, perhaps Lindy could have had greater success. But as it currently stands in this league, it's easier to switch coaches than switch players. If Lindy isn't getting the most out of our team, then we have to switch things up. No hard feelings.

Bring in a new coach that preaches an up-tempo play style. I'd love to see this team be more aggressive on the forecheck, taking the battle to the other team. I'd love to see the players open up a bit more, have a little more offensive creativity. As it stands now, it seems like the entire team is afraid of making a mistake. Players can't play with fear; they need to play with confidence. Because of their fear, they play on their heels. And because everyone seems to be so nervous and afraid on the ice, it results in sloppy, lackluster play.

The biggest point I can make about just how hard our offense has fallen is the Power Play. It has reached god-awful level. Let's look at our power play leaders last year, compared to this year:

-Derek Roy Last Season: 9PPG, 21PPA.

-Derek Roy This Season: 6PPG, 11PPA.

-Thomas Vanek Last Season (in 73 games): 20PPG, 6PPA.

-Thomas Vanek This Season (in 63 games): 9PPG, 7PPA.

-Pommers Last Season: 6PPG, 18PPA.

-Pommers This Season: 7PPG, 9PPA.

-TC Last Season (in 48 games): 5PPG, 13PPA.

-TC This Season (in 68 games): 5PPG, 20PPA.

With the exception of Connolly (whom is difficult to discuss without getting into injury discussions), the drop in Roy Vanek and Pommer's power play points speaks volumes about our offensive capability.

Now, I'll be the first to admit the above comparison isn't completely compelling. After all, the season isn't over yet (we have what, 14 games remaining?). But if the Sabres continue at their current pace on the PP, the numbers won't change that much.

Fact is, the Sabres aren't scoring. They seem to be fearful of committing a mistake on the ice, thus they play on their heels. Instead of dictating the game and bringing the fight to the other team, they play a defensive based system that has gone stale. Their fear messes with their confidence, resulting in poor passing, lackluster effort and sloppy overall play.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Darcy won't fire Lindy. I guess only time will tell if Lindy's system will find more success in the playoffs than it has had in the past 21 games.

What new GM would want to be saddled with Lindy? The minute LQ tells the GM candidate he can't pick his own coach, end of conversation, unless you're a desperate eunuch like Darce.

I'm not a Lindy basher like many on these boards because the team's problems go beyond the coach. My point is if the Sabres fire Lindy and keep Darcy, the next coach is stuck with the same marshmallows that Lindy has to deal with. The Sabres have become the NHL equivalent of the Sta-Puft marshmallow man and it doesn't matter who the coach is. The next coach will have the same outcome -- one disappointing season after another.

Not much to add at this point, except I think one of the first early posts said we should not go back to the old logo - this seems like a good opportunity to hijack this thread and bring it back to something more pressing like unis and logos! Bring back the crossed swords I say! ;)

The next coach will have the same outcome -- one disappointing season after another.

You know this for a fact? I wonder how many people in Pittsburgh thought their season would turn around by hiring a coach nobody had previously heard of by the name of Bylsma?

It's only March... every team goes through periods like this... this slump isn't the worst thing in the world... they'll learn from it... besides, don't you guys ever watch other teams? We don't have it that bad...

:censored:

That's a good one Lola...

Detroit is the measuring stick, but I can't help but point out that the original building block of what they have become was Yzerman, the 4th overall pick in 83. And as a minor tanget, take a look at the first two picks of that draft, then look at the next 3. Ouch.

There's a limit on the number of AHL callups post-trade deadline. That's going to limit their options, as they don't want to get stuck in a spot where they need a player but can't call anyone up. Yes, they're allowed emergency callups, but that doesn't apply when they have 11 healthy forwards and a 12th who is only out for a day or two.

Maybe we can send Tonya Harding and a tire iron after some of our guys (Stafford, Mair, Ellis, Butler, etc. etc.) to get some decent call-ups because it's not happening with these guys.

What new GM would want to be saddled with Lindy? The minute LQ tells the GM candidate he can't pick his own coach, end of conversation, unless you're a desperate eunuch like Darce.

The scariest part of this post is Larry Quinn interviewing GM candidates. The Sabres are in the same boat the Bills where last season. Sure, it was a good idea to fire Jouron and hire a actual GM. Who was in charge of replacing them? It wasn't someone with any NFL insight or knowledge. What did the Bills end up with? Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey :doh: With no competent leader at the top of the Sabres organization the best you could hope for in any replacements are the Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey equivalent in the NHL.

The scariest part of this post is Larry Quinn interviewing GM candidates. The Sabres are in the same boat the Bills where last season. Sure, it was a good idea to fire Jouron and hire a actual GM. Who was in charge of replacing them? It wasn't someone with any NFL insight or knowledge. What did the Bills end up with? Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey :doh: With no competent leader at the top of the Sabres organization the best you could hope for in any replacements are the Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey equivalent in the NHL.

Mike Milbury and Terry O'Reilly?

I was thinking about what Torres has been eluding to recently in regards to our system being "mentally challenging". What if he's on to something?? What if maybe Lindy's system is asking the players on the ice to think too much instead of just playing the game?

I've noticed a lot of our problems include poor passing, too many passes, and/or hesitation.

Maybe the same could be said for our D. Perhaps we pinch too much, or ask the D to jump in on offense, i.e. cutting to the net, etc.

Not sure any of this has merit, but it did make me stop and wonder if his issues with adapting to our play could be an overall team issue and the other guys just aren't talking publicly about it.

I will truly never understand how any of the players can make this statement when all we here from them and the coaching staff is that they are telling the players to "Simplify the System".

I too have noticed the very poor passing, that's not a systems problem, thats a players problem. If you cannot make a simple sound judgement on a pass, then go back to the AHL or take a summer camp please.

As for other problems, here's what is the most notables that I have seen, in no particular order:

1. Our goalies cannot handle a puck to save their lives. Please, just stay in net, you guys suck with a stick.

2. Defensemen getting bogged down and hemmed up in their own end. Forcing them to do circles while they wait for help to come back to them. This problem is actually 2 fold in my opinion. If you can't get around 1 guy with the puck, go back to the AHL or go to a summer camp training session. If the players on the ice haven't figured this out in 60 some odd games and corrected it, your idiots, period. Position yourselves for shorter passes and move your legs, try to make a simple decision by looking at potential open areas and get there.

3. Entering the zone should not look like a monkey f**king a football 80% of the time. Its just ridiculous, some of these players have stick handling ability, how about using it.

Right now, I see the following:

(Insert player name here) up along the boards, gets pinched off the puck, has no support almost every time.

(Insert player name here) dumps the puck into the zone but all of the Sabres players are standing still at the blue line or barely move, 1 in roughly 20 times do I see a player charge into the zone at full speed for a dump in and normally, as sad as this truth is, its Kaleta or Mair.

4. Pinching defensemen, outside of Myers and Sekera I wouldn't let any of these @ssclowns pinch, they don't have the speed to get back and more times than not it turns into an opponents odd man rush situation. I understand the concept and it does appear forwards such as Connolly inherently understand the need to cover the point when this happens, but then, as that D man pinches, I notice something that goes hand in hand with this, A TRUE LACK OF ABILITY TO MAINTAIN CONTROL OF THE PUCK. That, to me in any event, is indicative of poor player positioning, team mates not moving their legs or just coasting and a real lack of helping one another.

5. Snipers. Do we even have any one on this team who can accurately find the twine? I mean really, how many times have I seen Pomminstein miss the net? I must have seen atleast 3 to 4 dozen just purely missed open nets. The puck was bouncing or it was on edge, blah, blah, blah (insert excuse here). Consistent contributors on other teams don't have these problems this often. To me anyways, thats one of two things, a lack of focus or a lack of skill to finish. Either way, were screwed. You have to put the puck in the net, period.

Most Games Coached with One Franchise

Al Arbour, NYI 1500

Billy Reay, CHI 1012

Lindy Ruff, BUF 971

Jack Adams, DET 964

Toe Blake, MTL 914

Most Career Wins with One Franchise

Al Arbour, NYI 740

Billy Reay, CHI 516

Toe Blake, MTL 500

Lindy Ruff, BUF 474

Glen Sather, EDM 464

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCMA_5nK_G0

Yeah, how dare those slackers in our front office not get their ball chosen instead of Pittsburgh's! :rolleyes:

I don't like our front office either, but Pittsburgh won the lottery on Crosby and sucked badly enough to get Malkin (and Staal and Fleury.) Compare them to a team that actually built itself like a normal franchise. Like, I don't know, the Red Wings or, if you consider Miller good enough, the Devils.

Let's not leave out Lemieux and Jagr too. They sucked badly to land both of those players too. Each of the players listed above, Buffalo had no shot of landing any of them. Pittsburgh has had the incredible luck of sucking at just the right time. I guess some might call it a talent.

Buffalo had the same number of balls in that lottery as Pittsburgh.

Most Games Coached with One Franchise

Al Arbour, NYI 1500

Billy Reay, CHI 1012

Lindy Ruff, BUF 971

Jack Adams, DET 964

Toe Blake, MTL 914

Most Career Wins with One Franchise

Al Arbour, NYI 740

Billy Reay, CHI 516

Toe Blake, MTL 500

Lindy Ruff, BUF 474

Glen Sather, EDM 464

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCMA_5nK_G0

Aw gee Uncle PA my head hurts from you making me think so much.

My answer; The only one who hasn't won a championship doesn't belong.

Back to thread title.... Just how bad has it become...

People on the team blog site are starting threads for Sushi :ph34r:

Sorry CD couldn't let that softball get by w/o swinging at it.

Hey, I agree totally. I've become so disinterested in the Sabres lately, and this is a perfect demonstration of that. Just bring on the damn playoffs so we can either get bounced out or surprise some folks :thumbsup:

Here's how it has become (and became even when the Sabres were winning): Mike Schopp asks a very good question. Is this the most hated first-place Sabres team ever?

Hhmmm, most hated No not for me. Unlikeable,underwhelming, not satisfifed with the way they have won a lot considering the effort and overall team play regardless of result. Bingo.

Remember the goal was stated earlier to win a Stanley cup not just win. This team will not win a cup playing the way they have been and you cannot just turn IT(desire,execution,pride)on and off whenever. For me its that simple.

Here's how it has become (and became even when the Sabres were winning): Mike Schopp asks a very good question. Is this the most hated first-place Sabres team ever?

I posted something similar earlier in the season worded "This is just not a likeable team other than Miller, Myers and Kaleta".

I don't know if I hate them - definitely undewhelmed, but hate is strong - but they do amaze me ... or really, the situation does. How a team can be so bad for so long, yet somehow continue to stay in first place amazes me. It's like they fall asleep until they get bumped from behind. Then, they take a step foward and go back to sleep. At least they'll be well rested for the playoff, right? ;)

I don't know if I hate them - definitely undewhelmed, but hate is strong - but they do amaze me ... or really, the situation does. How a team can be so bad for so long, yet somehow continue to stay in first place amazes me. It's like they fall asleep until they get bumped from behind. Then, they take a step foward and go back to sleep. At least they'll be well rested for the playoff, right? ;)

Or the entire division sucks... ######, the entire eastern conference.

You know this for a fact? I wonder how many people in Pittsburgh thought their season would turn around by hiring a coach nobody had previously heard of by the name of Bylsma?

No I don't know this for a fact. In fact, I don't know any more OR any less than anyone else on this board. I do know that the Penguins GM doesn't seem afraid of trading for players who can help his team. Darcy wants his creampuffs to "grow" within the system. That's why I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter who coaches the f'ing Sabres because Darcy likes 'em soft. Thats what he did when he was with the Islanders and that's what he's doing with the Sabres. v

Kind of along the lines of what notwoz said, your use of "by" here is, at least, questionable. They brought in Guerin (leadership, grit, scoring) and traded defensive depth (not that Ryan Whitney was their depth defenseman, far from it, but they had depth behind him) for Kunitz (scoring) to finally have enough real wingers in their top six to play with Crosby/Malkin. It's hard to say that the coach was the reason, when they made several moves at the same time. It was probably a little of both, but there's no way to know. Setting aside the seemingly inflated costs this year, if Darcy had traded Butler or Sekera and picks for Matt Cullen and Ray Whitney, wouldn't you have expected a pretty big improvement? A new coach with fresh ideas might help, too, but if you brought those two in and a new coach, would you give all the credit for any "turnaround" to the new coach?

Kind of along the lines of what notwoz said, your use "by" here is at least questionable. They brought in Guerin (leadership, grit, scoring) and traded defensive depth (not that Ryan Whitney was their depth defenseman, far from it, but they had depth behind him) for Kunitz (scoring) to finally have enough real wingers in their top six to play with Crosby/Malkin. It's hard to say that the coach was the reason, when they made several moves at the same time. It was probably a little of both, but there's no way to know. Setting aside the seemingly inflated costs this year, if Darcy had traded Butler or Sekera and picks for Matt Cullen and Ray Whitney, wouldn't you have expected a pretty big improvement? A new coach with fresh ideas might help, too, but if you brought those two in and a new coach, would you give all the credit for any "turnaround" to the new coach?

Fair enough. I just don't buy the suggestion mentioned in another post that no matter what coach replaces Lindy, it will be more of the same.

Archived