Versus back on DirecTv!!!!!

theesir

haha! And so goes my life...

I am a DirecTv customer who had local cable installed two weeks ago so I could be sure and have the playoffs.

Now I have satellite and cable, both with Versus, but only DirectTv offers Center Ice.

crazy.

:wallbash:

So when does the inevitable rate increase come?

That would be up to Comcast, which owns Versus -- but till then, hot damn! I flipped to Versus this afternoon and lo and behold there was a picture, but it was a bicycle race. I figured with my luck, it was a glitch and someone would have noticed by the time tonight's hockey game came on. But so far it's Game On!

haha! And so goes my life...

I am a DirecTv customer who had local cable installed two weeks ago so I could be sure and have the playoffs.

Now I have satellite and cable, both with Versus, but only DirectTv offers Center Ice.

crazy.

:wallbash:

I just had TW install a box about a month ago. It's already been disconnected and I'm taking it back tomorrow. I HATE their DVR, BTW.

Woot!

Along the same lines, the FCC closed the cable companies' "terrestrial loophole".

Linky

This is what Comcast was using to deny us DirectTV subscribers the HD MSG feed on CI.

"The satellite and phone companies complain that big cable TV operators have used the terrestrial loophole to deny them access to must-have programming, particularly popular sports programming."

"Cablevision won't let U-Verse or Verizon's FiOS service carry the high-definition version of Cablevision's Madison Square Garden networks, which show the games of the New York Knicks, Rangers and Islanders and the New Jersey Devils."

Hopefully this means the HD MSG feed will be back soon so I don't have to choose between Rick and HD anymore, if I get HD at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any idea why versus still says "channel not purhcased. (721)" on my TV? I'm a DirecTV customer. I know it's a random question but I'm wondering if any other DirecTV customers are having/had this issue.

What tier or package of channels do you have?

Basic I believe. But I had versus before the whole DirecTV-Versus debacle. Did they change who gets versus since they reached an agreement?

I don't know if they changed it, but you need Choice Xtra. You must have Choice. They keep changing the names of their tiers, so it gets confusing.

Along the same lines, the FCC closed the cable companies' "terrestrial loophole".

Linky

This is what Comcast was using to deny us DirectTV subscribers the HD MSG feed on CI.

"The satellite and phone companies complain that big cable TV operators have used the terrestrial loophole to deny them access to must-have programming, particularly popular sports programming."

"Cablevision won't let U-Verse or Verizon's FiOS service carry the high-definition version of Cablevision's Madison Square Garden networks, which show the games of the New York Knicks, Rangers and Islanders and the New Jersey Devils."

Hopefully this means the HD MSG feed will be back soon so I don't have to choose between Rick and HD anymore, if I get HD at all.

No, this post is incorrect.

The MSG HD on Center Ice issue had nothing to do with the FCC ruling and would not have been effected in the least. Plus, Comcast has nothing to do with MSG HD on Center Ice.

The ruling pertains to Comcast and MSG's practice of withholding access to certain programs (CSN Philly in SD and HD, MSG in HD) from other providers because they do not distribute thei signal via satellite - they use terrestrial means (such as fiber optic or microwave). The case of CSN Philly Comcast has refused to make it available to providers such as Dish or DirecTV, but has made it available to RCN and Verizion FiOS (in both SD and HD). MSG in SD is distributed via satellite, hence why Dish, FiOS, DirecTV, etc all have access. But the HD feed is not - it's distributed via Fiber optics. MSG has chosen, for whatever reason, to make it available to DirecTV in HD (DirecTV actually gets the feed directly from the HSBC arena).

If the ruling by the FCC becomes law, MSG and Comcast will not longer have the option to do business with whoever they want to (as they do now) but will be forced to provide access to terrestrially distributed content at market rates.

Archived