GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

nfreeman

I have reading comprehension problems as well. I initially interpreted that as a goal that was not counted. So basically, the puck went into the netting behind the net above the back boards, but the whistle wasn't blown. Yeah, that's not that big of a deal. In fact, I imagine that happens at least once a game where everyone misses the puck going out of play and into the netting. I bet it happens a lot more than we realize.

RJ has argued in the past for allowing play to continue. It's a little Arena Football-ish, but I wouldn't mind.

I also wouldn't mind making the puck out of play delay of game call discretionary again. I shudder at the thought of losing a playoff series on a call like that, but what are the odds of that happening? :wallbash:

Maybe it's time for the Sabres to hire a GM who can identify NHL-level talent instead of AHL-level talent.

It's very easy to make a statement like that. However, when they're riding a winning streak, then most talk like that stops - unless, of course, you've been a diehard fan for the past 40 years and can remember when Gilbert Perreault was the first draft pick. Then, you remain cynical of anything positive coming our way because you know that there's going to be a let down and you won't rest until we finally get the Cup (but that's if we ever get it).

Edit: I'm not speaking to you personally, notwoz. Some of them whom I'm referring to know who they are.

Very frustrated that Mancari was sent back down. :wallbash:

If a player is on a roll, and is positively influencing those around him, you keep him up. Strike while the iron is hot, and let it ride.

We effectively sabotaged a line to bring back Paul Gaustad. Honestly, is there much difference between Gaustad and Matt Ellis? :unsure:

Someone should have sat for Mancari.

If a player is on a roll, and is positively influencing those around him, you keep him up. Strike while the iron is hot, and let it ride.

We effectively sabotaged a line to bring back Paul Gaustad. Honestly, is there much difference between Gaustad and Matt Ellis? :unsure:

I agree, this was a strange move.

Strange move, awful move. All the same. Stupid and I'll bet it was based on $$$. Why not let Gaustad sit a little longer while Mancari was hot? Stupid.

No argument there, and if "developing from within" is the goal of the franchise, then it makes even less sense.

I agree, this was a strange move.

Strange move, awful move. All the same. Stupid and I'll bet it was based on $$$. Why not let Gaustad sit a little longer while Mancari was hot? Stupid.

No argument there, and if "developing from within" is the goal of the franchise, then it makes even less sense.

Goli found a cheap ticket for Mancari on Priceline, but he had to return on the 13th.

Not to rain on anyone's parade (or lynching, as it may be in this case), but ...

13.12 Transfers To/From Minors.

(m) Emergency Recall.

(i) A player on loan to a Club of any league affiliated with the League may be recalled from such loan under emergency conditions at any time for the duration of the

emergency only following which he must be returned promptly to the club from which he was recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its players is reduced below the level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the

incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

Stafford and Gaustad being out brought them to 11 forwards, so they were able to bring up Manacari on Emergency Recall, avoiding waivers and not counting against the limited # of recalls. When Guastad returned the emergency was over and they were forced to return Mancari the AHL. If Darcy were really cheap, he (indirectly, through Lindy) would not have scratched Butler and, instead, played Montador or Sekera at the wing again (they count as defensemen for roster count purposes, but are capable of playing at forward.)

RJ has argued in the past for allowing play to continue. It's a little Arena Football-ish, but I wouldn't mind.

I also wouldn't mind making the puck out of play delay of game call discretionary again. I shudder at the thought of losing a playoff series on a call like that, but what are the odds of that happening? :wallbash:

I prefer the mandatory rule. The officials have proven to me over the last 30 years that the less left to their discretion, the better.

Not to rain on anyone's parade (or lynching, as it may be in this case), but ...

Stafford and Gaustad being out brought them to 11 forwards, so they were able to bring up Manacari on Emergency Recall, avoiding waivers and not counting against the limited # of recalls. When Guastad returned the emergency was over and they were forced to return Mancari the AHL. If Darcy were really cheap, he (indirectly, through Lindy) would not have scratched Butler and, instead, played Montador or Sekera at the wing again (they count as defensemen for roster count purposes, but are capable of playing at forward.)

So, are there any conditions under which the Sabres can bench Stafford and play Mancari?

Thanks, that's good information. Questions though; does anyone know how many roster moves we have left w/o emergency or is it they have to waive somebody again if it's not an emergency ? Naturally to follow would be is when to use them, who to call up, who to waive/send down and wouldn't it make sense to allow said players time to adjust to the NHL style of play and the player's they may be best suited to play with.

As for last nights game I may have drank the DD koolaid but I thought they played a pretty good game last night considering several things;

-2nd of back to backs record with team has not been kind,

-Myers battling/clearing Holstrom in front of the net several times was a very welcome sign,

-After a shaky start Miller settled down and played solid, (I chalk that up to hometime stage jitters),

-The 1st 2 detroit goals really looked like a couple of bounces going their way,

-After seeing him in the Olympics Rafalski is the real deal, I would love to have on this team, that shot was a lasar and had eyes. Having seen it before that is skilled,(Maybe if he does a kids summer camp like a lot of hockey players LR could send our defense core to his camp).

-If we had made it through OT who here really expected this team to win the SO ? (thankfully no SO's in Playoffs)

I'll take the point and watch how this team performs in the games coming up in the NE on the teams below them. I would expect them to play the way they did last 50 minutes and solid against those especially the 2 against the Sens.

I prefer the mandatory rule. The officials have proven to me over the last 30 years that the less left to their discretion, the better.

+1.

Regarding the limited # of recalls -- I'd be curious for more info on this. Also, does the limit extend to the playoffs? There are only 16 games left in the regular season, so I don't think we'll need too many more "optional" recalls.

So who said Gaustad HAD to return last night? Stupid. Play with the system a little. Other teams do all the time. It's always about money. Dammit!

No, if it were always about money, Mancari never would have come up. Butler would have played and Montador or Sekera would have moved up to the wing.

We sat Afinogenov last season for many more games than his injury demanded. Wasn't there an article quoting Maxim saying he was ready to come back, but the Sabres kept fudging reports saying he was "injured"?

Something tells me that they wanted Goose back, while if the report about Max is true, it was because they didn't want him back.

Also worth noting is the for most of the third period, Vanek and Mancari didn't even play on the same line. Vanek was moved up with Connolly and Pominville, while various players (Kaleta, Mair, etc.) took turns on Roy's wing with Mark. Mancari was not on the ice for either of Vanek's goals, either.

Archived