GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

nfreeman

oh well. at least they got a point out of the deal. but I must say this team isn't giving me much optimism

Seriously... what happened to the team that had us all thinking long playoff run back in October and November?? :(

This looked like an NHL team against an AHL team. Usually looks like that when the Sabres go to Detroit, so I wasn't surprised. Good point, I guess.

I posted this on the discussion thread for last night's game, but it is unfortunately still relevant:

At the game I overheard something a Wild fan behind me said (and sadly I could not disagree): "This is the third best team in the Eastern Conference??" :bag:

This looked like an NHL team against an AHL team. Usually looks like that when the Sabres go to Detroit, so I wasn't surprised. Good point, I guess.

No, It didn't look quite like that, and the last time they played (granted, not in Michigan), the Sabs freaking killed 'em. But of course, the negative hyperbole has to come from somewhere.

The game sucked. But NHL v AHL? Come on, PA. You're being silly.

Maybe it's time for the Sabres to hire a GM who can identify NHL-level talent instead of AHL-level talent.

I posted this on the discussion thread for last night's game, but it is unfortunately still relevant:

At the game I overheard something a Wild fan behind me said (and sadly I could not disagree): "This is the third best team in the Eastern Conference??" :bag:

Last night, that comment would have been apt.

Once again why I think that a puck over the boards should be treated like an icing: no change with a defensive zone faceoff. That should not be a penalty and, yes, I feel the same way when the opposition does it, too.

I have no problem with it being a penalty. It is called consistently, and tonight, it was Calder. Tomorrow night, it will be someone else.

I also have no problem if they decide to make it not a penalty anymore, but tonight, it was, and Calder did it. So, yeah, he sat.

No, It didn't look quite like that, and the last time they played (granted, not in Michigan), the Sabs freaking killed 'em. But of course, the negative hyperbole has to come from somewhere.

The game sucked. But NHL v AHL? Come on, PA. You're being silly.

That's just the way I feel when Detroit keeps the puck on a string and plays keepaway -- and the Sabres can't complete two passes in a row. Also, I bet the Sabres lost 75% of the one on one battles in this game. Look at it this way: do the Sabres have a game-winning play like the Rafalski goal in their repertoire?

Wow, here's one for those think the Sabres never get an officiating break.

From Vogl's game blog:

Of note: The buzz here in the press box is an FSN Detroit replay. A few seconds before Hecht's tying goal, a Red Wings shot was deflected over Miller -- and clearly into the net behind the Buffalo goal. But the whistle never blew. Montador set up behind the net, passed to Rivet and the Sabres took off down ice, with Rivet making the pass to send Connolly away. Quite a break.

That's just the way I feel when Detroit keeps the puck on a string and plays keepaway -- and the Sabres can't complete two passes in a row. Also, I bet the Sabres lost 75% of the one on one battles in this game. Look at it this way: do the Sabres have a game-winning play like the Rafalski goal in their repertoire?

A set play, do you mean? Or a player who can get it in the net? Because the latter actually has happened a few times this year, and even last year. But a set play? I don't know. I doubt that any of us know.

ON EDIT: When the "who from the USA team do you want" poll was out, I was all over Rafa. Still am. That guy does kick ######.

Wow, here's one for those think the Sabres never get an officiating break.

From Vogl's game blog:

Of note: The buzz here in the press box is an FSN Detroit replay. A few seconds before Hecht's tying goal, a Red Wings shot was deflected over Miller -- and clearly into the net behind the Buffalo goal. But the whistle never blew. Montador set up behind the net, passed to Rivet and the Sabres took off down ice, with Rivet making the pass to send Connolly away. Quite a break.

Just in case anyone else has reading comprehension problems like me -- the net they are talking about is the mesh. I read this as a goal that wasn't counted. A break, but I wouldn't say "quite a break."

Just in case anyone else has reading comprehension problems like me -- the net they are talking about is the mesh. I read this as a goal that wasn't counted. A break, but I wouldn't say "quite a break."

I have reading comprehension problems as well. I initially interpreted that as a goal that was not counted. So basically, the puck went into the netting behind the net above the back boards, but the whistle wasn't blown. Yeah, that's not that big of a deal. In fact, I imagine that happens at least once a game where everyone misses the puck going out of play and into the netting. I bet it happens a lot more than we realize.

A set play, do you mean? Or a player who can get it in the net? Because the latter actually has happened a few times this year, and even last year. But a set play? I don't know. I doubt that any of us know.

ON EDIT: When the "who from the USA team do you want" poll was out, I was all over Rafa. Still am. That guy does kick ######.

I think I just wanted to type the word "repertoire." I am a lonely man.

I guess Vanek needed Mancari tonight.

You know, that line looked much less effective tonight. And I hate to say it, but Kaleta got a shot with them and did not look ready for prime time. I would bring Manco back and sit Ellis or Mair.

Archived