GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Well, I thought the Sabres played pretty well. The difference in the game was goaltending. Minny got excellent goaltending and the Sabres got substandard goaltending. That's how it goes sometimes.

If anyone has the time or inclination, I'd be curious to see how many teams with a clear #1 (the way Miller is the Sabres' #1) really do get better goaltending from their backups than the Sabres get from Lalime. I'm sure there are some, but I suspect there aren't that many that get substantially better. In any case, the 2-year contract Lalime got was a blunder that DR is accountable for.

I think the stat that would be telling would not be just won loss but how many goals against vs how many their team scored in the win.

They need to stop turning back into their own zone -- or down below the goal line, like in the final minute. Maybe they misunderstand the term "north south game." Seriously, they do it alot, and it's maddening.

THIS. I did not get to see the game last night till 3 minutes into the 3rd period just as Vanek scored on the PP. Watching alamo mode in the 3rd I noted them doing this and not well either because Minn forecheck ended up with some chances when they jumped on them and they didn't look like they expected that. Like hey excuse me aren't you with the lead supposed to wait for us to skate it up the ice? I think this is some misguided attempt to get their system set for our practiced break out. From the scrambly way they play most nights I would rather see them press the play NORTH SOUTH as you say and as they did earlier in the season. From what I have seen this team plays better when they play a reaction press style than the thinking mans game anyways. I wonder what the teams average IQ is compared to other's maybe thats a better predicator of the style of play this team is capable of than what LR is currently doing.

So now since everybody loses now and then how are they going to respond. Time to find out.

They need to stop turning back into their own zone -- or down below the goal line, like in the final minute. Maybe they misunderstand the term "north south game." Seriously, they do it alot, and it's maddening.

It's been maddening for quite some time. I won't say for how many years but you can guess.

THIS. I did not get to see the game last night till 3 minutes into the 3rd period just as Vanek scored on the PP. Watching alamo mode in the 3rd I noted them doing this and not well either because Minn forecheck ended up with some chances when they jumped on them and they didn't look like they expected that. Like hey excuse me aren't you with the lead supposed to wait for us to skate it up the ice? I think this is some misguided attempt to get their system set for our practiced break out. From the scrambly way they play most nights I would rather see them press the play NORTH SOUTH as you say and as they did earlier in the season. From what I have seen this team plays better when they play a reaction press style than the thinking mans game anyways. I wonder what the teams average IQ is compared to other's maybe thats a better predicator of the style of play this team is capable of than what LR is currently doing.

So now since everybody loses now and then how are they going to respond. Time to find out.

There was a discussion about this in another thread and this is exactly why a strong forecheck is so effective (hope that's right) against the Sabres. You can pin them in deep because they have been trained to skate towards their own goal first.

...maddening,.. Yeah, yeah, I know, they're in first place...

Couldn't agree more.

Sometimes you lose games you should be winning, and as long as it doesn't become a trend, I'll take a loss like last nights over a loss where the entire team mails it in any day.

HUH???!!!!! Are you guys kidding me? That 1st period was BEYOND an absolute disgrace, and I don't mean merely Patrick Lalime. The 2nd period wasn't much better.

I am still absolutely FURIOUS at the Sabres for coming out and playing a game like that - being 2 points ahead of Ottawa and in their position in the standings. FURIOUS! If I were Lindy Ruff the players would still be diving for cover to try and get away from me after an effort like that.

All those shots were a bunch of BS. Lindy even said it himself in the post-game press conference. There was NO EFFORT AT ALL for AT LEAST 40 minutes of that game last night. And, other than Mr. Vanek, the Sabres top two lines ONCE AGAIN should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for mailing it in for about the 40th time this year. I am so angry after watching that Bull. This team needs a dose of what playing in the NHL actually means.

I don't believe in booing. I have NEVER booed the Sabres in person and I've been going to games since year 1 in 1970. I was HOPING the fans would boo last night - that's how pathetic that effort was from my perspective. Just terrible.

So...Here are the backup stats from the teams that have a goalie that has played 50+ games this year....

Sorted by GAA

Sorted by Sv Pct

Thanks for posting these. Of the 3 backups showing worse goals against averages than Lalime, Toskala's stats don't really fit. He was a starter for the defensively challenged Leafs for most of the year - only has started once as a backup in Calgary (where they actually play defense) and did well in that start. That leaves McElhinney and Clemmensen as the only two backups with worse GAA than Lalime. McElhinney makes 1/2 of Lalime's $1 million per (Clemmensen makes the same).

HUH???!!!!! Are you guys kidding me? That 1st period was BEYOND an absolute disgrace, and I don't mean merely Patrick Lalime. The 2nd period wasn't much better.

I never said I wasn't environmentally challenged from watching this team mail it in again and again over the past two years, and before the lockout, so maybe I no longer recognise a piss-poor effort when I see one?

It's entirely possible.

I saw the following from last night's game:

1) Myers was NOT on the 1st PP. That is stupid. Sekara and COnnolly on the points is NO better than Myers. Myers was a force again last night. HE HAD 4 POINTS TWO GAMES AGO -- HOW CAN HE NOT BE ON THE 1st PP? Idiotic.

2) Ruff moved the lines aruond too much. Leaave Mancari and Roy and Vanel alone. Let them play more -- double shift them.

3) Lalime is 1/2 Miller.

4) Minnesota is a desperate team and played tight. They got great goaltending here and there. They beat the Sabres to the puck often.

5) Torres needs to relax and calm his game down. He is a little frantic out there. He will be good playoff time -- but he next 15 games will be hard with him. He is not the answer onteh wing for this team IMO. His giveaway for a MINN goal was STUPID.

They are often changing their lines and the D is waiting for the shift.

In the final minute last night, the Sabres were dead tired adn cuold not get up the ice in the final minute. With 2 minutes those same SIX 6 players where on the ice -- so they were very tired, thus the circling behind the Sabre goalline. BTW, Minn made a wholesale FIVE man change in the last 1 minute. So they were fresh too...

Good points. Lalime sucked on the first two goals, but a backup giving up 3 overall is acceptable. Asking the team to score 3 goals to get a point(at least) when Miller does not play should be fine. The team needs to suck it up when Lalime plays, and keep Miller on a busy but not unreasonable schedule.

I agree 100% with this. I went to the game last night and although I was frustrated that Lalime gift-wrapped those first two goals, I blame our ineffective offense just as much for the loss. The guys made bad passes and awful turnovers most of the night, and it seemed like whenever they did get a shot on net there wasn't another Sabre anywhere in place to go for the rebound, save a few good shifts. The gorram Minnesota fans sitting behind us were louder than most of the crowd, and the heckling of Lalime really, really ticked me off. The guy was obviously nervous with the rare home start, and does anyone actually believe that heckling your own goaltender is going to make him play better??? Disgraceful.

I am still absolutely FURIOUS at the Sabres for coming out and playing a game like that - being 2 points ahead of Ottawa and in their position in the standings. FURIOUS! If I were Lindy Ruff the players would still be diving for cover to try and get away from me after an effort like that.

All those shots were a bunch of BS. Lindy even said it himself in the post-game press conference. There was NO EFFORT AT ALL for AT LEAST 40 minutes of that game last night. And, other than Mr. Vanek, the Sabres top two lines ONCE AGAIN should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for mailing it in for about the 40th time this year. I am so angry after watching that Bull. This team needs a dose of what playing in the NHL actually means.

I don't believe in booing. I have NEVER booed the Sabres in person and I've been going to games since year 1 in 1970. I was HOPING the fans would boo last night - that's how pathetic that effort was from my perspective. Just terrible.

At the game I overheard something a Wild fan behind me said (and sadly I could not disagree): "This is the third best team in the Eastern Conference??" :bag:

Archived