Trade Deadline Thread

carpandean

I think the Sabres still have one or two more moves left in them. The deadline is 17 minutes away with deal being reported up to an hour or more after the actual deadline because of the NHL Conference Calls. I think Darcy will get the PP QB in Corvo and find a take for Lydman. I've got to believe Darcy will make a couple more moves.

I think the Sabres still have one or two more moves left in them. The deadline is 17 minutes away with deal being reported up to an hour or more after the actual deadline because of the NHL Conference Calls. I think Darcy will get the PP QB in Corvo and find a take for Lydman. I've got to believe Darcy will make a couple more moves.

I'd really prefer if we upped this to Kaberle, even if the price is steeper. We need to make a change that will affect next season, too - Corvo's nice for the next month or so, but then he's gone...

What does the board think...

The asking price for Kaberle is high...but he's under contract for another season and should bolster the defense.

Should Darcy give up Stafford, Gerbe, and a 1st or 2nd-round pick (or something similar)...?

I think I'd do it...

Kaberle fixes alot of problems. Do the Sabres score 5 a night, then? No. But the PP becomes much better. An extra PPG/Game makes alot of difference for a team that plays close games and depends on Miller.

I do it. Staff and Gerbil definately can go. That 1st is tough to give up not having our 2nd now though. But, with Kab locked up next year too, I think I make the exception and do it.

Based on what?

Reports out of TSN, The Fourth Period, and Eklund indicate Stempniak is going but Kaberle will not be dealt. 13 minutes left. Come on Darcy, bring in the PP QB!

I'm seeing the opposite re Kaberle on the Jay Onrait TSN live blog

I'd really prefer if we upped this to Kaberle, even if the price is steeper. We need to make a change that will affect next season, too - Corvo's nice for the next month or so, but then he's gone...

Agreed, I'd love to get Kaberle, but he's more expensive and reports are that he will not get dealt. My rationale on Corvo is this: you're likely going to lose Lydman and or Tallinder anyway at the end of the season. So, if this is about making the playoffs, making a trade that trades out Lydman and separately brings in Corvo, I think positions this team better for a playoff run this year. Either way, if you don't get Kaberle and you acquire Corvo at the expense of Lydman, net-net it turns out about the same in terms of UFA status and I think the team is a better team come playoff time because of it. Just my take.

FWIW, Bob McKenzie reporting Milan Jurcina is going back to Washington. His time in Columbus was very short lived.

Agreed, I'd love to get Kaberle, but he's more expensive and reports are that he will not get dealt. My rationale on Corvo is this: you're likely going to lose Lydman and or Tallinder anyway at the end of the season. So, if this is about making the playoffs, making a trade that trades out Lydman and separately brings in Corvo, I think positions this team better for a playoff run this year. Either way, if you don't get Kaberle and you acquire Corvo at the expense of Lydman, net-net it turns out about the same in terms of UFA status and I think the team is a better team come playoff time because of it. Just my take.

FWIW, Bob McKenzie reporting Milan Jurcina is going back to Washington. His time in Columbus was very short lived.

Yeah, that's a fair assessment - if we can't get Kaberle, I'd go for Corvo if it didn't mean losing another pick. (Though we'd need to trade Tallinder/Lydman, as you mentioned, to get that pick.)

That's far too steep a price.

I agree -- Stempniak is a UFA after this year.

More my own personal hope than anything else. I'm hoping he makes a couple more moves.

Didn't mean to take a wise-guy tone. I'd like to see another move or 2 also, but past experience doesn't make me optimistic.

I'm sure that's what Burke will want though. Especially to trade within the division.

I think giving the 4th would be enough.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The don't trade within the division idea is complete and total BS. If a team within your division offers the best package, you take it. That's especially relevant for a team like Toronto that is completely out of it. Hell, they did send us Dom Moore last year.

Archived