[OT] Miller's loss of focus sometimes?

Mbossy

I don't think many Sabres are gay.....they just play that way.

I think someone replied to this a couple of years ago by saying, "That gives gay people a bad name."

And it really does. Gay=effeminate is a pretty bad stereotype. But that's a whole 'nother discussion, not that this thread isn't going there anyway.

Edit: I wonder what the Muslims in the cockpit thought about gay guys when the passengers starting breaking down the door -- a revolt that by all accounts was led by, or at the very least included, one big, bad-ass (gay) rugby player.

I think someone replied to this a couple of years ago by saying, "That gives gay people a bad name."

i recall rejoining to that effect and, to my great delight, having it incorporated into ink's signature block.

Gay=effeminate is a pretty bad stereotype. But that's a whole 'nother discussion, not that this thread isn't going there anyway.

agreed, on balance.** which is why i called out my inner 7th grader when giving a nod to ghost's punchline.

** i sometimes find recourse in the maxim that what i am saying is "predictive, not determinative." truth be told, if you took a random sample of 50 gay guys and 50 straight guys and applied objective measures, you'd probably find that gay guys more commonly exhibit "effeminate" behaviors (for whatever that's worth). social scientist types talk about how gay guys don't "comply" with cultural expectations of how a man is supposed to act (at least that's what i recall from some survey course i took as an undergrad). OTOH, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more "macho" frontman for a rock band than the late, great freddie mercury.

And it really does. Gay=effeminate is a pretty bad stereotype. But that's a whole 'nother discussion, not that this thread isn't going there anyway.

Edit: I wonder what the Muslims in the cockpit thought about gay guys when the passengers starting breaking down the door -- a revolt that by all accounts was led by, or at the very least included, one big, bad-ass (gay) rugby player.

They were probably pondering the irony that 8 years later, a grumpy old man on a message board would be using them to dispell stereotyping while referring to them as Muslims instead of terrorists.

They were probably pondering the irony that 8 years later, a grumpy old man on a message board would be using them to dispell stereotyping while referring to them as Muslims instead of terrorists.

They were all Muslims, weren't they? I was not stereotyping all Muslims as terrorists.

The more I say "Muslim" out loud, the less sense it makes. It's one of those words.

John Amaechi

The homophobia of his peers is priceless:

Shavlik Randolph, who said that "as long as you don't bring your gayness on me I'm fine...

Don't be bringing that gayness all up on me. (yeah I know he's a ###### from duke) :lol: Friggin dolt. <_<

They'll call a technical foul on you if you do that.

Wow, all this time, and I thought he was gay, too. It doesn't matter to me one way or another, and frankly, I always hoped he was gay because that would be so awesome if there was an out NHL player. It would be such a fantastic social statement and totally break down stereotypes, and the fact that he's one of the best goalies in the NHL would make it all the better. So, I guess I echo inkman here.

It does not seem as though he's currently dating this girl based on his own blog post, but per some google searches it looks like he may have had a short relationship with her late last year, but who knows how accurate that is? If this is true, then it would appear he has a thing for Indian ladies. So, I'd have something in common with him since I am Indian and married to an Indian lady. That and we both like the Sabres, presumably. That's about all I'd have in common with him though.

Wow, all this time, and I thought he was gay, too. It doesn't matter to me one way or another, and frankly, I always hoped he was gay because that would be so awesome if there was an out NHL player. It would be such a fantastic social statement and totally break down stereotypes, and the fact that he's one of the best goalies in the NHL would make it all the better. So, I guess I echo inkman here.

It does not seem as though he's currently dating this girl based on his own blog post, but per some google searches it looks like he may have had a short relationship with her late last year, but who knows how accurate that is? If this is true, then it would appear he has a thing for Indian ladies. So, I'd have something in common with him since I am Indian and married to an Indian lady. That and we both like the Sabres, presumably. That's about all I'd have in common with him though.

For the Mrs. :)

Indian Lady

Maybe PA is old enough to remember this. One of my favorite songs to play. I can usually finish 2 beers in the back of the band throughout the song.

Perhaps Miller likes lacrosse too!:D

He's supposed to keep the 5 hole closed, not let dudes score in it.

i recall rejoining to that effect and, to my great delight, having it incorporated into ink's signature block.

agreed, on balance.** which is why i called out my inner 7th grader when giving a nod to ghost's punchline.

** i sometimes find recourse in the maxim that what i am saying is "predictive, not determinative." truth be told, if you took a random sample of 50 gay guys and 50 straight guys and applied objective measures, you'd probably find that gay guys more commonly exhibit "effeminate" behaviors (for whatever that's worth). social scientist types talk about how gay guys don't "comply" with cultural expectations of how a man is supposed to act (at least that's what i recall from some survey course i took as an undergrad). OTOH, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more "macho" frontman for a rock band than the late, great freddie mercury.

Cultural expectations of how a man is supposed to act is the key phrase in this discussion.

So let's say you are in the company of homophobes and they start telling gay jokes and you decide this is NOT for you - you can be labelled gay even if you do NOT have homosexual desires and you care NOT to get into a discussion with a bunch of closet Neanderthals!

My point is that one can be heterocentric without being homophobic and one can be pro-creation without being anti-gay! As an adherent to the greatest rule set ever developed for a civilization the US Constitution starts with the 4th Ammendment (privacy) among other relative codes to respect in others as one would expect for themselves and loved ones!

It's the predators we're after regardless of whether they be homosexual or heterocentric

Cultural expectations of how a man is supposed to act is the key phrase in this discussion.

to be sure. of course, cultural expectations and norms also have a way of creating a culture's lexicon. so, to PA's point of the stereotype of effiminacy in gay men, my very limited point was this: the perception that gay men as a whole will exhibit more effiminate behaviors than straight guys is accurate as a predictive matter relative to an entire population. that's not to say that any such predictive accuracy is determinative of all outcomes -- far from it.

My point is that one can be heterocentric without being homophobic and one can be pro-creation without being anti-gay!

no doubt about that -- "straight not narrow", as some coin it.

On this topic, Noureen DeWulf was on the Ryan Seacrest radio show today. They talked about how she's currently filming in Hollywood and she also mentioned she went to Vancouver to see Ryan and sat with his family during the game. It's kinda cool having to drive listening to a radio music station, then hear an interview with some celeb and then they talk about Ryan Miller. haha.

On this topic, Noureen DeWulf was on the Ryan Seacrest radio show today. They talked about how she's currently filming in Hollywood and she also mentioned she went to Vancouver to see Ryan and sat with his family during the game. It's kinda cool having to drive listening to a radio music station, then hear an interview with some celeb and then they talk about Ryan Miller. haha.

When is Ryan Miller going to be on Ryan Seacrest?

Speaking of hotties, anybody see Alyssa Milano's twitter after the USA win over Canada saying that she's very close to becoming a Sabres fan due to Miller.... ?

I think a lot of us can't see the forest through the trees. There was a lot of complaining (myself included) about seeing Crosby during the first USA game, but when I step back and look at it, Miller is not that far behind him and Ovechkin in the media shovin' down our throat department. I like it.

Archived