Why is Adam Mair in the lineup every night??

LabattBlue

Let me see if I understand this correctly...The Sabres thought so little of Mair earlier this season, that they put him on waivers and he ends up going unclaimed. They then have the choice of sending him to Portland, but elect not to. They obviously had a plan in place for his roster spot, because if he had been claimed on waivers, somebody would have had to step in. Yet here he still is, having dressed in all 16 games since the first of the year. Why?

It is bad enough when you won't make any changes to the top 6, it is downright embarrassing that you are also in love with your bottom 6. <_<

But, it makes you wonder how a guy who was seen as invaluable months ago that he was waived, now plays like a regular.

Exactly!

Edited...I first read your post as "is a regular". Were you complimenting him when you said "he PLAYS like a regular"? :rolleyes:

For what Mair is, I think he has been playing WAY over his ability. He's been coming in with high energy and even creating some chances. I have no complaints about Mair. He is what he is. I have big problem with Lindy using him at the end of games and in overtime.

Exactly!

Edited...I first read your post as "is a regular". Were you complimenting him when you said "he PLAYS like a regular"? :rolleyes:

well he was waived when he was just getting back from rehab....you look at the roster and you waive the guy most likely to clear has been Darcy's MO.

The only time he got burned was Chris Thornburn in the last 5 years.

Mair.

-1 on the 4th line, right handed draw in a pinch, willing to drop the mits,

good cycle game and he brings his lunch pail. I have no probblem with Mair.

He's not hurting the team at all.

well he was waived when he was just getting back from rehab....you look at the roster and you waive the guy most likely to clear has been Darcy's MO.

The only time he got burned was Chris Thornburn in the last 5 years.

Mair.

-1 on the 4th line, right handed draw in a pinch, willing to drop the mits,

good cycle game and he brings his lunch pail. I have no probblem with Mair.

He's not hurting the team at all.

And a couple injuries hit right after he cleared waivers, opening a slot for him. He stepped up his game and has earned that spot on the 4th line. I wish they'd bench him against Ottawa though as he's probably the biggest offender when it comes to suddenly becoming clinically retarded when playing the senators.

I guess Mair is the new Peters?

I have more problems with guys like Roy, Pomminstein and Vanek, Top guys here that would be lucky to be 3rd liners elsewhere with their efforts

Not quite at the Peters level, but there are plenty of hungry players in the AHL that would love to be part of an NHL clubs 4th line. Mair is a shell of his former self....Very little hitting or fighting, stupid penalties and plenty of stickhandling.

PS There are clearly some issues in the top 6 which I am in total agreement on, but to say that they are 3rd liners on any other team is a bit of a reach. :blink:

And a couple injuries hit right after he cleared waivers, opening a slot for him. He stepped up his game and has earned that spot on the 4th line. I wish they'd bench him against Ottawa though as he's probably the biggest offender when it comes to suddenly becoming clinically retarded when playing the senators.

I think the plumbers have taken a bit of a step back in the last week or so. Greer doesn't seem to be moving without pain, Kennedy is just trying too hard, (ex. going for the hit in the last minute against the sens and then getting lost), things seem to be bouncing over Ellis stick.

Mair gets reputation minors on more ticky-tack plays than can be believed. I don't need to see him every night, but I'm glad he's on the roster.

I guess Mair is the new Peters?

I have more problems with guys like Roy, Pomminstein and Vanek, Top guys here that would be lucky to be 3rd liners elsewhere with their efforts

I can't think of too many teams where Pominville or Vanek would be 3rd liners. Roy would probably find himself on the 3rd line of a team that uses the Scoring Center, Power Center, Secondary Scoring Center, Grind Center paradigm.

Stafford and Hecht, on the other hand, don't belong anywhere near the top two lines. Hecht doesn't have the necessary skills and Stafford just plays like a lazy bum too often.

Stafford and Hecht, on the other hand, don't belong anywhere near the top two lines.

When Hecht is on his game (i.e., not last years), he is a great complimentary winger for a scoring line. Hecht-Briere-Dumont, Hecht-Briere-Pominville, Hecht-Connolly-Pominville have all been effective scoring lines. However, he's also works well on a checking line. If they were to, say, acquire Ray Whitney before the deadline, I wouldn't have a problem trying him in Hecht's place and moving Hecht to third line (though, that line has been working well, so ...)

I agree on Stafford. I'll say it again, while he's nowhere near the talent, he has a case of Kovalev-itis. When he turns it on, you see flashes of being a very good player, but that only happens once every 30 games.

...and what is that purpose my friend? To be Chris Neal's Punching bag? He has no guts and no talent. Face it the Sabres are truly the Pittsburgh Pirates and Royales of Hockey. Mair would never play again if the Sabres woke up from their winter nap and cut him......I agree he has no talent....Stafford, has upside and might benefit from a center! I havewondered why have a backup Goalie if we never rest Miller because the backup is a retred! The article about finding help form within.....well stinks to high heaven...We need scoring and a backup goalie Darcy.....Time to shake it up...We have to many players on this team that must call home to dad every night and say ....can you believe I get to play Crosby tonight?

The better question is why is Stafford in the lineup every night?

At least Mair is serving his purpose.

When Hecht is on his game (i.e., not last years), he is a great complimentary winger for a scoring line. Hecht-Briere-Dumont, Hecht-Briere-Pominville, Hecht-Connolly-Pominville have all been effective scoring lines. However, he's also works well on a checking line. If they were to, say, acquire Ray Whitney before the deadline, I wouldn't have a problem trying him in Hecht's place and moving Hecht to third line (though, that line has been working well, so ...)

I agree on Stafford. I'll say it again, while he's nowhere near the talent, he has a case of Kovalev-itis. When he turns it on, you see flashes of being a very good player, but that only happens once every 30 games.

Jochen is a very good complimentary player.....I fully agree.....and wonder why he or Grier or Kennedy doesn't play on the powerplay instead of ROY!

...and what is that purpose my friend? To be Chris Neal's Punching bag? He has no guts and no talent. Face it the Sabres are truly the Pittsburgh Pirates and Royales of Hockey. Mair would never play again if the Sabres woke up from their winter nap and cut him......I agree he has no talent....Stafford, has upside and might benefit from a center! I havewondered why have a backup Goalie if we never rest Miller because the backup is a retred! The article about finding help form within.....well stinks to high heaven...We need scoring and a backup goalie Darcy.....Time to shake it up...We have to many players on this team that must call home to dad every night and say ....can you believe I get to play Crosby tonight?

Well, that wasn't worth reading.

It's better to remain quiet and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it.

Why all the hate for Mair all of a sudden? Are you all under the impression that most teams get production out of their 4th line centers? If you look at any given NHL team, you'll probably find an Adam Mair clone on their roster.

This team has its problems, but Mair isn't one of them.

And if you look at those adam mair clones you'll find them on the fourth line. Playing 6 minutes a game, Not on the ice during the final minute of a crucial division game. Or winging with your best natural scorer.

And if you look at those adam mair clones you'll find them on the fourth line. Playing 6 minutes a game, Not on the ice during the final minute of a crucial division game. Or winging with your best natural scorer.

Ok, then your beef's with Lindy. I doubt that Mair patted Ruff on the shoulder, said "I got this, coach" and jumped on the ice without permission.

Archived