GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Just Cause:

1. Miller bails his team out "big time".

2. Everytime something bad happened, Butler was in the mix. The Kovalchuk goal came on Butler's second penalty.

3. Felt like the entire game was played in the Buffalo zone. Ottawa and Atlanta know how to play the Sabres.

4. Burn the tape on this game. Nothing to see here, but the two points is sure nice.

5. Pretty nice to be on the PP most of the OT.

6. Myers saving a goal and skating up ice with the puck on the PP were two of the more memorable plays. He looks a lot like Campbell did skating with the puck on the PP.

7. Outshot again. Story of this years squad.

8. Kaleta certainly made his presence known. I could see in the future the Carruba Collision will be renamed Kaleta's Carruba Collision.

9. PP looked awful last night. Redeemed themselves by tallying the game winner. No joy on a one minute 5 on 3.

10. The PK doesn't aggressively attack anyone and still manages to kill 32 of the last 34. Put Bandicoot back on the PK. Him, Grier and Hecht are the only ones thinking shorty.

What am I missing here? Did Miller really bail the team out again like I keep hearing? Every goalie makes big saves every game. They are all in the NHL and all really good. Pavelec made some great saves to keep his team in it as well. Yes we were outshot, but most of them were from the outside and I never really felt like any of them were all that threatening. And the biggest save of the night came from Myers.

I'm not saying he didn't play great. I'm just saying it was more than just Miller and more of a team win than people are saying here against a team that always plays us pretty tough.

I thought both Connolly and MacArthur made strong plays on the game winning goal by Roy. Connolly made a really nice deke on the pass to Roy which really opened up the shooting lane. I laughed on the replay when all three Atlanta PKers took a step in the wrong direction just as Roy was winding up. The only player left between Roy and the goaltender was MacArthur and he screened him very well.

- Refereeing was very inconsistent. The one non-call that I see over and over again is where the defenseman are holding up the forwards at the blueline as they chase in for the puck. I thought this was interference in the "new" NHL?

This rule was reviewed and now the D can hold up the fowards on a dump as long as they don't grap them so they can jump in front of the skating lane the fowards take after the dump in. I believe Philly really wanted this change when they had the slowest D in the league. Only calls they make now that are anything like the new NHL is slashing and hooking.

This rule was reviewed and now the D can hold up the fowards on a dump as long as they don't grap them so they can jump in front of the skating lane the fowards take after the dump in. I believe Philly really wanted this change when they had the slowest D in the league. Only calls they make now that are anything like the new NHL is slashing and hooking.

That is ridiculous(on the NHL's part). A defender barely "touches" a player with his stick, not impeding his progress what so ever and it is a penalty, yet a defender can more or less pick you off at the blueline and it's no penalty. Are they still wondering why scoring is down?

It's ok, I got yo' back.

I just watched it again, man what a brutal hit that was...

Seriously...a young aggressive player is a good commodity. A dirty player is a bad commodity. That was a dirty hit and deserving of a 5 game suspension or so. I'm willing to give second chances, but one more blatant incident like that, and I say we cut ties and see what we can get for him. Based on that clip, Kassian might be one headache we're better off avoiding. Sorry if I'm being overdramatic, but I don't want a headhunter in any level of my favorite franchise.

I'm willing to give second chances, but one more blatant incident like that, and I say we cut ties and see what we can get for him. Based on that clip, Kassian might be one headache we're better off avoiding. Sorry if I'm being overdramatic, but I don't want a headhunter in any level of my favorite franchise.

Back away from the keyboard. Let's not get carried away.

I've said it before: he's the biggest headcase on the team. If he isn't scoring consistently, or getting the minutes he feels he deserves, any game he has disappears.

...and to think, some ahole poster used to run "I hate Thomas Vanek" campaigns. Where is that punk?

Just came back from the game. What a fun game. Here are some thoughts:

1. I have no idea how the Thrashers can sustain long term with such poor attendance. There were maybe 5-6000 people there. I think the official attendance was probably around 12000, but seriously, it looked like no one was there.

2. The Sabres really travel well. Of the few people in attendance tonight, I think it was easily 60-70% of the crowd who were supporting the Sabres. It felt like the game was played at HSBC. It was a lot of fun, especially since the last time I saw the Sabres in person was Game 1 of 1999 Stanley Cup Finals.

I'd peg that as one of the better attended weekday games lately...and I'm at most of them. I'm guessing 8 to 9K. It's tough to judge with one side being all suites.

I just can't stand dirty players. I'm not saying get rid of him right now, maybe that was an overreaction. But dirty hitters are frequently repeat offenders. I don't want Chris Neil 2.0

I do. Then no one will f*ck with us. As garbage as it is, this team needs a dirtbag. And if that dirtbag can score 20 goals, then I'll be tickled pink. We all talk about this team needing grit. Well, there it is. The grittiest kind. I bet the Flyers front office is sitting around circle-jerking to that video as they try to put together a trade offer to get him.

I do. Then no one will f*ck with us. As garbage as it is, this team needs a dirtbag. And if that dirtbag can score 20 goals, then I'll be tickled pink. We all talk about this team needing grit. Well, there it is. The grittiest kind. I bet the Flyers front office is sitting around circle-jerking to that video as they try to put together a trade offer to get him.

I want to kiss you.

here.

5. Stafford looked like he was benched in the third, and I'm not sure why. I didn't see any glaring mistakes, but he didn't play much at all in the third, not sure why.

Stafford was horrible last night and was the worst Sabre on the ice. He had on shift in particular (I think it was in the 2nd period) where he gave away the puck at least twice and also stayed out there way too long (well over a minute). I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him as a healthy scratch on Saturday.

Stafford was horrible last night and was the worst Sabre on the ice. He had on shift in particular (I think it was in the 2nd period) where he gave away the puck at least twice and also stayed out there way too long (well over a minute). I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him as a healthy scratch on Saturday.

Is this the play? Stafford lost the puck at the opponents blueline, skated hard to catch the guy at the Sabres blueline, got the puck back and then made an attempted pass to Roy that wasn't within 20 feet of him(and Roy wasn't that far away). WTF! :blink:

5. Stafford looked like he was benched in the third, and I'm not sure why. I didn't see any glaring mistakes, but he didn't play much at all in the third, not sure why.

Stafford had the same number of shifts in the 3rd (5) as he did in the 1st & 2nd. I'd agree though he was invisible.

Is this the play? Stafford lost the puck at the opponents blueline, skated hard to catch the guy at the Sabres blueline, got the puck back and then made an attempted pass to Roy that wasn't within 20 feet of him(and Roy wasn't that far away). WTF! :blink:

Yep. That's the one.

Ruff was rolling his eyes after this play when they showed him on TV, he almost pulled a retina...... :beer:

Archived