GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

If we don't win for some strange reason, I've already worked out the positive way of looking at it in my mind. If Toronto can somehow beat us, than maybe it will dawn on our guys that they can actually beat Ottawa.

There, now I feel better. Still hope we clobber them, of course.

I'd have started Lalime, if only because Miller has let some softies in lately. Let Miller recharge and give Lalime a few starts. He can handle it.

PTR

That is my concern as well. Miller has been giving up too many rebounds lately and could probably use a little time off.

Between this thread and the other one about third period goals allowed ... if you guys are not careful, we are going to lose our well-earned reputation for pessimism around here.

maybe I am playing the reverse jinx here, but I have a feeling the Leafs get a point tonight, at least.

I almost see it the other way--Kessel is going to play his ass off tonight, and several key teammates will "have his back" and do the same.

How embarrassing would it be if the USA coach were fired from his NHL job prior to the Olympics?!

Can anyone say "Trap Game"

Don't let this game get away boys. Must win!

Yes sir this is the same trepidation that I have with this game. I think we will see a hard playing Toronto team and if for some chance Miller is not on his game tonight sans Penguins game a week back this will not be the kind of sabres blowout many are predicting or any of us want to see. e.g a leafs win.

It's a division game against what should be a motivated opponent and a good portent of the kind of desperate hockey we are going to see in the new year heading towards the olympics. I am looking for us to weather the storm and play the patient system they have done so well with against a team that will likely take some chances to end their Jinx and our winning streak. Not to mention being able to save some energy for the back to back tomorrow night.

Go Bflo.

That is my concern as well. Miller has been giving up too many rebounds lately and could probably use a little time off.

They have four days off after the Colorado game ... so if Lalime plays that, Miller gets five days off before the killer road trip. That's plenty ... then I would guess Lalime plays in Anaheim (the only back-to-back on the trip) and maybe Vancouver at the end so Miller is fresh for New Jersey and Boston when they get home.

They have four days off after the Colorado game ... so if Lalime plays that, Miller gets five days off before the killer road trip. That's plenty ... then I would guess Lalime plays in Anaheim (the only back-to-back on the trip) and maybe Vancouver at the end so Miller is fresh for New Jersey and Boston when they get home.

+1

Well, he did have a very nice game against Montreal in the game prior to the TB game (in which the whole team kinda went to sleep after earning the big lead). I can see him coming out PO'd and very sharp tonight.

Yes sir this is the same trepidation that I have with this game. I think we will see a hard playing Toronto team and if for some chance Miller is not on his game tonight sans Penguins game a week back this will not be the kind of sabres blowout many are predicting or any of us want to see. e.g a leafs win.

It's a division game against what should be a motivated opponent and a good portent of the kind of desperate hockey we are going to see in the new year heading towards the olympics. I am looking for us to weather the storm and play the patient system they have done so well with against a team that will likely take some chances to end their Jinx and our winning streak. Not to mention being able to save some energy for the back to back tomorrow night.

Go Bflo.

Good post (although I must note a questionable use of "sans"). I too think the most likely outcome tonight is a grinded-out ugly win, probably including a scrap or 2.

That sounds right.

From Bill Hoppe's column yesterday:

"Notes: Ruff said winger Patrick Kaleta (knee, four games) is ready to return. But the agitator likely won’t play tonight. “Lineup changes now with the way we’ve been going is a little bit tough,” Ruff said. … Backup goalie Patrick Lalime will play this weekend, Ruff said. The Sabres also host Colorado on Saturday. "

Not that Toronto is much of a threat to our standings, but in the standings wins are the tiebreaker between points. so if you have a chance to play your best goalie against a team and get a win, especially a division and conference foe, then you do it. I like Starting Lalime against colorado. It's a no pressure game for him. Losing to colorado is not that big a deal, whereas losing to the Leafs is a little bit more serious.

Of course, Lalime has played very very well lately so maybe he can pull out a nice string, plus he is going for his 200th career win. Something I'm sure he wants.

I also like starting Miller tonight because he should be motivated to show Burke and Wilson who the starting goaltender for team USA is.

Miller took a highsticking penalty.. don't see that every day

More like high-blocking.. he caught that idiot perfectly with the blocker!

Glad to see he's taking his protection into his own hands.. though I hope the Leaves aren't succeeding in getting under his skin.

More like high-blocking.. he caught that idiot perfectly with the blocker!

Glad to see he's taking his protection into his own hands.. though I hope the Leaves aren't succeeding in getting under his skin.

Miller playing with emotion is usually a good thing though. Just saying.

Archived