[OT] do you watch opposing team's feed if it's in HD?

nfreeman

Do you need your HD?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Just curious about this. Last night, like many other nights this year, out-of-towners with CI had the choice of the opposing team's feed in HD or the MSG feed in SD. In this situation, which do you choose?

• HD -- no question about it
    • Usually HD, but sometimes SD if I'm in the mood for Rick and Harry
    • Usually MSG, but sometimes the opponent's HD feed
    • MSG -- no question about it

This critical issue has been touched on from time to time, but I don't think there's ever been a scientific census on it.

Hopefully, the MSG HD situation gets resolved and this becomes moot.

What a great win that was last night.

BTW, I'm in the 100% HD camp.

Because my Comcast provider does not offer either the NHL network or Center Ice in HD, I am always stuck with the SD unless the games are on Vs. However, if the choice were there, I would always go with the HD no matter what... the difference is that huge, like choosing between a color TV or black and white. Much as I love RJ, Roby, Razor and Sylvester (Harry I could do without), it's an easy choice.

Last night it was HD and usually it is. If they play Boston I might reach for RJ and Harry because I can never stand the NESN announcers. I've had 11 games this year in HD, but that includes all national games on CBC, TSN and regional Sportsnet (except Ottawa for some stupid reason) against Canadian teams. My cable CI package up here shows HD games against US teams that have an FSN as their provider - never CSN or MSG. Occasionally I will get a SUN or ALTITUDE game in HD. I have up to 4 HD channels, but they are rarely all used at the same time - usually between 2-4 a night and lots of west coast games, especially LA, Anaheim, Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton mostly when they are playing at home. In the east, they only pickings are from Boston, Pittsburgh or Florida - or the VS game. It's rare to see a Carolina or Atlanta game. Is it generally the same for you in the US? Are there differences between cable or satellite?

HD, no question. It is a completely different experience, like watching a game in color vs. b&w. The only time I would struggle with this decision would be with Boston. They have the absolute worst announcers in all of sports. I get so angry with them that I would likely put a hole through my TV, so I would have to listen without the sound.

With that being said, my cable provided (Comcast) doesn't show the Center Ice HD games in HD. What a joke. I really hate cable companies with a passion :censored:

I live in the Buffalo area, so I'm lucky enough to catch the game in the MSG HD feed.

But if I had to choose between out of town HD or local SD, you better believe I'm going with RJ, Harry (to a lesser extent, although I do find RJ calling Harry out on dumbass comments to be hilarious), Razor, Mike + Kevin.

It's part of the Buffalo experience. HD is fine and all, but that doesn't add any character to the game.

Im all about the character and love, not about the flash. True Buffalonian :thumbsup:

This critical issue has been touched on from time to time, but I don't think there's ever been a scientific census on it.

Hopefully, the MSG HD situation gets resolved and this becomes moot.

What a great win that was last night.

BTW, I'm in the 100% HD camp.

Love this poll - so interesting to see how others feel, since this topic makes me so furious. I actually give up HD about 75% of the time just to listen to MSG announcers. I do so because the Sabres uniforms suck so bad, and I get so much out of hearing the perspectives of Rick, Harry, Razor, and Roby, that I actually am willing to give up the HD picture ;-). (I'm only half kidding about the uniforms).

I am SO hopeful that this new contract not only gets resolved quickly, but also brings MSG HD back - even if we have to pay MORE to get it.

Love this poll - so interesting to see how others feel, since this topic makes me so furious. I actually give up HD about 75% of the time just to listen to MSG announcers. I do so because the Sabres uniforms suck so bad, and I get so much out of hearing the perspectives of Rick, Harry, Razor, and Roby, that I actually am willing to give up the HD picture ;-). (I'm only half kidding about the uniforms).

Keep Lindy! Fire the slug!

I am SO hopeful that this new contract not only gets resolved quickly, but also brings MSG HD back - even if we have to pay MORE to get it.

This is exactly why I posted this -- i.e. I too find others' perspectives on this pretty interesting. I haven't found a crew yet that would make me give up HD. I think it's interesting that a fan would give it up to listen to the MSG crew (which I enjoy, but also feel that they aren't any better than the crews of many other teams).

I'll take the HD feed every time. Problem is in MD, they usually only show the SD feed on 638. RJ ain't what he used to be. Listening to his calls on the great save thread, it's pretty obvious that he has toned it down quite a bit. He just doesn't get quite as excited as he used to.

I personally like listening to other announcers. My only criteria is you need to call the play and not chat about what you got for Christmas, etc.

I watch the games via NHLGameCenter so I have no choice which feed I watch. But, as far as I know NHLGC will try to use the local feed unless there is a higher def feed available. The MSG feed on NHLGC is the worst available so more often than not they will play the away teams feed instead of R&H. It's not bad, I get to hear the opposing teams announcers. But watching the MSG feed is painful at best. I switched from DirectTV to U-Verse so I can no longer get the hockey package so this is my only choice.

I'm paying for HD, and the game looks so much better in HD.

I also hate the NESN crew. Buncha cawksuckas if you ask me.

I like hearing the other announcers because it makes me hate the opposition more.

Sometimes I record both feeds and watch the intermissions on MSG.

Just gimme my damn MSG HD feed for EVERY game, you SOB's!

DirecTV customer here.

I'm paying for HD, and the game looks so much better in HD.

I also hate the NESN crew. Buncha cawksuckas if you ask me.

I like hearing the other announcers because it makes me hate the opposition more.

Sometimes I record both feeds and watch the intermissions on MSG.

Just gimme my damn MSG HD feed for EVERY game, you SOB's!

DirecTV customer here.

Amen.

i usually watch online because the wife has the TV on lockdown during game time usually.

my favorites so far have been watching the Sabres-Candiens game in French and not understanding anything other than the player names, and tonight's game against Atlanta when the puck caromed out in front and the ATL announcers yelled "OH NO!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?" before the puck even went into the empty net....hahahaa

• 2 weeks later...

Archived