[OT] Skate Question

shrader

In my game tonight, I blocked a slap shot with the toe area of my skate and the plastic part that holds the blade shattered. I also noticed that one of the rivets rusted through and is broken. Does anyone know how much something like this usually costs to fix? The skates are 7-8 years old, so I'm trying to figure out if it's something worth fixing or just going with new skates.

In my game tonight, I blocked a slap shot with the toe area of my skate and the plastic part that holds the blade shattered. I also noticed that one of the rivets rusted through and is broken. Does anyone know how much something like this usually costs to fix? The skates are 7-8 years old, so I'm trying to figure out if it's something worth fixing or just going with new skates.

I couldn't really give you a price quote, but any proshop in your area worth their salt should be able to replace it for you. If you like the skates and the boots aren't terribly worn out then there's no reason not to get the holders replaced.

You use Tuuks or something else?

in Boston? I would expect $100.

Yeah, we're bording in on new skate territory there. I really don't see the point in paying that much on skates that are 7 years old. I really like the skates (CCM 652), but the thought of a new pair has been on my mind recently. Hopefully I can find a decent deal around Christmas time.

I came up with this image on a google search. That small part under the toe directly up front was what essentially fell off. I managed to play the whole game (with one goal), so that was good.

I'll be calling a shop or two a little later today, but I was just curious to see if anyone has run into this problem at all.

Yeah, we're bording in on new skate territory there. I really don't see the point in paying that much on skates that are 7 years old. I really like the skates (CCM 652), but the thought of a new pair has been on my mind recently. Hopefully I can find a decent deal around Christmas time.

I came up with this image on a google search. That small part under the toe directly up front was what essentially fell off. I managed to play the whole game (with one goal), so that was good.

I'll be calling a shop or two a little later today, but I was just curious to see if anyone has run into this problem at all.

How many hours a week do you skate? The new blade holder (or chassis) will need to be riveted to the boot. If the boot in pretty worn, it may not hold too well. No need for new steel, unless you want to. If you replace one runner, definitely need to replace the other. The height differential can do screwy things to your ankle, knee, hip and back.

How many hours a week do you skate? The new blade holder (or chassis) will need to be riveted to the boot. If the boot in pretty worn, it may not hold too well. No need for new steel, unless you want to. If you replace one runner, definitely need to replace the other. The height differential can do screwy things to your ankle, knee, hip and back.

It's once a week year round, with the potential to add a second hour. I'm really leaning towards new skates right now, but I'm going to bring the skates in later this week so someone can take a look at them.

It's once a week year round, with the potential to add a second hour. I'm really leaning towards new skates right now, but I'm going to bring the skates in later this week so someone can take a look at them.

You are looking at probably $50 or $60 bucks for the new holder and install, versus 200 for a new pair of skates in the same range as the 652's. Personal preference at this point. You are probably close to being ready for new runners, too, which will add another $50-60, installed, so you are already half way there.

There are a lot of great deals to be found on line, especially on last year's models, and even older closeouts. Between myself and my kids, I have ordered from half a dozen on line retailers, and they have all been great, no problems at all.

You are looking at probably $50 or $60 bucks for the new holder and install, versus 200 for a new pair of skates in the same range as the 652's. Personal preference at this point. You are probably close to being ready for new runners, too, which will add another $50-60, installed, so you are already half way there.

There are a lot of great deals to be found on line, especially on last year's models, and even older closeouts. Between myself and my kids, I have ordered from half a dozen on line retailers, and they have all been great, no problems at all.

I'm in Buffalo for Christmas for the next two weeks (fly in friday). I'm going to look around then. I'd much rather buy from a store so I can get the skates thrown in an oven. But yeah, your numbers sound just about right compared to what I was told over the phone. It doesn't seem worth it, especially since new skates is an idea that has been floating around in my head recently. Last night's game just sped that up a bit.

So who has bought skates recently? CCM has worked out really well for me, but I'm open to suggestions. It's been so long, so I really have no clue what strengths each company has.

I'm in Buffalo for Christmas for the next two weeks (fly in friday). I'm going to look around then. I'd much rather buy from a store so I can get the skates thrown in an oven. But yeah, your numbers sound just about right compared to what I was told over the phone. It doesn't seem worth it, especially since new skates is an idea that has been floating around in my head recently. Last night's game just sped that up a bit.

So who has bought skates recently? CCM has worked out really well for me, but I'm open to suggestions. It's been so long, so I really have no clue what strengths each company has.

I'd say just go with what works for you. If you've liked a pair of CCMs for this long, then you'll probably still like CCMs.

Go online to HockeyMonkey.com or HockeyGiant.com or if you get to the Amherst, MA area go to Bertelli's in Springfield... half liquor store, half skate shop. Just off 91 on the West side of the Conn. River.

I'd say just go with what works for you. If you've liked a pair of CCMs for this long, then you'll probably still like CCMs.

He's right.

I had to switch to Easton's because they have a wider toe box and I have painful bunions. Now I'm getting a little lacebite, but the skates are still not fully broken in.

Keep this in mind - new skates are RIDICULOUSLY stiff and take quite some time to get used to.

I have Easton S12's, last year's model, and they were $325.00 out the door. Price was no object because I ref a lot and comfort is key. I can't believe how much carbon fiber and hard plastic is in skates nowadays.

Have fun, go to Great Skate and get 'em there and they'll bake 'em for you. Just don't walk around while they're cooling down. Just sit and relax and hopefully there will be some hot hockey moms in there to look at!

I switched last year from CCMs, my old CCMs had some wear through the leather, to Bauer only because they didn't have my size in the new CCM pros. Hockey Monkey has a sale on right now for the senior 06s and 08s right now. The Bauers seem to have a slightly shorter blade and a little more forward lean. The boots themselves feel like they lost 2-3lbs. Amazing, didn't think they could get that much lighter. I am told the new CCMs are similar. CCMs are a little wider sized and I still skate without socks so if you do too make sure they fit snug.

He's right.

I had to switch to Easton's because they have a wider toe box and I have painful bunions. Now I'm getting a little lacebite, but the skates are still not fully broken in.

Keep this in mind - new skates are RIDICULOUSLY stiff and take quite some time to get used to.

I have Easton S12's, last year's model, and they were $325.00 out the door. Price was no object because I ref a lot and comfort is key. I can't believe how much carbon fiber and hard plastic is in skates nowadays.

Have fun, go to Great Skate and get 'em there and they'll bake 'em for you. Just don't walk around while they're cooling down. Just sit and relax and hopefully there will be some hot hockey moms in there to look at!

I wear S15s, and you're very right about the lace bite. Easton's have the worst tongue ever. They pinch nerves in the top of my feet so that I lose feeling in the tops along that bone that runs the length of the foot. I have to wear goaltender lace bite pads from Maltese to keep from killing myself. And they took forever to break in.

My next pair will likely be from Graf. They're the best skate I've ever put on.

If you liked the CCM's, try the new CCM vectors, I think they are closer to the fit of the older CCM's. Stay away from the tacks, they are WIDE!

All of the skate companies have undergone pretty significant changes over the last few years as far as fit is concerned. My recommendation is to get fitted at a pro shop that really knows what they are doing. In my experience, Great Skate is not that place. They have a good selection (for adults, their selection of kid's skates sucks). The Hockey shop in Binghamton is outstanding for getting fitted, and so is Mackay's in Syracuse.

Any skate shop will bake your skates for you, even if you bought them on line, or you can bake them at home in your oven.

Don't worry about the stiffness of the skates. It doesn't last once they are broken in. My 10 and 7 year old wore CCM vector 10.0's for years. Those are as stiff as they come, and the 10 year old has had no problem breaking them in over the years despite the fact he still doesn't weigh 100 lbs. The seven year old has never had a new pair of skates, as he gets the hand me downs.

The skate shop put my 10 year old in Bauer Supremes this year, which took a couple weeks for him to get used to (really put him up on his toes compared to his CCMs) but now he loves them. Talk about stiff! At the skate shop's recommendation, I put him him in the 175's instead of the 195's out of fear he wouldn't be able to break them in as they are so stiff out of the box. Now I am worried they won't last long enough for the seven year old to wear them.

Hockey monkey and giant are the big ones, and good, but their shipping is slow. Everything comes out of California. I have had really good luck with Total Hockey.net.

Yeah, shipping's probably not a good option since I'll be out of town for two weeks and then more than likely, have a game the day I get back. Yeah, that's going to lead to a comfort issue in those games (unless I get some skating in while home), but it's the best I can do. My broken skate is technically still skateable, but that seems borderline suicidal.

I appreciate all the online options though. It's a good price check if nothing else. I just miss the days where I could head up to Canada and pick up a pair. Stupid new passport law.

Yeah, shipping's probably not a good option since I'll be out of town for two weeks and then more than likely, have a game the day I get back. Yeah, that's going to lead to a comfort issue in those games (unless I get some skating in while home), but it's the best I can do. My broken skate is technically still skateable, but that seems borderline suicidal.

I appreciate all the online options though. It's a good price check if nothing else. I just miss the days where I could head up to Canada and pick up a pair. Stupid new passport law.

You would be surprised on the shipping. Give them a call and see how fast they can get them to you even at the address in Buffalo. I have a pair of Bauer XXV and man they are light. Though there are times the idea of the CCM Vapors or Pros seem like a nice idea. CCMS Blades tend to be a little longer and flatter. Depends on your style, but go online then call the stores and talk to the reps. The TACKS are wide.

Also for form fitting. Oven on warm, laces tucked all the way in, 10 min in and half an hour to an hour laced on tight with dress socks or non in front of the TV. They feel great right away.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about skating this winter as a recreational activity (no hockey at this point).

I played pee-wee (at Leisure rinks in the early 80s), but quit due to some health issues. I haven't really been on ice skates since, but I have roller-bladed in my late teens and still downhill ski once in awhile. So I can move around reasonably well, other than backwards. :)

So, I'm trying to figure out skates. I figure this is the best place to start asking questions.

• I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that won't catch on. I wouldn't mind spending $100, but I'd have to think if it got to $200. Are there decent skates to be had for this much?
  • My feet are somewhat oddly shaped; the heat-and-mold ski boots I have are a revelation. Are there heat-formed shells in the aforementioned price range?
  • My legs are roughly 1" different in length. Is there any adjustment for height on skates, other than a custom pair?
  • Similarly, my feet are a half-size different. I assume I'll have to buy a smaller pair and have the larger foot punched out?
  • Anything I'm missing?
  • I'm in the Philly area, any recommendation on a shop?

Thanks!

I'm thinking about skating this winter as a recreational activity (no hockey at this point).

I played pee-wee (at Leisure rinks in the early 80s), but quit due to some health issues. I haven't really been on ice skates since, but I have roller-bladed in my late teens and still downhill ski once in awhile. So I can move around reasonably well, other than backwards. :)

So, I'm trying to figure out skates. I figure this is the best place to start asking questions.

• I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that won't catch on. I wouldn't mind spending $100, but I'd have to think if it got to $200. Are there decent skates to be had for this much?
  • My feet are somewhat oddly shaped; the heat-and-mold ski boots I have are a revelation. Are there heat-formed shells in the aforementioned price range?
  • My legs are roughly 1" different in length. Is there any adjustment for height on skates, other than a custom pair?
  • Similarly, my feet are a half-size different. I assume I'll have to buy a smaller pair and have the larger foot punched out?
  • Anything I'm missing?
  • I'm in the Philly area, any recommendation on a shop?

Thanks!

geez... did you forget one leg was wooden? haha

1. yes.

2. yes.

3. you can put lifts in between the holder and the boot. Not sure about 1". Patty L. used to have a 1/4" one on one boot.

4. correct.

5. No. Buy something that fits. You have a lot of options.

6. No. But I do here in MD.

They can heat mold just about anything from what I can tell. They claim that the higher priced ones have a better design for that, but I don't know how much better they would be since I'm going nowhere near those $500 skates (except for checking them out to see how ridiculously light they are).

Anyway, since I started the thread, I'll say that I spent about $280 for a pair of CCMs last week. Unfortunately I won't get to skate on them until a game on monday, but they feel great so far.

As far as the mainstream skate manufacturers go (meaning Im excluding Graf's, as they're insanely expensive), CCM is prolly the best bet.

They make, IMO, the most comfortable boot and CCM typically have better steel in their blades.

Easton makes some of the most uncomfortable boots I've skated on.

CCM V06's and above (V06, V08, U+) are a safe bet. They can be had starting around 150 and up.

Either way, 200 bucks can get you a decent pair of skates. But they don't make them like they used to. Most of the blades on skates are produced in China now, and the Chinese steel is pretty cheap.

I believe the only skate company to still make everything on the skate exclusively in Canada is Graf. If youre serious hardcore and have money to spend, get a pair of Graf's, hands down. For a semi-serious, yet enthusiastic and active player, a pair of midrange CCM skates are a good place to start looking. Just be sure to really dry the blades after each use on these new skates. The steel is shoddy and will rust quickly.

I have a pair of CCM V06's, and I enjoy them. The only negative thing I can say is they're not even a year old, and the eyelets all corroded and fell apart. Cheap aluminum. They used to make the eyelets with brass I believe.

As far as the mainstream skate manufacturers go (meaning Im excluding Graf's, as they're insanely expensive), CCM is prolly the best bet.

They make, IMO, the most comfortable boot and CCM typically have better steel in their blades.

Easton makes some of the most uncomfortable boots I've skated on.

CCM V06's and above (V06, V08, U+) are a safe bet. They can be had starting around 150 and up.

Either way, 200 bucks can get you a decent pair of skates. But they don't make them like they used to. Most of the blades on skates are produced in China now, and the Chinese steel is pretty cheap.

I believe the only skate company to still make everything on the skate exclusively in Canada is Graf. If youre serious hardcore and have money to spend, get a pair of Graf's, hands down. For a semi-serious, yet enthusiastic and active player, a pair of midrange CCM skates are a good place to start looking. Just be sure to really dry the blades after each use on these new skates. The steel is shoddy and will rust quickly.

I have a pair of CCM V06's, and I enjoy them. The only negative thing I can say is they're not even a year old, and the eyelets all corroded and fell apart. Cheap aluminum. They used to make the eyelets with brass I believe.

No offense, but this is the worst advice you could give a person.

People need to buy skates that fit. I could be the heir to Bill Gates fortune and I couldn't get my foot in a Graf if my life depended on it. Recommending brands because they fit you mean literally nothing to the person standing next you.

If his foot is a CCM - then buy CCM. If it is a Bauer - then buy a Bauer.

My advice would be to hit Great Skate, try on a few skates and find a pair and the right size and remember it. You probably know that skate sizes are different from regular shoes and very from skate to skate as well. Find the pair or two you like, remeber the size and then wait till may or june and go to hockeymonkey.com and see if you can get them at a real discount. That's when I stock up on sticks and stuff and they are really just giving stuff away at that time of year.

People need to buy skates that fit. I could be the heir to Bill Gates fortune and I couldn't get my foot in a Graf if my life depended on it. Recommending brands because they fit you mean literally nothing to the person standing next you.

I agree with this. You really just have to try on the skates and find the right one for you.

'Tis true - I've never found CCM's to be comfortable. I've bought nothing but Bauer since I was a tyke.

Also, when I last bought a new pair of skates (about 3-4 years ago), Bauer's higher end skates were still made in Canada but today, who knows? I did buy them at the Great Skate and I got them off-season for a good price; they did the heat-fit for free (they will charge if you bought the skates elsewhere). They have a good variety of brands and sizes in stock (they also sell on the web).

Speaking of, I think I need to dig the blades out and head to the rink one of these days.....

Archived