[OT] Skate Question

shrader

My advice would be to hit Great Skate, try on a few skates and find a pair and the right size and remember it. You probably know that skate sizes are different from regular shoes and very from skate to skate as well. Find the pair or two you like, remeber the size and then wait till may or june and go to hockeymonkey.com and see if you can get them at a real discount. That's when I stock up on sticks and stuff and they are really just giving stuff away at that time of year.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

This is wrong on so many levels.

Hockey shops need customers to survive, not freeloaders who come in test and try on the equipment, occupy the sales staff time and then leave and only to purchase their gear elsewhere. Seriously, WTF is that?

If you want the cheap prices of online stores - that is fine. Order some skates, try them on - and determine in your own uneducated opinion if they are a good fit. If you don't like them, pay to send them back. Do this 15x until you find a pair that you think may fit. You get what you pay for.

But to expect another business to provide you all the services you need to make an educated choice and then flip them the bird on the way out the door is a complete #%^$#! thing to do.

Hockey shops need customers to survive, not freeloaders who come in test and try on the equipment, occupy the sales staff time and then leave and only to purchase their gear elsewhere. Seriously, WTF is that?

If you want the cheap prices of online stores - that is fine. Order some skates, try them on - and determine in your own uneducated opinion if they are a good fit. If you don't like them, pay to send them back. Do this 15x until you find a pair that you think may fit. You get what you pay for.

But to expect another business to provide you all the services you need to make an educated choice and then flip them the bird on the way out the door is a complete #%^$#! thing to do.

Agree totally! :thumbsup:

Agree totally! :thumbsup:

Yeah, because there are never salespeople just standing around, doing nothing, trying to look busy. Gimme a break. Over time, they'll make that money back off of you the next time you're in there overpaying for a stick.

Yeah, because there are never salespeople just standing around, doing nothing, trying to look busy. Gimme a break. Over time, they'll make that money back off of you the next time you're in there overpaying for a stick.

oh, so in your mind - that justifies it? Someone is paying rent, salaries, heat, electricity, stock on the shelves. How much do you need to mark up a stick in order to pay for that? You seem to be knowledgeable on this stuff. :rolleyes:

Again, here's a tip for the cheapskates of the world - if you don't intend to buy equipment from your hockey shop - STAY OUT OF THE HOCKEY SHOP. Buy your stuff online and be happy. If you buy the wrong thing - then deal with your online retailer. Pretty simple.

But to expect others to provide you free services, so that you can give your money to someone else - because they sell something cheaper SINCE THEY DON'T HAVE TO PROVIDE THOSE COSTLY SERVICES YOU JUST ENJOYED is a #%^$#! thing to do.

Why don't the two of you go to modsquadhockey.com and post this stuff... then maybe you can hear from actual store owners about your shopping techniques.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you buy on line, you will have to go to a local hockey shop for heat molding and your initial sharpening (and profiling if they offer it), which will run you about $50.00. Add that cost onto the price of the online skates, and the hockey shop becomes much more competitive.

With hockey shops, those services are almost always included in the price of the skates.

If you know exactly what you are looking for, you can't touch the online stores' prices on last year's or discontinued items.

oh, so in your mind - that justifies it? Someone is paying rent, salaries, heat, electricity, stock on the shelves. How much do you need to mark up a stick in order to pay for that? You seem to be knowledgeable on this stuff. :rolleyes:

Again, here's a tip for the cheapskates of the world - if you don't intend to buy equipment from your hockey shop - STAY OUT OF THE HOCKEY SHOP. Buy your stuff online and be happy. If you buy the wrong thing - then deal with your online retailer. Pretty simple.

But to expect others to provide you free services, so that you can give your money to someone else - because they sell something cheaper SINCE THEY DON'T HAVE TO PROVIDE THOSE COSTLY SERVICES YOU JUST ENJOYED is a #%^$#! thing to do.

Why don't the two of you go to modsquadhockey.com and post this stuff... then maybe you can hear from actual store owners about your shopping techniques.

I buy enough from both to not feel too guilty about it (actually not at all). In fact The last time I was in Great Skate I dropped a grand. And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Great Skate have a huge online presence. If you can tell me that every pair of skates they sold was not tried on at some other shop first, then maybe I'll care,.. probably not.

Oh screw you. Trying on a few skates to see which ones you like is no big deal. If that really bothers you you have some serious mental problems. With all the things businesses do to try and get you to buy there stuff including lying, exagerating and hidden charges, this is hardly a crime. Seriously, WTF is wrong with you?

I buy enough from both to not feel too guilty about it (actually not at all). In fact The last time I was in Great Skate I dropped a grand. And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Great Skate have a huge online presence. If you can tell me that every pair of skates they sold was not tried on at some other shop first, then maybe I'll care,.. probably not.

It's too funny to think there is a morality to 'proper' shopping. I cannot even believe the owners would agree with that guy. They totally want people to come into their stores. People see stuff and buy it all the time even when they were not planning to. The very idea that a person shouldn't shop around for the best deal is ludicrious!

you are acting as if the local hockey shop is a big time corporation. let me tell you, your humble hockey shops are not out to scam their customers.

now if youre trying to find away to not be scammed by a company like, say, microsoft, then fine. by all means, find a way to save every last dime; after all, with the amount of scamming they do, its only right to return the favor.

but contrary to your arrogance, it is a big deal. lots of the guys working in the pro shop are young guys trying to make some money. its not fair for people like you to walk into their store and demand some of their time only to buy online later and leave them hanging.

fitting you for skates is a service that the hockey shop provides. you are demanding that service for free. as it stands, that cost (along with the cost of the initial baking and sharpening) is built into the price you pay for the skates. essentially, the skates from the local hockey shop ARE the same price as you pay online.

what i wish shops did was charge $20 for being fitted, then refund that money when you buy the skates. it would solve a lot of problems. and by problems, i mean people like you.

Oh screw you. Trying on a few skates to see which ones you like is no big deal. If that really bothers you you have some serious mental problems. With all the things businesses do to try and get you to buy there stuff including lying, exagerating and hidden charges, this is hardly a crime. Seriously, WTF is wrong with you?

I'm sure she was asking for it too...

Hey, there are a lot of illogical reasons you can come up with to justify your behavior. People find all kinds of reasons to justify why they take advantage of others. As a grown man - I would think your life's experiences would have taught you better. At least man up and admit what you are doing is wrong, but you're going to continue to do it. Trying to justify what you are doing says a whole lot about your integrity, not mine.

A nice post from MSH:

I had a great experience when I picked up my skates 6 months ago (RBK 5ks). It was my first time buying skates for myself in 6 years.

I walked into the my LHS and told the guy working this exactly. "I have no idea what I'm looking for, but something in the $250-$400 range. I am definitely going to buy from you today, so please bare with me as I want to make sure I get the right skate for my foot."

He sizes me up and then goes into the back. Comes back with about 6 different skates stacked up. He says "try these on while I get some more". End up trying on maybe 15 different boots. When another customer would walk in he'd help them out while I'd be lacing up and then he'd come back and check on the fit. I end up buying my 5ks and picking up another hundred dollars worth of compression gear.

Cool dude, smoked a cig with him while the skates were in the oven. He tossed in a few rolls of tape and extra laces. I wonder if he would have been as patient if he didn't know if he was gonna get a sale.

However, you are going to try and tell everyone here at SabreSpace that someone should wait on you hand and foot, with no hope of earning your business, so you can take your business elsewhere and that there is nothing wrong with this? They should do this for you free, so you can save money with a retailer that can't offer you these services you enjoy? :rolleyes: Where are you going to try on your skates when everyone buys online?

Read up on karma my friend. What goes around comes around... I hope your line of work doesn't depend on customers like you to survive.

In looking deeper into it, I realized that evey piece of equipment I use was purchased at a LHS (either at my local shop or at Great Skate when I'm back in B-lo).

There is one thing that you haven't thought of that may soften your stance on this matter. I don't have time to do a lot of shopping at different stores. I will go to the big online retailers and see what's out there and what the cost is, then go to my LHS to make the purchase. Is that an immoral shopping practice. My LHS benefitted from me using the services of the online store. I think they both benefit from the services each other provides.

I own a business, not hockey related, but service related.

Not every person who comes through my doors are going to "buy" from me. I give them great service, answer questions, some advice and let them make their own decision.

Many of my clients have come to me through referrals from those that didn't buy, but liked the service they received.

That's my karma.

In looking deeper into it, I realized that evey piece of equipment I use was purchased at a LHS (either at my local shop or at Great Skate when I'm back in B-lo).

There is one thing that you haven't thought of that may soften your stance on this matter. I don't have time to do a lot of shopping at different stores. I will go to the big online retailers and see what's out there and what the cost is, then go to my LHS to make the purchase. Is that an immoral shopping practice. My LHS benefitted from me using the services of the online store. I think they both benefit from the services each other provides.

You make a very valid point...

I have bought things online... many times. I do try and support my LHS though. But overall, I try to do what's right. Openly advocating taking advantage of a labor-intensive skate fitting is flat out wrong though.

To reinforce your point I'll give you a personal experience from this past week.

I was doing research on equipment. My online shop of choice is icewarehouse because I can call and ask questions and they offer videos for many of their items which I thought was tremendous. I ordered from them and would have even if their price was higher than hockeygiant or hockeymonkey because they gave me value beyond just price. They took the time to earn my business.

So anyway, I get the item in the mail and it doesn't fit. So, I go to my LHS, try on 12 pairs of this piece and I bought the one that fits right there. I didn't go back and shop them online. They provided a service and I thanked them with my business. I'll return the item I bought from IW and pay the shipping penalty.

I'm sure she was asking for it too...

Hey, there are a lot of illogical reasons you can come up with to justify your behavior. People find all kinds of reasons to justify why they take advantage of others. As a grown man - I would think your life's experiences would have taught you better. At least man up and admit what you are doing is wrong, but you're going to continue to do it. Trying to justify what you are doing says a whole lot about your integrity, not mine.

A nice post from MSH:

However, you are going to try and tell everyone here at SabreSpace that someone should wait on you hand and foot, with no hope of earning your business, so you can take your business elsewhere and that there is nothing wrong with this? They should do this for you free, so you can save money with a retailer that can't offer you these services you enjoy? :rolleyes: Where are you going to try on your skates when everyone buys online?

Read up on karma my friend. What goes around comes around... I hope your line of work doesn't depend on customers like you to survive.

This is such a bull s*** argument. You act like a crime was committed. The guys waiting on me "hand and foot" are getting paid regardless. No one is hurt, no damage is done at all, if I check out merchadise and then buy somewhere else. And are you actually relying on karma to prove your point?? OMG, that is funny! If I choose to look out for myself and save money I'm doing exactly what I would expect the business owner to do. Look around and find the best deal and get it done the easiest way possible. No appologies here. Hell, its the American way, karma or no karma

you are acting as if the local hockey shop is a big time corporation. let me tell you, your humble hockey shops are not out to scam their customers.

now if youre trying to find away to not be scammed by a company like, say, microsoft, then fine. by all means, find a way to save every last dime; after all, with the amount of scamming they do, its only right to return the favor.

but contrary to your arrogance, it is a big deal. lots of the guys working in the pro shop are young guys trying to make some money. its not fair for people like you to walk into their store and demand some of their time only to buy online later and leave them hanging.

fitting you for skates is a service that the hockey shop provides. you are demanding that service for free. as it stands, that cost (along with the cost of the initial baking and sharpening) is built into the price you pay for the skates. essentially, the skates from the local hockey shop ARE the same price as you pay online.

what i wish shops did was charge $20 for being fitted, then refund that money when you buy the skates. it would solve a lot of problems. and by problems, i mean people like you.

This manufactured outrage is laughable.

BTW, Great Skate should train their people better on how to sharpen skates. They are terrible at it. Twice in a row they botched my skates.

This manufactured outrage is laughable.

BTW, Great Skate should train their people better on how to sharpen skates. They are terrible at it. Twice in a row they botched my skates.

youre saying that it is laughable to charge a customer for providing a service to them?

is it really outrageous to charge $20 for properly fitting a customer and allowing them to try on (multiple) skates?

then refund that money if they purchase the skates from you...

is it really outrageous to charge $20 for properly fitting a customer and allowing them to try on (multiple) skates?

then refund that money if they purchase the skates from you...

That seems reasonable to me, but I think some people would balk at that. Similar to paying to test-drive a car, what happens if you can't find anything that you like at a particular store? You're out $20.

Thanks everyone for the replies (especially SDS's point-by-point). To sum up the high points:

- Skates are like motorcycles helmets, they have different internal shapes so you might have a 'Bauer' foot (or even 'particular model of Bauer foot').

- Heat molding is an option even on the less expensive skates. (yay!)

- I might to be able to mitigate my leg and foot deformities. :)

As for the local shop discussion, in most things I try to strike a balance between low-cost internet suppliers and local shops. It's rare that I'd walk into a shop and take up a salespersons time with every intention of buying on the net, but there's a certain cost threshold where the internet comes into play. Something like shoes or skates are generally too difficult to size on the internet, especially since skates need to be prepped locally anyways.

I get to skate on my new skates tonight for the first time. I'd rather not do that in a game, but what choice do I have? This should be interesting.

Rumblin, Bumblin, and stumblin! :thumbsup:

I get to play goal for the third time ever tomorrow. One of these days I'll buy some skates from this decade (or the last for that matter).

post-1361-12626303948841_thumb.jpg

:pirate:

Break into Fenway for a quicky?

They had a public skate out there yesterday. I wouldn't have been there even if I was in town though. Anyway, great skate did a horrible job sharpening my left skate. The entire front half wouldn't bite into the ice at all. What made it even more fun was the fact that the new skates feel a bit toe heavy right now. Those two details don't got together so well.

Bringing the thread back from the dead...

So I picked up a pair of skates, but I'm having a bit of buyers remorse. The guy at the shop wasn't super-helpful, I probably should have left and tried a few other places first. It's a good thing I'm not a girl, or I'd hook up with any guy that bought me dinner. :)

A few questions:

- There doesn't seem to be a ton of ankle side-to-side support. I was thinking they'd be more like ski boots or even inline skates (buckle type, not hockey). It doesn't feel like my feet are moving around in the skates, but they only come up to the 'ankle bone' (the ones that stick out on either side).

- The tongue and back go up significantly further, but don't touch my legs. Are you expected to tape the upper portion of the boot to your legs to effectively lock up your ankles?

- Anyone tried to return skates? I haven't used them and only wore them once after taking them home to get a feeling for them, but they have been sharpened. I'd imagine it's shop-dependent, just looking for experience.

The way I buy skates is to lace them up in the store and see if I can run in them around the store. I figured this out after having worn a pair of Easton S7s for a few years. I started playing goal about two months ago and my 20 year old Bauer goalie skates felt so much better that I couldn't skate in the Easton's anymore. They felt so wrong.

So I went to the local shop and tried on everything they had. Realized that I really liked the stiffer boot of the Bauer Vapor series (it's probably the stiffest there is), and decided that I would buy them. I've been breaking them (Bauer Vapor X20's) in for about a week and I've never been happier. They're stiffer for my ankles, and the tongue is thicker to prevent lace bite, and the instep is higher which gives the top of my feet more comfort.

If your skates fit right, they should be comfortable, your heel should "lock" in to the back of the skate, your toes should just brush the toe cap, and you should theoretically be able to stand/hop around on one foot, depending on how good your balance is. The goal is to make sure you are wearing a stiff enough boot that keeps your foot locked in but not too uncomfortably. These were all mistakes I made when I bought my Easton's and I wont make them again.

The boot is going to feel lower than ski boots, and they wont be quite as stiff side to side. But they should still provide you enough support if you have them laced up right. The first three laces and the last three are the most important. You want to make sure they are good and tight. Personally, I find that of the top three laces, the lowest two need to be tighter than the top lace, but that depends on the person and ability.

Don't wrap your laces around the ankle, don't tape the skate to your leg. And make sure you always wear the same thickness of sock. Different types of socks will make the skate feel different.

Also, when you're putting the skate on, as you lace it up, kick your heel of the blade holder on the ground a little to make sure you're keeping your heel locked in.

What skates did you buy? You might be able to return them if you haven't taken them out on ice yet.

Archived