Vintage Logo

weehawk

From Icethetics...

While nothing has been made official just yet, everything is beginning to point to the notion that the Buffalo Sabres will retreat from the slug and give that classic 1970s primary mark another go. (I'll have details on this from Larry Quinn soon.)

Retro is in right now in the NHL and it seems like a vast majority of the teams are looking backward to move their uniforms forward. Sabres fans have been begging for a return to the team's original look. Their wish may soon come true.

The logo will continue to appear this season at center ice in the HSBC Arena and on tons of merchandise along with the team's official web site and other electronic and social media.

It likely will not be this year. I think the Sabres will play the 13 or 15, or whatever number of games with the third sweater, like they did last year, but the Slug will be around this year. They have already worn it during the exhibition season, which leads me to believe, they are going to be using the slug this year as the primary logo. Too bad cause it sucks.

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but you may want to try using the search function. This isn't exactly a new idea here. It's come up about 675 times now. You can find previous discussion about this if you look for it.

Then again, unless the "old" one is near the top of the page, it's easy to miss. Are we supposed to do a search for similar threads before starting new ones? Doesn't seem practical. Once enough time has passed since the old thread died down, I don't have a problem with a new thread on the same subject. The mods can merge them if necessary.

Then again, unless the "old" one is near the top of the page, it's easy to miss. Are we supposed to do a search for similar threads before starting new ones? Doesn't seem practical. Once enough time has passed since the old thread died down, I don't have a problem with a new thread on the same subject. The mods can merge them if necessary.

I'm just saying that it's out there if you want to look for it. This subject has probably come up more than anything else on here. I'm sure some people have said all they can about it at this point and won't want to say it all over again. You might not get the true feel for what people around here think on this topic unless you read some of that older stuff.

I'm just saying that it's out there if you want to look for it. This subject has probably come up more than anything else on here. I'm sure some people have said all they can about it at this point and won't want to say it all over again. You might not get the true feel for what people around here think on this topic unless you read some of that older stuff.

I'm willing to bet the firing of DR and LQ will give that a run for its money for being talked about most.

You ARE being an ass. Dont read my post and dont respond to it if you dont want to...douche.

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but you may want to try using the search function. This isn't exactly a new idea here. It's come up about 675 times now. You can find previous discussion about this if you look for it.

You ARE being an ass. Dont read my post and dont respond to it if you dont want to...douche.

I can't know what it's about unless I read it, so how would I know I don't want to read it if I don't read it? And if I was being an ass, I might point out that you should probably put that whole thing in quotes, or at least offer your own opinion on the subject, instead of passing off someone else's thoughts as your own. But I'm not being an ass, so I won't do that.

I'll apologize in advance if this was previously posted. but I didnt see it anywhere. Certainly not official, but its as close as you're gonna get for now.

From Icethetics...

Larry Quinn, managing partner of the Buffalo Sabres was on Leafs Lunch with Bill Watters on AM 640 Toronto today (9/10). He let slip that the Sabres are migrating to wearing the retro sweaters full time. Audio isn't up on the website yet, but I'm sure it will be soon. Thought you'd like to know. Goodbye Buffaslug!

I'll apologize in advance if this was previously posted. but I didnt see it anywhere. Certainly not official, but its as close as you're gonna get for now.

From Icethetics...

Larry Quinn, managing partner of the Buffalo Sabres was on Leafs Lunch with Bill Watters on AM 640 Toronto today (9/10). He let slip that the Sabres are migrating to wearing the retro sweaters full time. Audio isn't up on the website yet, but I'm sure it will be soon. Thought you'd like to know. Goodbye Buffaslug!

Cool. That's an interesting site to visit, too.

Sluggalo sounds so much better than Buffaslug. I've never understood why people use the 2nd name for it. But anyway, while it is pretty obvious that this switch is coming, I'm doubting that report a bit. It says Quinn's comment was made on 9/10. They should have found audio by now.

From Icethetics...

For what it's worth, he let it slip last year on WGR during a pregame interview. Next year, from what he said, they will be wearing the current 3rds as a fulltime jersey, with an away version that we have yet to see obviously. All neatly in time for their 40th anniversary season.

So basically everyone bitching about the slug for the past 8 or so months has been a completely moot point. Just be patient.

So basically everyone bitching about the slug for the past 8 or so months has been a completely moot point. Just be patient.

I understand where you are coming from, but the front office, Larry Quinn in particular, deserves serious criticism. They blew it from the on set. The whole idea, minus the spike in jersey sales, was terribly handled. All they had to do was reincarnate a version of the old logo. It was a homerun, slam dunk, easiest thing a marketing group ever had to do.

So what do they do, hire some "cutting edge" focus group, that used phrases like "thinking outside the box", "big picture", and "core competencies". This group obviously knows nothing about the Sabres, the fans or the culture of hockey. They piss off the entire fan base with the Sluggalo, go scrambling for some old school jerseys at home and telling everyone, we're going to use these as our third jerseys.

The whole scenario is laughable. I guess they lined their pockets with a fan base's money, buying memorabilia reluctantly, because they support the team through thick and thin. Now they are just going to do what they should have done to begin with? A #%^$#!ing joke.

I understand where you are coming from, but the front office, Larry Quinn in particular, deserves serious criticism. They blew it from the on set. The whole idea, minus the spike in jersey sales, was terribly handled. All they had to do was reincarnate a version of the old logo. It was a homerun, slam dunk, easiest thing a marketing group ever had to do.

So what do they do, hire some "cutting edge" focus group, that used phrases like "thinking outside the box", "big picture", and "core competencies". This group obviously knows nothing about the Sabres, the fans or the culture of hockey. They piss off the entire fan base with the Sluggalo, go scrambling for some old school jerseys at home and telling everyone, we're going to use these as our third jerseys.

The whole scenario is laughable. I guess they lined their pockets with a fan base's money, buying memorabilia reluctantly, because they support the team through thick and thin. Now they are just going to do what they should have done to begin with? A #%^$#!ing joke.

Or their hand is forced by reebok and their horrible ideas at re-imaging hockey, then they quickly realized they had to make changes once the entire league revolted against reebok.

Archived