Vintage Logo

weehawk

Or their hand is forced by reebok and their horrible ideas at re-imaging hockey, then they quickly realized they had to make changes once the entire league revolted against reebok.

I've heard reference to this before, not sure if it was you. It certainly sounds feasible. Wasn't one other teams jersey changed as well? Alcohol kills brain cells...

Anaheim's new jerseys were unveiled at around the same time as ours.

I'd buy that Buffalo volunteered to be the guinea pigs for the Reebok jerseys and got completely screwed by it...

How exactly did they get screwed by it? Sales were through the roof. The timing was impeccable as the team was soaring. Now they have a backlash and fans want a return to the orginal. They'll sell a bunch more. One man's blunder may be another man's calculated gambit.

LQ

I'd buy that Buffalo volunteered to be the guinea pigs for the Reebok jerseys and got completely screwed by it...

Except the didn't volunteer. Both teams wanted to change at that point in time, but were forced to go by the style that reebok abandoned after the jerseys had already been created. Yes, this is mostly speculation on my part, but there are too many similarities between the Sabres and Ducks jerseys, the biggest being the non-traditional, non-circular logos.

For what it's worth, he let it slip last year on WGR during a pregame interview. Next year, from what he said, they will be wearing the current 3rds as a fulltime jersey, with an away version that we have yet to see obviously. All neatly in time for their 40th anniversary season.

Of course we all know that we shouldn't expect to see the original white jersey.

How exactly did they get screwed by it? Sales were through the roof. The timing was impeccable as the team was soaring. Now they have a backlash and fans want a return to the orginal. They'll sell a bunch more. One man's blunder may be another man's calculated gambit.

LQ

I think they were screwed in the regard they got a design that looked dumb. It's a bad move on their part, but I wouldn't be surprised if they signed on the dotted line and were told "don't worry, we'll come up with something good for you"

Sure they made a ton, so all in all it wasn't a total disaster, just embarrassing for a few years.

I think they were screwed in the regard they got a design that looked dumb. It's a bad move on their part, but I wouldn't be surprised if they signed on the dotted line and were told "don't worry, we'll come up with something good for you"

Sure they made a ton, so all in all it wasn't a total disaster, just embarrassing for a few years.

The embarrassment thing is completely overplayed. Our fans can say all they want, but no one really cares. Just take a look at all the hideous uniforms around professional sports. Are they all embarrassed too?

The embarrassment thing is completely overplayed. Our fans can say all they want, but no one really cares. Just take a look at all the hideous uniforms around professional sports. Are they all embarrassed too?

How about a professional sports team wearing neon green pinnies..

post-1053-12541998979032_thumb.jpg

post-1053-1254199916431_thumb.jpg

Now, they had to be embarrassed.

I was extraordinarily cautious about purchasing any Sluggalo merchandise as I hated everything about it. I had a sweatshirt but I gave that away. I also had a hat that I no longer wear. I do have a sweatshirt that I do wear, with a very understated sluggalo and a more prominant "Sabres". Now I'm pissed that I have a article of clothing that has this stupid, ugly thing on it that I don't want to wear anymore.

BTW, all the items were gifted to me.

I was extraordinarily cautious about purchasing any Sluggalo merchandise as I hated everything about it. I had a sweatshirt but I gave that away. I also had a hat that I no longer wear. I do have a sweatshirt that I do wear, with a very understated sluggalo and a more prominant "Sabres". Now I'm pissed that I have a article of clothing that has this stupid, ugly thing on it that I don't want to wear anymore.

BTW, all the items were gifted to me.

It bugs me that my Sabres slug hat is by far the most comfortable hat I've ever owned. It really doesn't bother me wearing anything with that logo on it though. I don't regret buying either of the jerseys I have. There's still a bit of a collector in me who wants to have one of each jersey they wore.

Personally the only slug items I own are:

A pen

and

a beer mug, that was gifted to me at a secret santa thing.

And the thought of dropping 170 or whatever on a slug jersey sounds like the worst idea ever. I have 3 jerseys also...blue and white OG's, and a current 3rd...

I basically have lived in denial about the slug for the past few years. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't exist.

I've been fortunate not to spend one thin dime on any slug stuff. If I was gifted any, I would re-gift it. That' how much I hate it. I did buy some goat head stuff a while back because that was the logo when I held season tix. I have a game-quality white vintage logo jersey and that's about it. Cant wait for a full line of vintage logo goodies to go on sale. Bummer we'll have to wait until next year for a full selection. DIE SLUG DIE!

There's still a bit of a collector in me who wants to have one of each jersey they wore.

Same here. I managed to get an authentic (on-ice) home Roy jersey for very cheap (about $150 total with lettering), so I'm not too upset about that. I'll never wear it to a game, but I like having it. Someday, I'll get a white one, too, but I find it to be the ugliest jersey ever worn by the Sabres.

In addition, I do have a couple of t-shirts with small faded slugs next to Sabres' wordmarks that were given to me. I like the "gold" (dark yellow) one because it matches the gold in the jerseys, so I can wear it underneath. I also have a blue hoody with a similar small faded slug that I like despite the logo. These are generally worn just around the house.

I have several pieces of clothing with original logo (some original colors and some with the new colors) that I wear far more often. Two of my favorites are CCM vintage clothes where the logo is made from several layers of fabric sewn onto each other, giving it a 1970's jersey feel. One has the royal blue, while the other has the navy (I believe that this is the navy one, but the logo isn't that light in person. Mine came from Kohl's, on clearance for $5. :thumbsup: ) They look great and have enough of a old school design feel that they don't look like most modern sports garb. They are much classier.

Don't forget though that Anaheim had to change logos/colors as there was an ownership change from Disney to the current owners. Disney did not want the new ownership using their logo and colors (which were stupid and ugly anyway). The Sabres were changing back on their own accord; the ownership had changed, but the goat head logo did still belong to the team. I've always tried to imagine what the goat head would have looked like in blue and gold......but not real hard. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is complaining about the Sabres color change though, I like the slug jersey just fine if the slug wasn't on them. The point is Anaheim and Buffalo were the guinea pigs for a failed uniform system, and Buffalo got stuck with something (I hope) they didn't want. 4 seasons really isn't too long to phase out something that sucks and still maximize sales and whatever else they can wring out of it. So kudos to them for making a few bucks, and eventually doing the right thing.

The sad part is that all I had to do to answer Moongate's question was to point at your avatar. :doh:

See, that's why I didn't have to imagine too hard....that and another "senior moment" (just had another birthday this week...if I remember correctly :blink: )

Archived