Observations from today's scrimmage...

LabattBlue

They played two 15 minute periods of 5 on 5 and then 5 minutes of the 3rd period period, followed by 10 minutes of 4 on 4 and a shootout at the end. Final score was 3-1 with Ennis, Larsen & Schutz scoring for the winners and I believe it was Montador off a feed from Rivet scoring during 4 on 4.

-First two periods were terrible. Very few shots on goal, 1 goal and very shoddy play.

-There was almost no hitting. I counted maybe 4 legitimate body checks. 3 by some guy named Stokes and 1 by Kaleta. That was it for 45 minutes of hockey.

-Ennis scored on a breakaway off a nice pass(didn't see who made the pass). He is listed at 5'9" 163 pounds. I can see guys getting by who are shorter than the norm, but I don't know how you can stand up to the rigors of the NHL at that weight. Byron who wasn't dressed is even worse, listed at 5'9" 143 pounds. By comparison, Roy is listed at 5'9" 188 and Gerbe at 5'5" 173.

-Tallinder gave away the puck several times and looked like the Tallinder from last season. Oh goody!

-Myers can skate, but beyond that did not stand out at all. I saw him make several passes into the players skates and at times he looked lost standing in front of the goalie looking like he was not sure who to cover. If he is being looked upon to be a difference maker this year, then I hope he was just having a bad day.

-Ennis, Gerbe & Myers all scored nice goals in the SO...especially the one by Ennis.

-I'm not sure how serious Connolly was taking the scrimmage as he seemed to just wanted to stickhandle the whole time. At one point he was down on his knees in the slot and continued to stickhandle for about 4 or 5 seconds. That being said, he did make one nice cross ice pass to Vanek who was stopped by Miller.

-Luke Adam stood out a couple of times and I had heard about Kassian's skating being subpar, but it didn't seem that bad to me and he certainly has time to improve that part of his game.

-Pominville made Brennan look like a fool in the 3rd period as he left him grasping at nothing but air.

-Young McNabb made a nice play in the slot to go down and deflect a point blank chance by Kassian.

I should have taken some notes as this is all I remember.

They played two 15 minute periods of 5 on 5 and then 5 minutes of the 3rd period period, followed by 10 minutes of 4 on 4 and a shootout at the end. Final score was 3-1 with Ennis, Larsen & Schutz scoring for the winners and I believe it was Montador off a feed from Rivet scoring during 4 on 4.

-First two periods were terrible. Very few shots on goal, 1 goal and very shoddy play.

-There was almost no hitting. I counted maybe 4 legitimate body checks. 3 by some guy named Stokes and 1 by Kaleta. That was it for 45 minutes of hockey.

-Ennis scored on a breakaway off a nice pass(didn't see who made the pass). He is listed at 5'9" 163 pounds. I can see guys getting by who are shorter than the norm, but I don't know how you can stand up to the rigors of the NHL at that weight. Byron who wasn't dressed is even worse, listed at 5'9" 143 pounds. By comparison, Roy is listed at 5'9" 188 and Gerbe at 5'5" 173.

-Tallinder gave away the puck several times and looked like the Tallinder from last season. Oh goody!

-Myers can skate, but beyond that did not stand out at all. I saw him make several passes into the players skates and at times he looked lost standing in front of the goalie looking like he was not sure who to cover. If he is being looked upon to be a difference maker this year, then I hope he was just having a bad day.

-Ennis, Gerbe & Myers all scored nice goals in the SO...especially the one by Ennis.

-I'm not sure how serious Connolly was taking the scrimmage as he seemed to just wanted to stickhandle the whole time. At one point he was down on his knees in the slot and continued to stickhandle for about 4 or 5 seconds. That being said, he did make one nice cross ice pass to Vanek who was stopped by Miller.

-Luke Adam stood out a couple of times and I had heard about Kassian's skating being subpar, but it didn't seem that bad to me and he certainly has time to improve that part of his game.

-Pominville made Brennan look like a fool in the 3rd period as he left him grasping at nothing but air.

-Young McNabb made a nice play in the slot to go down and deflect a point blank chance by Kassian.

Good summary. Thanks. Much better then what Sabres.com has thats for sure.

As for Luke Adam, he's a guy who i am starting to like a lot. Every time he plays somewhere, people are raving about him. If it's for team Canada or for his junior team, or even in camp in Buffalo. You're not the only person to mention he has looked good. I bought the McKeen's hockey preview magazine and it just arrived yesterday.... they mostly talk about current players but also have things about each team's top prospects. They have A LOT of good things about Adam and compare him to Ryane Clowe of the Sharks. Not too bad for a comparison.

During the draft, TSN applauded Sabres for picking Adam as a "gem" and compared him to a more skilled Steve Bernier. Seems like his game has developed well.

Thanks for the report. Was Weber playing? When I saw him at the rookie camp he was wearing a red-jersey. Just wondering if he has been ok'd for contact.

Not sure about today, but i do know he's been playing and hitting. According to many, including Kevin Sylvester, he's been one of the better players at camp.

Staying on defense, don’t forget about Mike Weber. He was not only impressive with the rookies, but also during scrimmage with the veterans. He’s done a nice job patrolling the back end and his size is also noticeable. Weber also brings some grit and is not afraid to mix it up. If Weber and Myers continue to impress, then some tough choices will have to be made.

Link to Kevin's blog- http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=498612

The size is an obvious concern, but we have to remember that we're talking about 19 year old and 20 year old first year pros in Ennis and Byron. Yeah, we can't change the height, but give them time in a professional strength training program and they will add some pounds. Gerbe is now 22 and has one year under his belt, plus his 3 years in a very serious program at BC. Just for comparison sake, when he was 20, BC had him listed at 160, so he has gained a significant amount. It is interesting though that even then, his weight was up there with the taller Ennis and miles ahead of Byron.

Does anyone know where Roy stacked up when he first joined the team? I wouldn't even know where to look for that.

The size is an obvious concern, but we have to remember that we're talking about 19 year old and 20 year old first year pros in Ennis and Byron. Yeah, we can't change the height, but give them time in a professional strength training program and they will add some pounds. Gerbe is now 22 and has one year under his belt, plus his 3 years in a very serious program at BC. Just for comparison sake, when he was 20, BC had him listed at 160, so he has gained a significant amount. It is interesting though that even then, his weight was up there with the taller Ennis and miles ahead of Byron.

Does anyone know where Roy stacked up when he first joined the team? I wouldn't even know where to look for that.

Good points. I'm much more concerned about Ennis than Byron, as I don't know how much of an NHL prospect Byron is.

Wouldn't it be sweet if one of the prospects (Gerbe, Kennedy, Myers, Ennis, or someone) just played so effing well in camp that the Sabres absolutely had to keep him in Buffalo and play him a lot? And he just burned up the league as a rookie? Couldn't we get some kind of freakish bolt of lightning in a POSITIVE way once in a while?

I don't know about his weight, but his 2002 Preseason (he went back to Kitchener that year) jersey is a size 50 (ain't collections grand?) and from 2003 on he's worn a size 52. :thumbsup:

SOunds like Munchkinland!!!

I was there today as well and thought that Ennis looked even smaller than Gerbe. Gerbe didn't stand out either. I don't think I noticed him until the third period. Kassian is a big guy and will be a physical presence when he gets his turn in a year or two.

You certainly can't miss Myers. I thought he was solid enough and really likes that poke check with the long reach of his. I hope he can take the man as well and doesn't get burned if he whiffs on the poke in the pre-season. The exhibition games will certainly go a long way with that evaluation. I really believe that Darcy will let Tallinder and perhaps even Lydman walk next year and that will open up spots for Weber and Myers next year, but it's really tough to see the two young guys staying up this year - barring injury.

SOunds like Munchkinland!!!

Hardly, times are a changing:

Forwards

Paul Byron---5'8"--135

Tim Connolly-6'1"--190

Jeff Cowan---6'2"--205

Matt Ellis---6'0"--207

Paul Gaustad-6'5"--225

Mike Grier---6'1"--225

Jochen Hecht-6'1"--191

Pat Kaleta---5'11"-195

C. MacArthur-5'11"-191

Adam Mair----6'1"--208

C. McCormick-6'3"--215

D. Paille----6'0"--197

J.Pominville-6'0"--186

Derek Roy----5'9"--188

Felix Schutz-5'11"-187

D. Stafford--6'2"--202

T. Turnbull--6'0"--193

Thomas Vanek-6'2"--208

D. Whitmore--5'10"-189

Defensemen

T.J Brennan--6'0"--204

Chris Butler-6'1"--178

Joe Dipenta--6'2"--199

M. Generous--6'3"--185

M. Kostka----6'2"--210

Toni Lydman--6'1"--204

S. Montador--6'0"--210

N. Paetsch---6'1"--198

Craig Rivet--6'2"--210

D. Schiestel-6'1"--180

A. Sekera----6'0"--191

H. Tallinder-6'3"--214

Prospects

Forwards

Luke Adam----6'2"--203

D. Denisov---6'0"--183

Tyler Ennis--5'9"--146

Nathan Gerbe-5'6"--160

P.Gogulla----6'2"--176

J.Jokinen----6'2"--165

Tim Kennedy--5'10"-170

Jacob Lagace-5'11"-190

M.Sheviev----6'1"--176

Corey Tropp--6'0"--183

Defensemen

Alex Biega---5'10"-191

Buravchikov--6'1"--189

N. Crawford--6'1"--188

Denis Ezhov--5'11"-200

C. Fienhage--6'2"--190

M.A.Gragnani-6'1"--180

D.Mackenzie--6'2"--200

Tyler Myers--6'7"--204

D.Persson----6'1"--181

J. Southorn--6'2"--185

P. Voroshnin-6'2"--183

Mike Weber---6'2"--199

Not so sure about that prospect list from Sabres.com, as Artem Kryukov was still on it (I took out the players I know I gone), but I wanted to give a snapshot of the size of the Sabres. If you want to tell me they are the softest team, I'll agree, but their size is not the issue.

Inkman, I'd be tempted to take that a step further and bold anyone under 6 feet. I was surprised by how few of them I noticed while scanning through that list.

Blue, I like you comment about Byron because I can't help but laugh every time I see his weight listed. The team will probably use him as a barbell in the gym.

Inkman, I'd be tempted to take that a step further and bold anyone under 6 feet. I was surprised by how few of them I noticed while scanning through that list.

Done!

Blue, I like you comment about Byron because I can't help but laugh every time I see his weight listed. The team will probably use him as a barbell in the gym.

That list is at least a year old, as Mancari, Zagrapan, and Kyrukov of all people were still on the list. So I would take Byron's weight with a grain of salt. He was probably close to 16 when he was weighed in. I was 5'9" 135lbs when I graduated high school, 2 years later I was 5'10" 160lbs, 3 more years 5'10" 195". So dude could fill out if he does it right.

As far as Sabres.com, they need to hire someone with some hockey acumen. Christ Almighty, Artem Kryukov??? :wallbash:

Done!

That list is at least a year old, as Mancari, Zagrapan, and Kyrukov of all people were still on the list. So I would take Byron's weight with a grain of salt. He was probably close to 16 when he was weighed in. I was 5'9" 135lbs when I graduated high school, 2 years later I was 5'10" 160lbs, 3 more years 5'10" 195". So dude could fill out if he does it right.

As far as Sabres.com, they need to hire someone with some hockey acumen. Christ Almighty, Artem Kryukov??? :wallbash:

Considering the Kryukov pick turned out to be a disaster, you would think the Sabres would be anxious to remove any reference to him from their website ASAP.

PS The player weights I was referencing were from the training camp handout they gave out yesterday, but that probably doesn't mean much if they pulled the info from their website. :doh:

Not so sure about that prospect list from Sabres.com, as Artem Kryukov was still on it (I took out the players I know I gone), but I wanted to give a snapshot of the size of the Sabres.

Definitely an old list. The whole 2009 draft class seems to be missing and if there's one thing that we got in this year's draft, it was size:

Zack Kassian - 6'3", 210lbs

Brayden McNabb - 6'4", 200lbs

Marcus Foligno - 6'2", 200lbs

Mark Adams - 6'1", 187lbs

Conner Knapp - 6'5", 215lbs (big goalie)

Maxime Legault - 6'2", 195lbs

I've seen Kassian listed elsewhere at 215lbs. Mark Adams is the runt of that litter.

hockeydb.com has Byron at 5'-9" and 170lbs. That's a good 35 lbs in a year? Not that I doubt it, but that's a good weight gain in a year.

Definitely an old list. The whole 2009 draft class seems to be missing and if there's one thing that we got in this year's draft, it was size:

Zack Kassian - 6'3", 210lbs

Brayden McNabb - 6'4", 200lbs

Marcus Foligno - 6'2", 200lbs

Mark Adams - 6'1", 187lbs

Conner Knapp - 6'5", 215lbs (big goalie)

Maxime Legault - 6'2", 195lbs

I've seen Kassian listed elsewhere at 215lbs. Mark Adams is the runt of that litter.

Definitely old list.

Hockeysfuture has Myers listed at 6'8" and 211. His neck must have grown another inch. I thought I read somewhere he was up to 225 or so, even if true he still needs another 25-35 lbs. If that happens, look out!

Archived